PDA

View Full Version : Another Stupid Dog

Boris
01-31-2003, 05:13 PM
We have a puppy (8 months) that is supposed to grow into a big vicious Rottweiler. hah! he loves everybody. except for raccoons. Only threat he poses is that he might lick someone to death. You can take a big juicy dog bone out of his mouth and he doesn't even growl. just kind of looks at you with those puppy dog eyes and makes you feel bad.

Last night at about 3:00am the dog starts goin berzerk. I peek out the sliding glass door and sure enough that goddam raccoon is trying to sneak up on the dog dish. I let the dog out. He chases the raccoon around the corner of the house. He hitails it back inside about 5 seconds later with a slight whimper.

My better half is a concerned that we might have adopted a sissy dog. Not to worry though. I'm told the black dogs are the most delicious.

M2d
01-31-2003, 05:37 PM
careful with those nor cal 'coons. They're damn scary. I once saw a pack of them kicking ass on a medium sized dog in SF at night. poor pooch. I'd have jumped out of the car to save it, but I was scared for my own life.
the SF 'coons are a far cry from the cute, cuddly masked bandits you see in Disney movies. Pit bulls with striped tails, and fearless.

IrishHand
01-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Fear not - I've got a Doberman and she's a complete baby 99% of the time. However, when the occasion calls for it, she's aggressively protective of both my family and my property. So...if we're on a walk or a friend comes over she loves everybody. If someone walks by our backyard fence or she hears our neighbor come home, she barks and growls like a champion. It's kind of funny...she's scared of our (other) neighbor's pet lab whenever we're in out walking (the neighbor's lab is out by himself a lot), yet when that same lab starts digging under our backyard fence, our Doberman makes it abundandly clear that such an action will surely result in an abrupt termination of his life.

Really...all the 'vicious' dogs are generally only that way if they're brought up in a poor manner. Any dog given lots of love and dealt with fairly will turn into a great pet. It helps to understand the world from their perspective though...dogs have a much different view of you and the world. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Ray Zee
01-31-2003, 07:04 PM
sounds like you do have a sissy dog. what do you with the big juicy bone after you take it away from him. surely you DONT.

Boris
02-03-2003, 06:06 PM
When we went to puppy training class the instructor said we should work on taking bones and toys away from our dear little doggies and then give them back. They don't want our dogs to get any aggressive tendencies like protecting their food. I'm pretty sure we feed our dog way too much as he didn't seem to mind that much.

We're also not supposed to let the dog pee on trees and fire hydrants when we take him for walks. frequent peeing or territory marking is another sign of aggressive behavior. To be honest though I have a hard time telling the poor little guy that he is a bad doggy for going wee-wee outside.

In all honesty though I'm really pleased with our little Rottweiler. he has a very happy temperment and is very easy to train. We just love him.

Ray Zee
02-03-2003, 10:31 PM
puppy training class. my god boris you are from montana. san francisco has turned you into one of them.

btw when i am in san francisco i pee on trees and fire hydrants. where else can you go in a city.

Zeno
02-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Boris,

I would suggest that you do not keep the dog food outside, especially at night, bring the dish indoors. Raccoons are smart, tenacious animals and having them around when you have pets is not wise for a variety of reasons.

Keeping a loaded 4-10 shotgun by the door and having no qualms about using it is a good way to convince the little bandit to stay away. If you do not like guns or can't use them were you live, aggressive noise will sometimes do the trick, (beating pans with a sick etc.) at least for awhile. Once they start coming around any small amout of trash or interesting smells will bring them back regularly. My parents have to deal with these little beast all the time. They can be a problem.

Sounds like you have a sweet dog. He may change once he gets older through.

-Zeno

Jimbo
02-03-2003, 11:34 PM
Zeno,

I tried that beating pans with a stick trick and the next thing I knew a RAVE broke out. I was surrounded by nubile young women in gothic dress searching for the mosh pit.

Unfortunately I then woke up! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Boris
02-04-2003, 12:46 PM
don't get me started.