PDA

View Full Version : Two Pair on the Flop

bluewilde
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
$5+1 (still trying to move up)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1255)
Button (t1920)
Hero (t1490)
BB (t903)
UTG (t1490)
MP (t942)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, BB calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, Hero calls t150, BB calls t150.

Turn: (t1050) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

River: (t1050) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, BB folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: t1450

1) Is completing this in the first place OK
2) I bet out because the flop is so coordinated and don't wanna give freecards
3) I'm lost at the call and reraise. What can these guys have? I figured draws and called.
4) On the turn I considered myself done with the hand because half the draws against me just made their hand (but I get lucky on the river)

I'm not sure I played this wrong, but I'm generally confused so I thought I should post. Thanks,

Blue

zambonidrivr
06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
i would not get involved with this pot in the first place. i just stop thinking when i flop 2 pair and just push.

you're biggest leak is playing the $5's. it's tough enough to beat the rake dog. play something else until you can play the 10's

therock
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
Completing the SB was a mistake.

I would overbet the flop (250 - 300) with the intention of pushing a non-scary turn. Once you get raised on the flop I would push.

jcm4ccc
06-28-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't have a problem with you completing. I wouldn't do it, personally, but it's less than 2% of your stack. I think it's an uninteresting argument as to whether you should complete or not.

Now, on the flop, I think you were right to bet first.

The raise by the CO to 300 is a little confusing and worrisome. Obviously the CO does not expect you to fold for 150 extra chips. So the CO likes his hand. Nonetheless, it seems unlikely that he has a straight. I would put him on an overpair.

Still, of all the things you could do when the flop is raised, calling the raise is the worst. Your hand is very unlikely to improve. Plus, you're allowing the BB to stay in the hand. With the raise, you either want to fold or to raise the CO all-in. I would raise him all-in.

Dan Rutter
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Completing in the SB is fine, you are getting good pot odds. Betting out on this flop is correct. When he min raises you I would probably push. If you figure draws calling is wrong, you have give them the wrong odds to draw. I do not think the 6 is as scary of a card as you think it is.

kyro
06-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Fold PF. To whoever said completing OK because it's like 2% of your stack needs to learn the difference between pot odds and stack odds. Position is good too.

Good flop bet. Top two on a coordinated board is a great place to lead out strong. Once it's reraised though, you have to realize you're at a 5+1, and just push. You'll get called by A7, 76, and all sorts of junk. By just calling, you're letting them off the hook too easy.

bluewilde
06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

Seems to be some contention about completing PF. Because I'm hearing "No," and "meh...ok" and no outright advocation, I probably wanna tighten up a bit from small blind.

More importantly, I look back now and calling makes no sense based on my read. I really need to be pushing my strong hands and this is a good example of where I hit a good hand, but am too scared to push it w/o turning/rivering a near lock. I'm really gonna try to go through my next set of games betting/pushing my solid hands.

Thanks,

Blue

kyro
06-28-2005, 03:43 PM
This is the proper thinking at the very low levels. You will get called by many many bad hands.