PDA

View Full Version : Glasses or Contacts?

Mars357
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
I've been wearing glasses for about two years now. I really hate wearing glasses. I have an appointment tomorrow with the eye doctor and I'm thinking about switching to contacts. I've heald off on the contacts because I'm not sure I'll be very good at putting them in and taking them out. I've been thinking aobut getting my prescription for contacts and getting a pair of disposables just to try them out.

Can anyone offer any insight on contacts? Which are better, hard or soft (there's some joke fodder), disposable or non-disposable... any brands that you've found to be more comfortable than others?

Do you have to take disposables out every night? I'd love something I can put in and leave alone for a week or more....

Thanks!

Mars

hoopsie44
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I've been wearing contacts for 25 years and they're light years ahead of glasses. I wear JNJ Acuvue disposable. Wear them 2 weeks and throw them out. I don't even think hard lenses are around anymore. You should take the lenses out each night although there have been plenty of nights I haven't done it. Have also gone swimming with them and have had no problems, although this isn't recommended. Inserting them and taking them out is a cup of tea. Your eye care professional can show you how to do that in 15 minutes. I keep a spare care of glasses but I honestly can't remember last time I wore them.

namknils
06-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I've had contacts for many years. Soft contacts are much much better, the doctor won't even think about hard contacts unless you have some sort of eye condition that would specifically call for them (something more than just weak eyesight).

I think the brand I have is Accuview, which are comfortable for me, but the eye doctor will probably recommend a brand for you that should fit your eye.

I have disposables but I do take them out every night. Once you get your prescription you can order your contacts from 1-800-CONTACTS and you'll have all the contacts you need.

Oh, also, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to put contacts in and out, I am really sensitive about my eyes, but I did it and got used to it.

Shajen
06-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Contacts are much better than glasses. I've worn glasses since I was 10 years old, so 20 years now.

I have a slight astigmatism as well, so when I first started wearing contacts, I had to wear hard lenses. They were hell on the eyes. Hard contacts cause your eyelids to develop callouses. They suck.

Unless you have a very weird eye condition, chances are you'll get soft lenses.

Soft lenses are a lot better than glasses, and 100X better than hard lenses.

Putting them in and out is relatively simple, if you have normal motor skills it shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest argument (for me) to get contacts was glasses pushed my ears out, making me look like a human radar dish. Also, sunglasses are really nice.

Also, they now make extended wear disposable contacts, I'm wearing some now. I take them out about once a week (per my optometrist's instructions) and they work like a champ.

HTHAL.

swolfe
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
LASIK

before that i wore my glasses except when i was playing volleyball or something.

gaming_mouse
06-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Lasik. It was the best thing I ever did.

I wore glasses for 3 years and contacts for 3 years. Getting my natural vision back was like being reborn.

It is so worthwhile that I would recommend going into debt to get the surgery, if that's what it takes.

gm

Maulik
06-28-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Lasik. It was the best thing I ever did.

I wore glasses for 3 years and contacts for 3 years. Getting my natural vision back was like being reborn.

I want 99.9% safety with Lasik before I consider that an option.

It is so worthwhile that I would recommend going into debt to get the surgery, if that's what it takes.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

Soul Daddy
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Glasses. I had contacts once, but never got used to them.

gaming_mouse
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
do some research on it. I think it will convince you that it's safe.

wonderwes
06-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Contacts are great for one simple reason. 24/7 20/20 vision.

I have the 2 week disposable contacts. They can last for months though. I have been sleeping in mine for over 7+ years. I hardly ever notice the are in there. I can even swim with mine in (though I wouldnt recommend it). Contacts are one of the best things you can do for yourself. Having nonstop 20/20 vision is great.

faman
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
For anyone who's nervous about trying LASIK, there's a non-surgical alternative that gives similar results: "Contact Lens" Retainer (http://www.beretainer.com/main.aspx?PageID=10200) .

The idea is that you wear these while you sleep, and they reshape your cornea (similar to how a retainer reshapes your teeth, hence the name). You take them out during the day, and your eyes retain the shape allowing you to see.

It doesn't sound all that pleasant but I have two friends that are doing this and both love it (and say that it doesn't hurt at all). It makes no permanent changes to your eyes, so if you don't like it you just stop wearing the contacts at night and your eyes go back to normal.

gaming_mouse
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Contacts are great for one simple reason. 24/7 20/20 vision.

I have the 2 week disposable contacts. They can last for months though. I have been sleeping in mine for over 7+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd be careful with this. i did this too and eventually i got a really nasty and dangerous infection. it was the reason i decided to toss my contacts and get lasik.

also, IMO, contacts were a pain.