PDA

View Full Version : Vick

RacersEdge
06-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm a big Falcon fan, but I think I'm officially off the Michael Vick bandwagon. Passing accuracy and ability to read defenses are much more valuable skills in the NFL than raw athletic ability. Am I giving up on Vick too fast?

IronDragon1
06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big Falcon fan, but I think I'm officially off the Michael Vick bandwagon. Passing accuracy and ability to read defenses are much more valuable skills in the NFL than raw athletic ability. Am I giving up on Vick too fast?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's safe to give up on him until he actually has downfield targets who aren't worthless pieces of crap

UOPokerPlayer
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
You're crazy. Is there anyone more valuable to their team than Vick? They went to the NFC Championship last year, and were head and shoulders above everyone in the NFC but Philly. Without Vick? They get a pocket passer who can read defenses and throw to who? Crumpler's a stud, but without a real outside threat (Price hasn't been anywhere near who they wanted him to be), Defenses can hone in on Crumpler and the passing game goes nowhere. Teams put eight in the box and the running game dies as well. You have to realize that usually every game, the best linebacker on the opposition spends the entire game just shadowing Vick. He completed 56% of his passes last years for 2300 yards. That's what a decent pocket quarterback will do, and they probably don't do it with that receiving corps. Throw in that the guy averages 7.5 ypc and changes the entire way that teams play defense against him, and he's great. If you took a fantasy draft in football of every player right now, he probably goes #1.

Vote4Pedro
06-28-2005, 05:18 PM
picking Vick #1 is spewing

J.R.
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
ever hear of a quaterback named peyton manning?

UOPokerPlayer
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
We had a thread about this awhile back. It's pretty clear taking the number 1 pick is pretty bad no matter who you take. Trading down is the best option. Who else do you take #1? A RB? a defensive guy?

yoadrians
06-28-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're crazy. Is there anyone more valuable to their team than Vick?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I believe there are some players with 'equal' value.

Brett Favre. Priest Holmes. Peyton Manning. Donovan McNabb. Daunte Culpepper.

Packers, Chiefs, Colts, Eagles and Vikings are all garbage without these players on their rosters. Just like the Falcons are trash without Vick.

BadBoyBenny
06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I think Vick makes more of an impact than any of these players, and that each has had a better supporting cast.

I think one of the advantages to having Vick on your team is that he is a unique situation for a defensive coordinator to plan for, completely different from the rest of the NFL.

[censored]
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
You're a Falcons fan, what more do you want to the guy to do. You're team is filled with losers and yet when he's healthy you win in the playoffs. You think that is unrelated?

RacersEdge
06-29-2005, 01:00 AM
True - the biggest slack to cut him is that his receivers are pretty weak with almost no speed. But they keep trying to teach him to be a passer - I don't think he will pick it up. I could be wrong, but I think you have to have some ability there to start with, and his abilities are all athletic. He's a phenom as an athlete goes, but how long before he takes a hit that knocks him out of a game?

judgesmails
06-29-2005, 03:37 AM
There is not a player more important to their team than Vick is to the Falcons. That said, he cannot play this style much longer than 2 more seasons - he will get hurt and slow down. If he wants to have a long career, he needs to develop his passing skills some and run a little less. He has a very strong arm. Maybe with some better recievers, he will improve.