PDA

View Full Version : Buying used tires

Hoopster81
06-28-2005, 02:08 PM
So, I need to buy a couple tires for my car. New ones seem so expensive, and my GF suggested just buying used ones. Anyone have any experience in this area? How much should I be willing to spend to get a couple decent used tires? Is there anything in particular I should ask for (re-treads, etc.)? Or is this a bad idea to begin with?

My car is a Camry 4-door (to give an idea on what type of tires I need).

Thanks

Shajen
06-28-2005, 02:13 PM
define "too expensive".

You should be able to get no name tires for around $30-$40 a tire.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty damned hesitant to buy used tires...

Bluffoon
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah I always figured decent tires are important. Those four little patches are your only contact with the road. A decent set of new tires and a good balance should run you at least few hundred. Make the investment.

I know maintaining your car is expensive but I suggest getting in the habit of taking good care of your car. Accidents/Breakdowns/Tows and Emergency Repairs are even more expensive than regular maintanance.

chaas4747
06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Retreads are usually tires that were made to be retread and reused again (usually for large trucks). I don't think you will be able to get these in a small car tire. I would not buy used, as I think you will probably end up replacing them within the next 6 months, and the savings will not be that much.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Buy new. You won't save money buying used. They'll just wear out faster and you'll need new ones again anyway.

Hoopster81
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
How much should I be spending for a generic new tire? One responder said $30-40 per tire - I thought it would be more. Anyone recommend a good chain store or should I just call around with the yellow pages?

Thanks again

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much should I be spending for a generic new tire? One responder said $30-40 per tire - I thought it would be more. Anyone recommend a good chain store or should I just call around with the yellow pages? Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the car. Try Sam's or Costco. Also NTW and Sears.

Edit: Also, they constantly have sales on tires. Check the Sunday paper.

Los Feliz Slim
06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
I bought new tires at tirerack.com, then had them installed locally. There was, as I recall, significant savings.

chaas4747
06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
If you have a Tires Plus in your town they will usually have a special on this size of tires, and offer lifetime balancing and tire rotation on any tires you buy there.

pheasant tail (no 18)
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I've bought lots of used tires when in graduate school and broke. Lots of times, a person has a nice ride and curb one or run over a nail and the dealers tell them that they must get a new set, that they cannot just replace one. So there are 3 tires discarded w/ 5k miles or less. Often they can be picked up for $10-$15. Just make sure you see the replacement befor they put it on.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've bought lots of used tires when in graduate school and broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why you don't buy used tires. Unless you lived next door to a nail factory, there's no reason a set shouldn't have lasted you through grad school and beyond.

pheasant tail (no 18)
06-28-2005, 04:06 PM
3 tires (different wheels), 5 years of grad school. I suppose I exagerated. Not lots. One was a dud, 2 were great and outlasted that piece of crap I had them on. The dud was obviously a dud but I needed it then and was totally broke. Thought"if this lasts for 2 weeks..."

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 tires (different wheels), 5 years of grad school. I suppose I exagerated. Not lots. One was a dud, 2 were great and outlasted that piece of crap I had them on. The dud was obviously a dud but I needed it then and was totally broke. Thought"if this lasts for 2 weeks..."

[/ QUOTE ]

So you were actually buying tires one at a time? Mismatched tires? I guess if you're really broke ya do what ya can. If it's your only option then it just is.

Ray Zee
06-28-2005, 06:34 PM
try the place where you get your used toothbrush and comb.

seriouly get new, the cost to mount and balance garbage aint worth dying for.

jakethebake
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try the place where you get your used toothbrush and comb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, Ray! At least you didn't say condoms. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

siccjay
06-28-2005, 07:10 PM
There is nothing wrong with buying used tires if they are in good shape. I have a buddy that had a set come off a new monte carlo just like mine and I got for 15 a tire. Usually good ones will be 20-30 a tire. They wouldn't sell them if they were unsafe.

gavrilo
06-28-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They wouldn't sell them if they were unsafe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a friend who owned a shop who sold used tires. This guy would get truckloads of used tires from different places. The tires he got ranged from shitty to almost new.

You can find good used tires, but if you don't know the seller or don't know anything about tires, I would say just buy new.