PDA

View Full Version : What if the Atlanta Falcons used a Single Wing Offense?

Jeff W
06-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Vince Lombardi: What would happen if someone came out with a single-wing offense? It would embarrass the hell out of us. (http://www.johntreed.com/singlewing.html)

trevorwc
06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I realize that Iowa high school football is a smide different than the NFL, but there is exactly one team in the state that uses the single wing - and they're in the final four pretty much EVERY single year. And it's obviously with OUT a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Vick running it.

Problems with using it in the NFL:
A) Defenses are mostly smart enough to not get caught up in all the mis-direction
B) Defenses are fast enough to make up for a lot of the times when they are fooled.

It would be very interesting though!

Bulldog
06-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I can relate to this. I coach HS basketball and there is one team in our area that plays exclusively 2-3 zone defense. They work at it all the time and they are good at it, so the one or two times a year you play them, you have to do all this extra prep and it is hard to beat. On the flip side, if they get behind they are screwed (one coach stalled the whole game and won 11-5) and their players don't learn how to play man-to-man defense.

It seems the same would be true for the Single Wing teams.

beerbandit
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if the Atlanta Falcons used a Single Wing Offense?

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt they just fly in a circle?

MarkL444
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
i saw tj duckett at lunch yesterday

Jeff W
06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

on_thg
06-28-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw tj duckett at lunch yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he injure himself during the salad course?

mmbt0ne
06-28-2005, 02:35 PM
They would have the same results as the current stretch offense?

If they can get another receiving threat other than Crumpler they'll be in pretty good shape.

Toro
06-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Vick would have to learn how to drop kick. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
06-28-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty damn funny, on a lot of different levels.

I certainly think that a team like Atlanta could utilize something like this on an occassional basis. But NFL defenses are just too good. If DB's are able to stack the line, no running offense is good enough to beat that, the D just adjusts too well.

youtalkfunny
06-29-2005, 05:36 PM
OK, I'll be the one to represent all of us dummies:

What is the single-wing offense?

(While we're at it, could someone define the terms "Cover-Two" and "Redshirt" for me? I don't know, and no one I ask knows.)

Jeff W
06-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Wikipedia and Google are your friends for stuff like this.

In NCAA, a player who red shirts gets another year of eligibility, but he can't play in his red-shirt year.

Cover 2 (http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1437187.html)

There is a link in my original post about the single wing.