BottlesOf
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
This would rule. Thoughts?

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what you're talking about.

2+2 wannabe
06-28-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MaxPower
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Great idea - especially if it were compatible with Firefox live bookmarks (or whatever they call them).

nolanfan34
06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, someone explain the RSS feed thing. I know I could google it, but I'm more interested in someone explaining it to me in simple terms, terms that an idiot like me can understand.

NoTalent
06-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Instead of you going to the forum read the posts, the posts come to you.

asofel
06-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Selected by who? Moderators? Page views/replies? Ratings? Cool idea worth talking about.

IndieMatty
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
This would be titties.

IndieMatty
06-28-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, someone explain the RSS feed thing. I know I could google it, but I'm more interested in someone explaining it to me in simple terms, terms that an idiot like me can understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really Simple Syndication. Basically it's a little program that runs on your system tray, and we'll alert you with the text when a site/blog/news is updated.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Selected by who? Moderators? Page views/replies? Ratings? Cool idea worth talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, but I don't read or want to read every post.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really Simple Syndication. Basically it's a little program that runs on your system tray, and we'll alert you with the text when a site/blog/news is updated.

[/ QUOTE ]
So this damned thing would be going apeshit in my system tray when there's a new OOT post every 6 seconds?

J.R.
06-28-2005, 03:34 PM
that's probabaly why the first word is "selected"

BottlesOf
06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
It's not only a system tray thing, but many people have them on their own sites or on a My! Yahoo or something, so they could come to your homepage. And you could check it as little or as much as you wanted.

This would be especially helpful for those who can't access twoplustwo.com at work, although I think most can.

I or somone would just pick a few threads throughout the day. A mix of strategy and the 2+2 craziness we all know and love.

I'm still trying to think this one through...

Maulik
06-28-2005, 03:39 PM
this is a very good idea. I 'bump it'

AsiaKurosawa
06-28-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This would rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

RSS for each forum would be great, so you wouldnt have to get a host of forum topics/updates you didn't want/weren't interested in.

RSS for keywords would be great as well, but probably too specific to get a good groundswell of support for. (I'd use it, but may be more hassle than anyone would be interested in.) ALTHOUGH, you could tailor ads being pushed via rss to the keywords (a keyword search on GamesGrid could come pushed w. a GG banner, a rakeback search could come pushed w/ a rotation of rakeback advertisers, etc...) which may make up for the specialized nature of rss keyword searches in addition to simple forum updates...

You could always set up a bloglines (or any other rss reader) just for 2p2 so it wouldnt have to clutter your "regular" rss reader, and if full text (rss 2.0 i think is one) was available -- people who cant access forums from work/restricted locations could see each update as a workaround to restrictions.

Problems w/ rss would be a skip-around of ad banners/revenue, ALTHOUGH a rss-feed with forced banners would be a great way around that (you couldnt get the saturation of the forums as far as ads go, but forced rss ads are more & more common now esp on full-text feeds)... I think anyone who'd buy a rss-only/specific banner would be brillig (don't know if ad space would be just rotated or if selling rss-only ads would be possible/desireable). Also, if you went to summary/partial rss only with no banners, people interested in the topic would have to come back to the forums (and see banners). But I like full text feed and fully support the use of ads within them if I can get full text.

I prefer forums (as opposed to reading them via rss), but rss is great/brilliant/bearing my 1stborn child, etc.

M2d
06-28-2005, 04:08 PM
if Jake "selected" just the threads he was involved in, it would amount to the same thing and viewing every post.

dhaimon
06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

AsiaKurosawa
06-28-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if Jake "selected" just the threads he was involved in, it would amount to the same thing and viewing every post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this idea, rss for threads you subscribe to and/or have posted in.

Lawrence Ng
06-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Ms. Kurosawa,

Would it be possible to only RSS certain posters as well?

Lawrence

AsiaKurosawa
06-28-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Ms. Kurosawa,

Would it be possible to only RSS certain posters as well?

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i'd assume so (i like rss a lot & ride it to an extreme, but i'm no where near an expert as far as its workings-- just a sated end-user)... 2p2 has a "show all users posts" and i'd ass-u-me you could throw an rss feed into that mix. /images/graemlins/smile.gif