PDA

View Full Version : Bad Beat Marathon

mbk808
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
What are the odds of this happening in a 2 day session?

I'm Dealt:

KK lose to AA
KK, flop a set, lose to straight
KK, flop a set, lose to flush
KK, flop a set, lose to straight....Again!!
KK, Flop a set, lose to full house
AA, flop a set, full house on river, lost to Quads
JJ, flop a set, lost to higher set

I swear all this happened in just 2 days, funny thing is .. I still ended up a few bucks ahead

TomCollins
06-28-2005, 12:02 PM
About the same as the odds of you getting flamed when you post this.

kyro
06-28-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
About the same as the odds of you getting flamed when you post this.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. it's 1 - P(getting flamed when you post this)

Nathan183
06-28-2005, 01:57 PM
I'd say about the same as anyone here caring.

For all we know, none of these were bad beats. KK vs AA certainly isn't. And you maybe have played the others poorly, allowing others to draw out on you.

danzasmack
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are the odds of this happening in a 2 day session?

I'm Dealt:

KK lose to AA
KK, flop a set, lose to straight
KK, flop a set, lose to flush
KK, flop a set, lose to straight....Again!!
KK, Flop a set, lose to full house
AA, flop a set, full house on river, lost to Quads
JJ, flop a set, lost to higher set

I swear all this happened in just 2 days, funny thing is .. I still ended up a few bucks ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

The only "bad beat" i see is losing with A's full to quads. It happens. Flopping a set of K's and losing to a full house means you had KK vs. AA... That happens.

I think you are exaggerating.

And here is your answer to every "what are the odds!?" question in both poker and life - Apparently not 0.

Somewhere, somebody has gotten AA many hands in a row - and lost with them all. There are that many hands of poker dealt (and more) to make this event near certain.

The best part is none of these win you the BBJ on PP hahaha

Gordon Scott
06-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I agree for the most part but.

[ QUOTE ]
Flopping a set of K's and losing to a full house means you had KK vs. AA... That happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that Ax on a board of KAAxy happens more than AA over KK and they both sting.

Funny thing I flopped sets twice (one over set one under) and got beat by quads in a weekend playing 10-20. It really sucked. About two weeks ago I Flopped quads twice in 4 hours and got great action in the same 10-20 game. They go around and they come around. It all works out even in the end.

Best of Luck

benneh
06-28-2005, 04:38 PM
jesus. you get dealt KK and AA an awful lot in just 2 days. i get maybe half of those and even then i dont flop a set nearly that much.

RiverDood
06-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Peeling away the peripheral details, it sounds like you're startled that six premium hands (KK and AA) didn't hold up even once. The JJ hand could have lost for all kinds of reasons, most of them uninteresting. I'll omit that from the analysis.

Playing AA to the river against nine opponents, you'll win about 30% of the time. I don't know the prospects for KK and they surely must be smaller. But let's assume for the sake of easy math that they're the same.

In that case, the odds of losing all six hands are 0.7 to the sixth, or 0.117.

Now you may say it's silly to assume that all your opponents stayed in to the river. But I'm sure that in the hundreds of hands that you didn't tell us about, you were a luck box in at least a few of them. Maybe six. Maybe more.

Anyway, we share your pain. I raised AA preflop in a low-stakes limit game once and lost to a 72o who stayed in for god knows why. The flop came Q74. I bet some more. He stayed in. The turn was a 7. We both bet it and the river, which was a blank. His hand was good. But I didn't curse, scream or post. I forgot totally about the hand, knowing that it was just a strange random occurence that would soon be offset by random luck in my favor.

Klepton
06-29-2005, 07:18 AM
this will not end well for you

12AX7
06-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Wow, sounds like the week I just had except mine were more like AA get cracked by 72o that flopped two pair and ended up as full house. (Literally!)

Glad to know I'm not alone!

But, I must be a worse player than you, I'm certainly not a few buck ahead!

Thalum
06-30-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, sounds like the week I just had except mine were more like AA get cracked by 72o that flopped two pair and ended up as full house. (Literally!)

Glad to know I'm not alone!
But, I must be a worse player than you, I'm certainly not a few buck ahead!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, this exact same thing happened to me in a home game last weekend. Of course, the problem was that I had AA on the button, and everyone folded to me, so I decided not to raise the blinds so that I could get paid off...big blind had 72o, flopped 2 pair, and after all the money went in, finished me off with a full house on the river. I was mad, but nmot that mad as he had a free play on the BB due to me trying the slowplay

Thank god for rebuys /images/graemlins/cool.gif

allintuit
07-01-2005, 12:01 AM
I had the absolute worst sequence of 3 hands in a row 2 nights ago. The first hand I had AA, against a maniac, I pushed in for about 200 dollars and he called me with K7 and rivered a straight. The next hand, I flopped a set with 44 and ran up against a set of Aces. The next hand I had AQ, flop was QQ9, I go all in and 99 calls me. Those are bad beats.

rivered_again
07-01-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The next hand I had AQ, flop was QQ9, I go all in and 99 calls me. Those are bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a bad beat - you were behind preflop, behind on the flop, and presumably behind on the turn and river as well. Just bad luck.

For a bad beat with AQ, try this (happened to me yesterday):

AQ vs QQ. Board is A389Q

Not only a bad beat, but very cruel as it enticed me to bet strong on the river with my "measly" top 2 pair.