PDA

View Full Version : Breaking it to the family

HonestIago15
06-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I presently 4-table 20's and am soon going to move to 8-tabling 10's. I've been making good money and I'm learning, and I've decided that I want to try to use poker to pay for college. I'm pretty optimistic about it, and know that it's definately possible to do. My parents don't like the idea at all, however.

So here's my question: for those of you who have turned poker into a full or even part-time job, how did you get the important people around you to accept what you were doing, especially when you weren't completely positive that it was going to turn out in your favor? I have an ITM of 37% and an ROI of 17% at the 20's so I know I could use a little work but am still confident... anyways... what strategies did you use to convince family and friends that SNG's are a science, and are beatable to the point of very significant profitability?

kyro
06-28-2005, 04:27 PM
There are soooooo many posts about this. Honestly. Just check out the psychology forums or something.

AKQJ10
06-28-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just check out the psychology forums or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, like 5 a week there probably. Not to poo poo your question it because it's a valid issue.

Psych forum link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=psych)

jcm4ccc
06-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Write out a business plan with specific numbers.

Example:

I will play poker all July.
If I make $1000 in profit, I will play poker in August.
Otherwise, I will . . .

Get them to agree thst it's a reasonable plan.

gildwulf
06-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Results-based approach may falter if OP goes on a cold streak.

Colonel Kataffy
06-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Why do you need to break it to them? How were you paying for college before?

My advice is to play for 6 months and put 10,000 in the bank, then tell them. Having the money in the bank will be plenty of proof, and will give you somthing to dip into if you have a losing spell. Thats what I did, and my parents were a little suprised, but they couldn't really argue with the money in the bank.

The Yugoslavian
06-28-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Results-based approach may falter if OP goes on a cold streak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or is simply a 5-10% ROI player right now and his #s even out. Then it starts to look like a much more marginal way to make a living I'd imagine.

I'd personally be most convinced by a fairly detailed plan so your family knows you're not dicking around. A profit type schedule is good, as well as assurances that you are treating it like a job and are willing to supplement and/or investigate other measures if you hit a really bad streak (family may be worried you'll come looking for $$ help if things turn bad).

Yugoslav

Freudian
06-28-2005, 05:03 PM
1) Tell them that you sell crack to pay for college.
2) Wait a week.
3) Tell them you were just kidding, you are playing poker to pay for college.

skipperbob
06-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Tell them you are planning to go to Medical School which will cost them about 200 large; when they regain consciousness, spring the "poker" thing on them /images/graemlins/grin.gifNo problem /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Myst
06-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Make the money first. Seriously. Show them that you can be successful doing this and they wont question you.

At least thats how it was for my parents.

pergesu
06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Just move out of the house. It's way more fun to pay rent and make a ton of money playing poker than it is to follow your parents' rules and work a $8/hr