PDA

View Full Version : KK 1st hand.

winky51
06-28-2005, 07:35 AM
$300 tournament 5000 chips, 50/100 blinds

1st hand I get K club K heart UTG and make my standard 300 raise. All fold to Button which is an unknown bad player. Without thought he reraises to 500. Now what are the chances I run into aces here? Ya I know what they are.

I reraise to 1000 and he calls. POT 2000.

Flop comes J spades, 8 diamonds, 7 diamonds.

I bet 1500 into the pot, he moves all in. I have 2500 chips of 5000 left. I think of the range of hands he would do this with and take into consideration he didnt put one second into thought about his hand and play. Conclusion is that he is the typical bad player. AA, QQ, JJ, TT, 99 come to mind. But TT and 99 I don't think he would reraise PF or move all in there on a whim. Only hands left would be AA, (KK fat chance), QQ, and JJ. Even QQ he would have to think a second about it since I should strength PF and Flop. Only 2 hands that are left are AA and JJ so I fold considering thats 2/3 of the reasonable hands he could have with an all in. I lose half my chips.

Later I won a couple hands and tied one. Then my AJ ran into A7 and he flopped 2 pair to my 16 outer. Any spade, any 8, any Jack, + backdoor str8 to beat him and swoosh.

Was this a correct analysis? Should I have pushed harder preflop? My instincts told me I was in trouble when he just calls my preflop reraise. Considering he was a bad player did I give him to much credit? Overthought the hand?

He proceeded to lose all 7500 his chips faster than I got knocked out of the tournament with crap hands. But he never made a move unless he had it.

I have played in 3 $200+ tournaments now, won #2 (+$5000), ran into a set my 1st hand #2, ran into AA or a set #3. Some luck on #2 and #3.

billyb
06-28-2005, 09:30 AM
i would have called.
if he has aces or jacks you are behind but almost everything else you are ahead.

jmho
Billyb

luvrhino
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
He could have had many more hands than just those. A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, both of which would be about a coin-flip against your hand. {K,Q,T}/images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif wouldn't be especially noteworthy for an online player. He could have a non-suited AJ...remember, not only is there a good chance that an unknown online player is bad, he suspects you're worse.

As for calling his All-in, you're risking 2500 (and your tourney) to win 7650, which is over 3-to-1 pot odds. For higher buy-in tourneys, i don't like risking my stack on close decisions early since i feel like i'm the superior player. However, in your position, i'd guess my chances of winning after this bet by an unknown player are a little better than 50% and no matter how superior i think i am, i couldn't pass up those pot odds.

Since i do hate close decisions early, my pre-flop my re-raise would be much larger, making it anywhere from 2000-5000 total...i'm definitely All-in on Party Poker. With a reraise of 500 more, you're giving him better than 3-to-1 odds to call, which makes it correct to call with any ace. I don't want to give him an opportunity to flop an ace or flush on me without making him pay a big premium. I realize that some would like to trap here )and in that case would just call Villian's reraise...your raise accomplishes little except building the pot and making him more likely to chase post-flop.

However, i'd avoid trapping with KK early mainly because it's too risky, but also it might ruin more profitable traps i'd set later after the stakes are raised. Online players aren't generally observant, but most have enough of an attention span to pay attention to a first hand that generates a huge pot.

HeroInBlack
06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1st hand I get K club K heart UTG and make my standard 300 raise. All fold to Button which is an unknown bad player. Without thought he reraises to 500.

I reraise to 1000 and he calls. POT 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Harrington advocates reraising to 3 times the raise. I like that better. After he goes to 500, you nail him for 1500. At that point, his action tells you a lot more about his hand.

kuro
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Preflop: Open for 300 is fine, but you've got to repop the guy for more (something like 1500) and you're calling him if he pushes anywhere in the hand unless there's an ace on the board.

Flop: There's no ace on the board. There's no way that I'm laying down KK. Idiots often thinks you're making a continuation bet with AK and will move in with pretty weak holdings. If he's got aces or out flopped you so be it. You can't fold getting 3:1 with KK as an overpair especially early against an unknown.

BoneCollector
06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Regardless of the limit, I always feel that the majority of players online are bad. I would've pushed harder preflop (like 1500). I think you should've called this one, I see too many bad players try this move with AK.

winky51
06-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Did I mention this was a live tournament not online.

And yes you are right I should have reraised more preflop. 1500 was what I was thinking. Also after thinking about the whole thing I completely forgot about AKs or AQs. The taste of losing the last tournament 1st hand was still in my mouth. His play after me was pathetic. Typical calling station never knowing when he was beat.

Ahh oh well, I thought about it a lot at the table. "whats the chance he has AA or JJ" and "I don't want to be the 1st one out again on a bad beat". Bah!

But another question I posed myself is this. How can you get away from KK like that. I mean only 12 of 1326 hands have you here. Maybe I just thought a level too deep for this simpleton.

Probably had QQ forgetting I reraised him and thought "hmm no ace, hes got AK and trying to bluff me, Im all in".

I gotta stop thinking these players think deep into a hand. They are simple and think only on one level forgetting what you did the action before. Well at least early in the tournament. Only at the final table do I see some semblance of deep thought. Think I out thought myself out of the hand.

baronzeus
06-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I would have put in 2500 preflop. I want him to fold here because if he spikes something it's hard for me to lay this down.

winky51
06-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Yep I thought that too afterwards.

Now on these type of tournaments should I play KK as AA and disreguard the possiblilty he has AA?

We get so few chips that if you lose a big heads up in the early rounds your crippled as I was.