View Full Version : so they interviewed me about online poker (link)

lane mcbride
06-28-2005, 04:04 AM
the deseret news (a paper in my hometown of salt lake) did an article on online gambling... they interviewed me, took silly pictures and the like. peruse at your leisure. comments would be appreciated

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600144677,00.html

-Lane McBride

TBag
06-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Look at that table overlap. Paying your way through college via poker and can't even afford a decent monitor =P

Interesting article though, I like all the work they did to conduct polls, but I bet all the polls weighted mostly with the opinions middle aged men and women who are still scared of the internet. All the people who gamble online are too busy gambling to participate in their surveys.

PS - Your style is totally rocks and rings.

Drunk Bob
06-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Your link didn't work. Edited by the Mormans maybe?

lane mcbride
06-28-2005, 04:39 AM
copy and paste the link... I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

SoftcoreRevolt
06-28-2005, 04:40 AM
The picture makes you look like the type of person I'd want to punch in the face. Like the Fred Durst of poker.

I continually judge books by their cover.

Reef
06-28-2005, 05:01 AM
link (http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600144677,00.html)

those glasses need to go.

young nut
06-28-2005, 05:14 AM
McBride, I actually liked the article and I give props to the journalist for seemingly doing the research needed to write a decent article. You definitely need to get yourself a couple 2001fps though man, they are irreplacable.

I'm wondering if the polls might be a little skewed because of the demographic of Utah. It would be very interesting to see these polls done nationwide.

Most of your comments were very good and thanks for not namedropping 2+2 /images/graemlins/grin.gif I did find one comment particularly hilarious though:

He played for fun at first to hone his skills — and because he wasn't 21.
"When I turned of age, I deposited real money in there to give it a shot," he said. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif right!

I dabble a little bit in 7 stud on stars in my free time, so I was curious what limits you play and your stars name.

SinCityGuy
06-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Here are a couple of gems from the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Others can't hold them accountable for stupid plays. No one can ridicule them for mistakes at a cyber table.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess the author needs to spend a few minutes observing the chat window at a Party table.

[ QUOTE ]
That's what initially happened to Shaun and Pamela Rich. They had previously enjoyed occasional trips to Las Vegas, where they discovered roulette. The twentysomething Utah County couple decided to spin the wheel online.
"It was wonderful at first," stay-at-home mom Pamela Rich said, noting they parlayed $200 into $1,000 in two days. They considered it a part-time job and set a $30-a-day limit. But it didn't last.

[/ QUOTE ]
They expected something for nothing. If they put in the time and effort to study roulette, they could easily overcome the 5.3% house edge.

lane mcbride
06-28-2005, 05:21 AM
I play anywhere from .50-1.00 to 2-4 on stars. my name on there is "papernutsack"

oh... and about the glasses... I didn't want to wear them, it was the photographer's idea.

Brainwalter
06-28-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh... and about the glasses... I didn't want to wear them, it was the photographer's idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

"The key word here is tasteful."

aK13
06-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Overlap = t3h sux. 3 2001FPs 12 tabling is the way to showoff. Maybe the reporter would pay for those to make the picture look more "tasteful" too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KeysrSoze
06-28-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

They expected something for nothing. If they put in the time and effort to study roulette, they could easily overcome the 5.3% house edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

How? By not playing?

jon593
06-28-2005, 07:50 AM
that article sucked compared to 1 published in the local newspaper here a few months ago the reporter here really did his homework would post it but it cost money to view the archives for the website

TheBeat
06-28-2005, 08:21 AM
What a fruitcake this Flamer is. Get a real haircut Queer.

this is not acceptable. i am barred

Your Mom
06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How? By not playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bonus Whoring

theghost
06-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Are you worried about your name being all over that story, considering...
[ QUOTE ]
Assistant Utah Attorney General Thom Roberts said the state's position is that a bet placed in Utah constitutes illegal gambling regardless of where the Internet site is located.

[/ QUOTE ]?

(edit for spelling)

arardor
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Sorry but there is no way I put my name on a said illegal activity. The Tax Man cometh.

icepick
06-28-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How? By not playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only bet on the odd black numbers and even red numbers. You can't lose with this system!

DocMartin
06-28-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! POTD

klagett
06-28-2005, 01:44 PM
I love how in an artical interviewing a guy about online poker they talk about online roulette.

krimson
06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how in an artical interviewing a guy about online poker they talk about online roulette.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the article is about online gambling in general. McBridge is just one character in the story...

p.s. I would not wear sun glasses and put poker chips by computer monitor because a journalist told me to. You should have taken off your pants and spilled some pepsi on your shirt to show him how a real internet poker player plays!

Punker
06-28-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you worried about your name being all over that story

[/ QUOTE ]

Transference
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Edited by Mat Sklansky (06/28/05 11:45 AM)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Mat is getting creative!
Quick, somone post the theory of pwnage!

jrbick
06-29-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a fruitcake this Flamer is. Get a real haircut Queer.

[/ QUOTE ]

best ever

Zinzan
06-29-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
p.s. I would not wear sun glasses and put poker chips by computer monitor because a journalist told me to. You should have taken off your pants and spilled some pepsi on your shirt to show him how a real internet poker player plays!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too right!

-Z