PDA

View Full Version : settle an argument

Swiss Cheese
06-28-2005, 01:21 PM
1 table SNG on stars chips are hero with 2800 leader sitting to heros left with 8000 and player not in hand with 2700. all chip counts are approximate. my friend is in small blind with blinds at 150/300. he raises preflop first in with k/7 off to 800 BB (who he calls weak) calls.

Flop is 5-5-5 hero(my friend) goes all-in. I say that play is terrible because the only hand that can call is a hand that has him beat, he says that lesser hands will call because of his oponets chip stack. We are looking for all opinions. Please settle the argument and explain to him why he is wrong.

Swiss Cheese

jcm4ccc
06-28-2005, 01:31 PM
This is hard to judge because your explanation of the hand is difficult to follow. How many people are left? 4? 3? What are the exact chip counts of everybody?

Swiss Cheese
06-28-2005, 02:01 PM
3 players in the hand

Dan Rutter
06-28-2005, 02:10 PM
I think the reason he should be moving in the pot is to win the pot, and get BB to fold. He does not really want a call. He wants to move first and pick up the pot. If he checks BB may move in with anything. Then he will have to call off all his chips with K7 high if he wants to play. What is your suggestion as how your friend should play the hand?

jcm4ccc
06-28-2005, 02:11 PM
3 players in the hand, it's not terrible but not great. He has the other player covered, and he's hoping for a fold. With 4 players in the hand, it's a better play, though really not that good. It seems pretty clear that he's trying to buy the pot. If the other player has a halfway decent hand, he should call.

Dobbs1
06-28-2005, 02:13 PM
If your friend went in this hand intending on throwing all his chips in and hoping for a fold, this is an OK spot. Villian might call if Villian thought he had the best hand pre-flop because he almost certainly still has the best hand.

Swiss Cheese
06-28-2005, 02:28 PM
the argument is that the only hand that calls you is a hand that beats you, he thinks a lesser hand then k/7 might call with the chip astack that the other player has. I think it is a difficult hand to play out of position here. I also believe with that flop there is an argument to shut down or make a minimium size bet to buy pot and possibly make the other player believe you have a monster, thus saving chips for a better spot if you are called.

Swiss Cheese