PDA

View Full Version : Finishing One Out of the Money

MagicMan08
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I know I could have played better and different, but sometimes it is inevitable to finish one out of the money. What do you guys do in that situation? I know it has happend to a lot of you if you play any amount of poker.

bruce
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Play in the next event!

[censored] happens, hopefully you will have learned something.

Bruce

mlagoo
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM
it's generally referred to as "the bubble," and its bound to happen. although having it happen in MTTs is a bit more rare.

typically the guys on this forum (rightfully) play very aggressive when it is close to the bubble, because a lot of players will tighten up, trying to sneak into the money, and it is a nice place to build a decent stack.

the only advice i can give is don't really think about "the bubble" that much. in these online tournaments, for the most part, the only real money is in the final tables anyway... so just think about constantly building your stack and putting yourself in a position to win -- not wasting three hours so you can win $5 by going out a few places into the money.

Pat Southern
06-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I tell myself that even though I lost, the move I made will help make me more money in the long run. If you have trouble grasping this, play ring games for a while and get used to thinking long-term.

Or I tell myself how stupid I am for making a retarded play...

locutus2002
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
The "bubble" is an interesting phenomenon because there is an observable tightness in play, and reduction in the rate at which players exit the tournament.

Although most players will tell you they play looser and more agressive on the bubble the evidence is to the contrary.

I wonder why the bubble exists when the ITM payout is so small that it should not affect a players behavior (<$5). I am guessing that people know that there will be some serious gambling after the bubble bursts as players rush to make the next pay level.

locutus2002
06-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I usually make the retarded play.

MagicMan08
06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys for your very well thought responses.