PDA

View Full Version : Public perception of fat people

coopersmydog
06-28-2005, 12:12 AM
What's yours? I'm fat, about 6 feet tall and weigh about 330. I always want to know what people think of fat people, so I thought I would ask.

Also, any ideas on how to lose some weight? I don't eat much, less than 2500 calories per day, but I keep gaining weight. I don't do much other than work and play cards. I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

Anyway, what do you think of fat people?

thatpfunk
06-28-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
6 feet tall and weigh about 330.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif What about your health? It may suck to exercise, etc, but dying sucks worse probably.

siccjay
06-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Most fat people have no excuse, just go exercise.

I think it's disgusting how many overweight people there are.

[censored]
06-28-2005, 12:19 AM
In my youth I was judgemental. Now I don't think much at all besides not ever wanting to be overweight myself.

KaneKungFu123
06-28-2005, 12:20 AM
you could have a medical problem that makes you fat.

didnt you notice that you kept getting bigger and bigger?
start eating healthy and start off by walking. Aim to lose 2-3 pounds/week.

www.bodybuilding.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com)

i dont really think anything bad about fat people. i pity them more then anything.

[ QUOTE ]
What's yours? I'm fat, about 6 feet tall and weigh about 330. I always want to know what people think of fat people, so I thought I would ask.

Also, any ideas on how to lose some weight? I don't eat much, less than 2500 calories per day, but I keep gaining weight. I don't do much other than work and play cards. I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

coopersmydog
06-28-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
6 feet tall and weigh about 330.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif What about your health? It may suck to exercise, etc, but dying sucks worse probably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, dying would suck. I need to get off my fat ass do something. Guess I should start with walking or something easy like that.

ClaytonN
06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Without motivation, you will never stop being fat
2) You don't need to go to a gym. Do pushups and situps at the house. Take walks. Do stuff. Eat healthier.

I perceive fat people as people who either A) are too unmotivated at life and keeping their health okay in general, thus irresponsible, or B) people who say to hell with the stigma of skinny people and enjoy life for what it is, fat or not.

Blarg
06-28-2005, 12:25 AM
As thatpunk points out, there's always dying as an alternative to exercise.

Personally, I think what probably means more to people is physical impairment. Dying is too hard to grasp and believe, or for some people to care about. But nobody wants to be a vegetable with a stroke, or get diabetes and lose a leg, or something.

Especially once you get a few years on you, exercise is a must not to make yourself a superman, but just to keep from turning to crap. It's harder to keep muscle on, which helps make you fatter all by itself, and your body doesn't digest and eliminate food as quickly, so you keep more of the fat you take in. Basically, it starts to get easier and easier to look like hell and harder and harder not to.

So it's pretty normal to eventually start putting on weight even if you don't eat too much.

You pretty much know what you have to do. Don't get pouty about it, or expect immediate results. Just take better care of yourself and the results pile up eventually. Don't throw a tantrum or be a quitter/p_ussy if you don't get results overnight. Just do a little here and there, even if it's only stretching -- just enough to make it a life habit, and eventually you'll get good results.

The nice thing is, it spills over into your head, too. You almost always feel sharper and happier when you're in better shape.

Blarg
06-28-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't see the two as contradictory or mutually exclusive.

ClaytonN
06-28-2005, 12:41 AM
The difference is that one group gives up on the thought of becoming thin while the other group never wanted to be thin in the first place.

IronDragon1
06-28-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know I need to exercise but have no motivation and see no results. Not to mention I feel out of place at the gym if I do go. I spend the whole time worrying about what people think and all I want to do is leave. I'm such a puss.

[/ QUOTE ]

-You won't see results after just one (even many more than that) exercise sessions. Think about it this way-it didn't take 1 day of being sedintary to get you to where you are; what makes you think it's going to take just a few weeks of (light) exercise to get it back? Fortunately, previously untrained individuals do make greater gains in a shorter amount of time than trained people do but this doesn't come overnight
-I understand you feeling self-concsious in the gym because unfortunately, most people (especially those who exercise regularly and engage in-what they believe at least- proper nutrition) tend to view people in the physical shape you are in as lazy, lacking the desire to do right by themselves and ultimately -depending on one's demeanor and capacity for sympathy-as people who deserve to be pitied or scorned. Unfortunately, unless I know any special circumstances for that person's state, I think the same.
-If you ever find the motiviation to workout then I recommend beginning exercising at home. The benefit of this is that the type of programs which work best for previously sedintary individuals (e.g those that do not overstrain) are usually best done in the comfort of one's home
-EAT MORE LEAN PROTEIN
-DRINK MORE WATER
-In the end it comes down to one thing:
Get up and get active (whenever you can) and put down the fork
-I seriously would like to offer more constructive/kind advice but it seems that-aside from just satisfying your curiousity to how people feel about fat people (though, you probably had a general idea by now)-this is simply a "I'm
too lazy to do [x]. I don't forsee myself ever doing [x] though I know how much I need to do [x] Oh woe is me". Honestly, what do these posts accomplish other than reminding people how much it sucks to be lazy/fat?

I'm sorry if I was harsh but you need to hear this.
If I'm lucky I've provided you with some motivation just so you can become ripped and shove it in my face. For the sake of your psyche and your long-term heatlh I hope so.

fluxrad
06-28-2005, 12:47 AM
You eat 2500 calories per day, don't get any exercise to speak of, and you wonder why you're fat?

Your problem isn't that you're fat. Your problem is that you're retarded.

Stuck
06-28-2005, 12:48 AM
I have a strong dislike of fat people.

I perceive them as lazy.

I hate sitting next to them on a plane or train and having them squish up against me. I hate that air travel is more expensive than it has to be because we need to lift their fat ass off the ground. Air travel should be priced 'per pound'.

I don't like the sight of them sweating and wheezing.

I hate them in the service industry. They move more slowly than normal people.

I hate the billowing clothes they wear. Only thing worse than that is when they are wearing too tight clothes cos they've pile on five extra pounds since lunch time.

I hate the huge portions we're served because of the stupid amount that fat people need to eat to maintain their gargantuan frames.

I hate having to hear their stupid whining and excuses. 'Its my genes', 'Its my metabolism', 'I have a condition'. No, its the five pies you ate this morning.

Other than that, they're ok I guess.

Stuey
06-28-2005, 12:48 AM
I am to wrapped up in my own self-image that I don't even notice if a person is fat. I notice if they are smart or dumb, clean or dirty, polite or rude but that is about it.

I think 2500 cal is a lot. Try for 1800 cal, if you change the type of foods you eat you can be satisfied with this amount believe it or not.

You don't have to go to a gym. If you do go don't think the people there are judging you. Almost everyone was in bad shape before they got into good shape. It is not easy for anyone. Try pushups (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2611635&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1), sounds stupid but even if you can only do 2 or 3 I promise after a week of trying you will be able to do more. And if you try week, after week it adds up fast.

One last idea that I am not sure is true but it makes sense to me.

Where addiction lies (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=scimathphil&Number=2728901 &Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&M ain=2728901&Search=true&where=&Name=20822&daterang e=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post2728901)

You will get the best results by changing diet, exercise just makes you feel good. Do both and each is easier however.

Blarg
06-28-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The difference is that one group gives up on the thought of becoming thin while the other group never wanted to be thin in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think sour grapes and self-deception can be involved too. Just because someone gives up on good health or decides not to work for it doesn't mean they still wouldn't rather be skinny. Just like a lot of twerpy guys pooh-pooh weight lifting, but really wouldn't mind being better built and maybe even feel ashamed about it.

I never take what people say at face value, because we're all more complex than can be summed up in a few position statements or assertions, and so much of what we might typically say to ourselves and others is for effect; and so much else is stuff we haven't really hashed out honestly enough to have a foundation to be telling anybody anything about. One thing for sure is we almost all have a fairly smooth operating line and cover story, or will hard to find one. But I don't put much stock in those. I'll believe the majority of fat people really don't feel bad on some very real levels about their health and apearance when I believe human nature has basically completely flip-flopped, which seems unlikely.

Stuey
06-28-2005, 01:13 AM
To the people saying fat people are dumb or lazy.

If you believe this then you must believe smokers are all dumb also. What about drinkers? I'm sure anyone who plays poker must be a total retard.

What about people who only pick on others they feel are in a weak position simply to make themselves feel superior for once in their life?

If I am wrong, and I could be, and you are perfect and life is really easy for you how can you be sure it always will be?

Lawrence Ng
06-28-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they would make great soap bars.

Lawrence

Alobar
06-28-2005, 01:17 AM
since the majority of people in america are overweight, I really dont think anything when I see a fat person except "oh hey look, its another person"

Blarg
06-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Sometimes people really enjoy the sort of oral fixation of eating, just like smokers do. It's about more than the eating or smoking; it's something to do with their mouths. It takes their minds off things, helps them focus, whatever.

You can actually do a hell of a lot of eating if you stay away from fatty things and don't eat too many starches and heavily processed foods. Calories put on the healthier way, if you're going to put on any at all, give you something in return for the calories instead of being totally nutrient-empty.

You might try working more and more vegetables into your daily food intake, and some fruits, too. They're full of anti-oxidants and vitamins, and the calories they give you compared to anything else you are going to eat is very little. The fiber helps your digestion, too, which can help control cholesterol. Eating vegetables, too, in generall releases sugars into your bloodstream more slowly than processed foods and of course candy and such, so it helps you not build up insulin resistance, again helping retard the progression to diabetes. At your weight, that's a very real concern, too.

It's hard to get used to doing that for some people, but just because apples and carrots and oranges and plums aren't ice cream doesn't mean they completely suck. There are rewards to it, too. Just a little ice cream can give you a lot more sugar and fat quickly slammed into your system than munching on lots of filling veggies and fruits.

Try it out. You don't have to be a tree hugger and start gnawing the bark off tress or anything. Just slowly adding in more more good stuff and taking out more bad stuff makes a very big difference in terms of overall calories and, importantly, the value of the calories you actually take in. And it's pretty cool that you can eat veggies like a total pig and still lose weight easily because they're almost all water, very low calorie, and almost all of them are low glycemic load and glycemic index(they don't put too much sugar in your bloodstream and don't do it too quickly, either, which is much, much better for you than, say, a piece of pie would be).

bronzepiglet
06-28-2005, 01:30 AM
I guess I do see fat people as "choosing their own destiny" or whatever, though that may be just because I'm not predisposed to overweightness.

I don't know what works for most people, but I find that when I pick up lifting weights after a time of not doing it I lose like 15-20 pounds in a short time, despite putting on muscle weight. After that I'm leaner because of that extra muscle burning calories for me all day.

I'd suggest getting a bench for your home, dude. It couldn't hurt.

fluxrad
06-28-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you believe this then you must believe smokers are all dumb also. What about drinkers? I'm sure anyone who plays poker must be a total retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

From the above post, we can conclue the following:

1. You have never been a smoker.
2. You are not an alocoholic nor have you lived with one.

IronDragon1
06-28-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

What about people who only pick on others they feel are in a weak position simply to make themselves feel superior for once in their life?

If I am wrong, and I could be, and you are perfect and life is really easy for you how can you be sure it always will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it comes down to the fact that the OP
1) realizes that he has a problem and what has a caused (he's not stupid because he understands this simple cause and effect relationship)
2) apparently values health if not by deeds at least in his post content-he wouldn't be posting such a lament about his poor health/laziness to do something about it (e.g saying "I'm such a puss")
3) realizes what he needs to do to get it under control but just won't do it. Thus, he's lazy.

My feeling about fat people in general-not to disimilar from what I feel about the OP-obviously comes from a combination of past experience/social conditioning/personal perference on what's important in life but, as with many stereotypes, they tend to be more true than not.

Victor
06-28-2005, 01:41 AM
i started exercising 2 weeks ago. i lost 15 lbs and feel much better about everthing everyday.

the weight is good but the feeling good is the main appeal.

mike l.
06-28-2005, 01:41 AM
im not as fat as you but they hate us, especially the skinny little prisses on this forum.

Stuey
06-28-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From the above post, we can conclue the following:

1. You have never been a smoker.
2. You are not an alocoholic nor have you lived with one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quit smoking 3 years ago. I quit drinking over 2 years ago. I could start again if I am not careful. Good chance I am dumb though so I am a bad example. Was this a trap?

[censored]
06-28-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
since the majority of people in america are overweight, I really dont think anything when I see a fat person except "oh hey look, its another person"

[/ QUOTE ]

We should put together a home game in normalsville.

fluxrad
06-28-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I quit smoking 3 years ago. I quit drinking over 2 years ago. I could start again if I am not careful. Good chance I am dumb though so I am a bad example. Was this a trap?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not a trap. I find it extremely surprising that you are both a recovering alcoholic and an ex-smoker and yet you find excessive eating to be even in the same ballpark.

Blarg
06-28-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
im not as fat as you but they hate us, especially the skinny little prisses on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, being fat is macho now?

Stuey
06-28-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. It's not a trap. I find it extremely surprising that you are both a recovering alcoholic and an ex-smoker and yet you find excessive eating to be even in the same ballpark.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are all in the same ballpark, but no one in the park is dumb. They are just doing dumb things. Only once I stopped doing the dumb things did I truly realize how dumb they were (for me). I also saw the ugly reasons I was doing these things.

Scary part is I am sure I am still doing dumb things I don't even know about. I think everyone is even skinny people.

I just think it is wrong to say fat people are dumb and lazy unless you were/are fat. Even then you could be wrong.

fluorescenthippo
06-28-2005, 02:46 AM
I hate fat people. it is completey their fault. there was rarely a fat person 200 years ago.

fluorescenthippo
06-28-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If you believe this then you must believe smokers are all dumb also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokers are dumber than the average person, everyone knows that. no joke

Sponger15SB
06-28-2005, 02:59 AM
Less attractive people are less successful and happy (http://www.eddyelmer.com/diary/diarystart.html?http://www.eddyelmer.com/diary/2003_Oct_31_diary.htm)

Talk2BigSteve
06-28-2005, 03:24 AM
I like my ham fists, not being able to wipe my own ass, being removed from my house by crane, 3 tickets on Southwest Airlines, and my Little Rascal Scooter with the back up alarm.

I love Fat People! Pour the Gravy in an IV bag and HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!

Big "Fat Ass" Steve

coopersmydog
06-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Lots of good stuff in this thread. I don't know if it will motivate me or not, but I'm going to try to do something about being fat. I'm going to try to eat around 1500 calories per day and walk at least 1 mile a day. I'll increase the exercise as I go and hopefully lose a few pounds every week. Maybe I'll post an update in a month or so and see if I stick to this.

private joker
06-28-2005, 09:34 PM
Fatties are one of the few -- possibly the only -- class of people I find myself forming stereotypes about unfairly. I guess I'd also include Republicans and fundamentalist Christians as well.

The reason I think I consciously or subconsciously about the drawbacks of fatties (and Republicans and bible-thumpers) is because they can do something about their condition -- I balk at racists and anti-semites and bigots like that because the minorities those bigots discriminate against can't do anything about their identifying trait, nor should they want to (plus their opinions about those groups are generally ignorant and closed-minded).

So anyway, I still know in the back of my mind I'm being unfair and I'd like to change. Nevertheless, my initial instinct is to judge lardasses as being lazy, gluttonous pigs who should learn to put down the goddam Doritos once in a while.

I go to the movies, try to have a good time, but some sweaty fatass is sitting next to me, his lard spilling over into my chair through the armrest, and during the film he is still shoveling greasy popcorn into his drooling gob and munching loudly, the empty carbs futilely attempting to fill the empty hole where his self-confidence should be.

The thing is, when I have friends or relatives who are fat I don't judge them negatively because they're friends, and that's the way I should look at all tubbies. I'm not attracted to fat women, but that's not really the issue. I should see being obese as just one trait of hundreds that make up a person, thus not a defining characteristic. When I self-actualize, maybe I'll be that open-minded. Until then, stay away from my airplane row, you fat pig. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

CourtesyFlush
06-28-2005, 09:44 PM
When I see a very large person I usually think something along the lines of "don't you care about your health?".

If you feel uncomfortable going to the gym, you could buy a treadmill and just walk for an hour a day while watching tv. Also you'll probably want to give your diet a complete overhaul. You're not consuming an obscene amount of calories but you could definitely eat less. Smaller portions, better foods.

Skipbidder
06-28-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokers ARE stupid.
Drinkers ARE stupid.
People who are obese because of the amount that they eat vs. the amount that they exercise (as distinct from several rare medical problems) ARE stupid.

They are all significantly likely to decrease both the length and quality of your life.

I say this as someone who drinks too much and is obese because of the amount that I eat vs. the exercise that I get.

In response to OP's query, I personally am physically attracted to people who are overweight. This was true even before I was overweight myself. I suspect that this might have something to do with why I've been fairly complacent about my own weight.

The Goober
06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fatties are one of the few -- possibly the only -- class of people I find myself forming stereotypes about unfairly. I guess I'd also include Republicans and fundamentalist Christians as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So anyway, I still know in the back of my mind I'm being unfair and I'd like to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how I feel, although this is pretty low on my list of self-improvement tasks.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think:
That person probably doesn't know much about nutrition.
That person probably has low self-esteem.
That person is probably in some sort of constant pain (knees or back, usually).

[ QUOTE ]

Also, any ideas on how to lose some weight? I don't eat much, less than 2500 calories per day, but I keep gaining weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah,
Cut back to 2000 calories and incorporate some exercise.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of good stuff in this thread. I don't know if it will motivate me or not, but I'm going to try to do something about being fat. I'm going to try to eat around 1500 calories per day and walk at least 1 mile a day. I'll increase the exercise as I go and hopefully lose a few pounds every week. Maybe I'll post an update in a month or so and see if I stick to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too ambitious! You'll be doomed to fail.
You should start with cutting 500 calories. Then cut more if you need to.
Seriously, unless you have A TON of support, you can't make such a drastic change in your eatinng overnight like this. You simply won't be successful because you will be WAY too hungry.
Be realistic. Maybe join weightwatchers or something.

Blarg
06-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Don't think about the weight too much, because that can mislead you and confuse you. If you pick up good, useful muscle weight, it's not a bad thing, but on the scale it can look like failure. But it's not, so don't watch the scale.

Go by goals you have -- to be able to do a few more knee bends, stretch a little farther or more easily by the end of the week, do some more push-ups or curls or dumbell presses, whatever. Small, low pressure goals that you can just keep at like a rat gnawing it's way through a door. Multiple ones, so that you can succeed at one even if two more don't come through.

Your real goal is to establish a feedback loop, where sometimes you feel better, sometimes you look better, sometimes you weigh less, sometimes you feel stronger, all feeding back positive reinforcement and refreshing your desire to keep going. The main thing is not to mentally lock into any particular measurement that you can use falling short in as an excuse to feel like a failure and give up or slack off. You're already a success if you're changing your lifestyle and making your health better, and if you're progressing even in fits and starts. The main thing is that you keep the momentum going. The rewards will come at the speed they come, sometimes out of sync. If you want to influence them a little more, work a little harder or more frequently.

And don't get into calorie deprivation too big. Your body has a "fat set point" that is very easily triggered. When you cut back calories or even go for long stretches between meals, your body starts pushing extra fat into your fat cells because it is preparing for starvation conditions. It's a pretty simple mechanism, and it works -- to keep you fat. Taper down on food intake slowly, and much more importantly than worrying about calories, make sure that your calories actually give you good nourishment -- nobody gets past the door(of your mouth) without paying a price. Lean meats, almost as much vegetables as you could possibly eat because they're so low in calories, plenty of fruit is fine though juice should be cut back on, moderate amounts of nuts, and cut way back on processed foods, and don't eat all that many carbos anymore, like fries, waffles, bread etc. Think of carbs more as a side-dish than a main course.

Eat healthy before worrying about dieting, and once you've got that under control, come to a moderate number of calories spread out throughout the day, with your heaviest meal in the morning, and little to no food after dinner. Remember that you can eat more without feeling deprived or hungry if you stay away from foods that cause their own craving, like sugar and starches. Exercise moderately but consistently, and you won't feel like quitting. If you can keep from quitting, progress can't be denied you. You could just do a few minutes of exercise a day, or you could find something to do that's fun, so exercising doesn't feel too boring. Hiking, rollerblading, biking, whatever -- they all get you some fresh air and exercise and a chance for socialization, and can be good for the soul as well as the body.

Just do those two things -- eat moderately and healthily, and exercise moderately but consistently -- and your health could be dramatically changed for the better within a matter of a few months. Don't shoot for heroic immediate goals; just aim to start and then keep going. As Woody Allen said, 90% of success is just showing up. There is absolutely no doubt you can do it.

coopersmydog
06-28-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't think about the weight too much, because that can mislead you and confuse you. If you pick up good, useful muscle weight, it's not a bad thing, but on the scale it can look like failure. But it's not, so don't watch the scale.

Go by goals you have -- to be able to do a few more knee bends, stretch a little farther or more easily by the end of the week, do some more push-ups or curls or dumbell presses, whatever. Small, low pressure goals that you can just keep at like a rat gnawing it's way through a door. Multiple ones, so that you can succeed at one even if two more don't come through.

Your real goal is to establish a feedback loop, where sometimes you feel better, sometimes you look better, sometimes you weigh less, sometimes you feel stronger, all feeding back positive reinforcement and refreshing your desire to keep going. The main thing is not to mentally lock into any particular measurement that you can use falling short in as an excuse to feel like a failure and give up or slack off. You're already a success if you're changing your lifestyle and making your health better, and if you're progressing even in fits and starts. The main thing is that you keep the momentum going. The rewards will come at the speed they come, sometimes out of sync. If you want to influence them a little more, work a little harder or more frequently.

And don't get into calorie deprivation too big. Your body has a "fat set point" that is very easily triggered. When you cut back calories or even go for long stretches between meals, your body starts pushing extra fat into your fat cells because it is preparing for starvation conditions. It's a pretty simple mechanism, and it works -- to keep you fat. Taper down on food intake slowly, and much more importantly than worrying about calories, make sure that your calories actually give you good nourishment -- nobody gets past the door(of your mouth) without paying a price. Lean meats, almost as much vegetables as you could possibly eat because they're so low in calories, plenty of fruit is fine though juice should be cut back on, moderate amounts of nuts, and cut way back on processed foods, and don't eat all that many carbos anymore, like fries, waffles, bread etc. Think of carbs more as a side-dish than a main course.

Eat healthy before worrying about dieting, and once you've got that under control, come to a moderate number of calories spread out throughout the day, with your heaviest meal in the morning, and little to no food after dinner. Remember that you can eat more without feeling deprived or hungry if you stay away from foods that cause their own craving, like sugar and starches. Exercise moderately but consistently, and you won't feel like quitting. If you can keep from quitting, progress can't be denied you. You could just do a few minutes of exercise a day, or you could find something to do that's fun, so exercising doesn't feel too boring. Hiking, rollerblading, biking, whatever -- they all get you some fresh air and exercise and a chance for socialization, and can be good for the soul as well as the body.

Just do those two things -- eat moderately and healthily, and exercise moderately but consistently -- and your health could be dramatically changed for the better within a matter of a few months. Don't shoot for heroic immediate goals; just aim to start and then keep going. As Woody Allen said, 90% of success is just showing up. There is absolutely no doubt you can do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I always tend to go over the top when I start something. I'll try to ease into cutting out calories and I'm going to eat more healthy foods. Mostly lean meats and veggies with some fruit and yogurt mixed in.

Again, thanks for the advice.

FrankTheTank
06-29-2005, 03:03 AM
medifast (http://medifast1.com/)

this is pretty much the perfect diet for someone who doesn't do much "other than work and play cards." basically all you consume is 5 shakes a day (or 5 shakes and 1 salad-y meal if you prefer), which sounds terrible but after the first 3 or so days you get used to it and your energy levels actually increase since you're not eating so much junk. it's an extremely low calorie diet (450 a day) and doesn't require any excercise.

i've been on the diet for just under a month and have dropped 26 pounds. now obviously this is pretty extreme and not as healthy as just eating right and excersing, but for someone who has a lot of weight to lose it can be a nice jumpstart. speaking from experience, it can be a bitch to work your ass off excersing and still only lose like 8 lbs a month. the rapid weight loss from this diet and all the added side effects like clothes fitting better etc are all the motivation you need to tough it out for a month or two and then segue into a normal, healthy lifestlye. medifast definitly isn't for everyone but it sounds perfect for you.

Blarg
06-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Interesting stuff, but you gotta be losing muscle weight too, which itself can indirectly lead to more fat build-up long term.

But if it works to get you taking care of yourself again, maybe it's a good trade-off.

stretch22
06-29-2005, 07:16 AM
If you exercise you will see results. This can't be debated. It's just science.

I think you should think about seeing a nutritionist and getting them to help you out and measure your BMR (I think that's what it's called). Which is the amount of calories you burn just by your body working to breathe, pump blood, digest food etc. This number is I believe primarily based on your lean body mass, which will increase if you exercise. Adding the number of calories you burn through exercise (doesn't sound like much) can tell you how much you should be eating to maintain your weight. 3500 calories = one pound and most people say on a healthy diet you lose about two pounds a week which is 7000 calories a week and 1000 calories a day. It's all just math, just like poker.

daily caloric intake - (daily BMR) = how much you will lose without exercise

Aim for daily caloric intake - BMR - calories lost to exercise = -1000 and you'll be in great shape in no time

My tips: eat more fiber, have vegetables be "free" if you start calculating calories, drink water, switch to diet soda if you haven't already, use artificial sweetener, eat sugar free jello, read labels, eat out less, don't listen to all these assholes, being a self-righteous prick is a lot worse than being overweight.

MikeL05
06-29-2005, 07:47 AM
Have you seen a doctor recently? I cannot imagine how a 330 pound man can consume 2500 calories a day and still be gaining weight. Either your calorie counting is way off, or you possibly have some kind of condition that is slowing down your metabolism and making your body an ultra-efficient user of calories. You also might want to start off at 2000 calories a day rather than 1500.... 1500 is VERY low and very difficult, and I'd hate to see you get discouraged. 2000 is a better compromise between where you are (2500) and where you want to be (1500).

As far as the gym goes, you don't need to be there. Nor would I suggest push-ups and situps, for that matter. Nothing beats good old fashioned running as far as burning calories goes. Though if you like to rollerblade, bike ride, or swim, these are all good substitutes.

Best of luck. And keep the board updated on your progress here, it will definitely help you stick to your plan.

jakethebake
06-29-2005, 08:25 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....bacon.

Blarg
06-29-2005, 08:59 AM
A 330 pound guy shouldn't be running. There will be a lot of strain on his knees and ankles, and he could get shin splints. Plus it would probably be very hard on him.

Walking would be better, adding more difficult slopes as he becomes able, or more distance. Swimming is also great and puts very little strain on the body compared to so many other exercises, including pretty much eliminating impact. An exercise bike or treadmill could also be okay(treadmills bore me, personally).

But the main thing is that he just finds something he can ease into slowly and likes enough to continue doing. Over time, he can broaden out to doing more things, and more difficult things.

If it were me, I would work toward something that could be a little fun and get some skill and challenge involved. Even going and practicing basketball shots or hitting a tennis ball against a wall, or kicking a soccer ball against one, has some challenge to it and can be fun, and you can eventually move things like that into a sport you enjoy.

As long as you find a way to start it up and keep it going. Heck, even taking a friend's dog for walks and throwing a frisbee to him is relaxing and gets gets you out of the house and gets you a little exercise.

MaxPower
06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I have lost 40 pounds since November. Since I've lost that weight I hate to admit that I am less tolerant of fat people than I was before. This is because losing the 40 pounds wasn't all that difficult once I put my mind to it. It does seem like most people have a choice about how much they are going to weigh (although I'm sure there are some who don't for whatever reason). It remains to be seen whether I can maintain this weight loss.

It is very easy to delude yourself about your diet. My guess is that you are taking in many more calories than you think. I know that was true for me.

I reccommend Weight Watchers. I doesn't sound very manly to be on Weight Watchers, but it really works. You don't need to go to any meetings, you can just follow the plan online - that's what I did. You don't have to deprive yourself of anything and you won't be hungry.

Ray Zee
06-29-2005, 03:43 PM
forget aboput perceptions. in a few years you will start breaking down your joints and ankles and knees. look for surgury later on in life and losing the ability to walk much. with pain. but the food you ate tasted sooooo gooood didnt it. then the heart attck which is a certainty at some point with cancer not so far behind. sorry to lose you before we will really get to know you.

OR

lay off animal products and anything made with hydrogenated oils for a start. walk as much as you can and just eat less and nothing between meals. no corn syrup in anything. soon results will come fast and you will be happy. good luck.

raisethatmofo
06-29-2005, 03:58 PM

bisonbison
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
My dad was fat for the duration of my life.

Lose the weight. You'll be surprised how much happier you'll be.

MoreWineII
06-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Depends on the fat person. I usually don't judge until I see them eating a double bacon cheeseburger while taking the elevator up one floor.

If you're fat and you like it, that's fine. But don't bitch about being a fat-ass while half a pizza is hanging out the side of your mouth. That just makes me want to punch you.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Many will look down on you as they would if you would smoke too much, get to drunk on parties or play too much poker etc.... It is because many spends a lot of their energy trying to control themselves and their activities and thus view you as bad since you fail at this.

Should you get slimmer due to this? No, not letting others decide how you should live is more important than being popular.

Should you get slimmer anyway?
Yes, definately. It destroys your health which may destroy your ability to do what you want in life.