PDA

View Full Version : Jazz trade up to the third pick

Mano
06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
According to this ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/news/story?id=2096328) the Jazz have traded up to the third pick in tonights draft. Who do you think they should take, Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

J.R.
06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
should it really be in question? but the jazz worked out williams and not paul.

IronDragon1
06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
According to this ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2005/news/story?id=2096328) the Jazz have traded up to the third pick in tonights draft. Who do you think they should take, Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deron is the better player now (and even then there's not much difference) but Chris Paul has the most potential out of anyone in this draft other than Marvin Williams (maybe Martel Webster) so if I were utah I'd take him

Phoenix1010
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I think they're both overrated. They deserve to be this high in this draft, but I don't think either of them are going to have great careers. This is a weak draft IMO. I'd take Paul over Williams.

goofball
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

goddamn [censored] blazers management. (yes, let's trade a high pick for a marginal pick and two shitty picks). At least get an actual player or something. Jesus fuckign christ.

Mano
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
So you think this trade favors the Jazz?

Aces McGee
06-28-2005, 03:50 PM
who did you want them to take at 3 that they won't be able to take at 6?

-McGee

J.R.
06-28-2005, 03:55 PM
given their point gaurd situation I'd hope paul or d. williams. new orleans is definitely taking one (no baron), and I can't imagine charlotte passing on a pg, especially the hometown paul. brevin knight is servicable but no stud and is like 30.

FeelGoodAboutHood
06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
I actually think this is a good deal by the Blazers, in what should be a deep draft with no can't miss, franchise type guys that I can see. they think that telfair is the real deal, and while I'm not sure, you need to give the kid more than a year to see. if they weren't going to take a point guard, then moving down to six is really only moving down one slot, because Charlotte is going to take whichever point guard utah doesn't. If I were a Portland fan, I'd be much more worried about having Zach Randolph making big money than about this deal.

Aces McGee
06-28-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
given their point gaurd situation I'd hope paul or d. williams

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think they'd give up that early on Sebastian Telfair?

-McGee

J.R.
06-28-2005, 03:59 PM
sorry, i thought you were talking about why utah went up. i don't see too much loss for portland dropping 3 spots, 2 pgs go so only charolette to worry about.

Aces McGee
06-28-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they weren't worried about portland

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking about Utah, I think. I was responding to goofball, who I thought was upset at Portland's front office for making this move.

I agree that the Jazz'll take Williams or Paul. I was simply saying to goofball that the Blazers are quite likely to get the same guy they wanted at 3 at 6, with two extra first rounders thrown in.

-McGee

Mano
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Seems like a pretty good deal for both sides. Utah desperately needs a point guard, and the best bets are Paul and Williams, while as you said, Portland may get the guy they wanted anyways.

On another note, rumors here in Salt Lake were circulating about another deal with Portland involving Randolf and Boozer.

Aces McGee
06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On another note, rumors here in Salt Lake were circulating about another deal with Portland involving Randolf and Boozer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was an interesting rumor. It would give the Jazz the better player and the higher pick, but it would also give them the bigger head case and more expensive contract.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a pretty good deal for both sides

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as Utah is right about Deron Williams, then I agree.

-McGee

goofball
06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
if they could trade randolph, even if they were able to get a minor league baseball player (and rid of his salary) i would take back a lot of the things i've said about the blazers front office.

#27 picks are almost always useless. So we're banking that utah will suck again next year and we'll get a good pick (usually they have provisions that exclude lottery picks though) Otherwise we're just trading #3 for #6.

goofball
06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you think this trade favors the Jazz?

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as i can tell, every trade made by the blazers for the last 5 years has favored the other team.

pudley4
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if they could trade randolph, even if they were able to get a minor league baseball player (and rid of his salary) i would take back a lot of the things i've said about the blazers front office.

#27 picks are almost always useless. So we're banking that utah will suck again next year and we'll get a good pick (usually they have provisions that exclude lottery picks though) Otherwise we're just trading #3 for #6.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Detroit's 2006 pick...so good luck hoping they suck /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aces McGee
06-28-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#27 picks are almost always useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

2004: Beno Udrih was taken 28, and Anderson Varejao, Chris Duhon, Trevor Ariza, and Justin Reed were all taken in the second. Jury is still out on Varejao, Ariza, and Reed (both have shown promise in limited playing time) while Udrih in his first year proved a capable backup to Parker, and Duhon was huge for the Bulls.

2003: Kendrick Perkins, Boston's likely starting center next year, was taken 27th. Leandrinho Barbosa was 28th, and Josh Howard 29th. Luke Walton, Willie Green, Keith Bogans, Kyle Korver, Mo Williams, and James Jones were all taken in the second round.

2002: A rough year. But Carlos Boozer was taken in the second round.

2001: Jamaal Tinsley was 27, Tony Parker was 28. The second round included Trenton Hassell, Gilbert Arenas, Earl Watkins, and Bobby Simmons.

2000: Primoz Brzec went 27. Marko Jaric, Eduardo Najera, Michael Redd and Brian Cardinal all went in the second round.

The point is, there is talent to be had there almost every year. This year is one of the deepest drafts in history. The Blazers are still going to get the guy they were planning on taking, and they get two extra picks. What's the problem?

-McGee

IndieMatty
06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
This is possibly the deepest draft in history. Guarantee we get some great players in the second round.