PDA

View Full Version : Threads rising to top and new software post mortem

Clarkmeister
01-30-2003, 03:52 PM
Now that everyone has had time to get used to the new software, as well as to threads rising to the top, what is the overall thought about each of these things.

Personally, I think the active threads rising to the top is the single biggest improvement made to the forum.

And once you get used to it (and it took me a little while) the new software beats the crap out of the old clickfest. Being able to directly harass fellow posters via private messages is pretty sweet too.

Homer
01-30-2003, 03:56 PM
I like the new software much better. I felt that way the day it came out since the old software was pretty crappy.

-- Homer

ohkanada
01-30-2003, 04:19 PM
I agree that both the new forums and the moving the threads to the top are good. I find for myself who does more viewing than responding ( except in the tourney forum), it is quite easy to review all of the new messages on the forums I view ( which are most).

I also like the change to make everyone register to post. Sometimes you read something from someone and want to go back to previous posts which is now easy to do.

Ken Poklitar

Phat Mack
01-30-2003, 04:58 PM
<pre><font class="small">code:</font><hr> Personally, I think the active threads rising to the top is the single biggest improvement made to the forum.
</pre><hr>

I hate this feature. It prevents the political threads in the Other Topics forum from from sinking into oblivion.

TimTimSalabim
01-30-2003, 08:35 PM
You're right, it's making it hard to find important pancake recipes.

Six_of_One
01-31-2003, 03:23 PM
I complained at first, but have since decided that I like the posts rising to the top.

The one complaint that I still have is that the software doesn't make it easy to quote a post or a portion of a post in your reply.

Zeno
02-03-2003, 01:05 AM
"I hate this feature. It prevents the political threads in the Other Topics forum from from sinking into oblivion."

Were they deserve to be for the most part. For the Other Topics forum, I agree, that the rising of the chatter is hard to take. The political posts go on and on and on....... It has destoryed some of the "fun" that the forum once was.

That said, overall; I like the new software. And remember that you can view in collaspe mode for an overall view, pick a posts and then click flat mode - bingo, everything is shown. You can set up features to your liking also. The software is here to stay so best adapt. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Grin and bare it.

-Zeno

beernutz
02-04-2003, 02:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The one complaint that I still have is that the software doesn't make it easy to quote a post or a portion of a post in your reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Takes 2 seconds.

I like the new forum and everything about it to a factor of at least 10 over the old forum.

Seven
02-05-2003, 02:37 PM
All of my threads get buried and then noone looks at them. See if you can find my recent posts on General, General Theory, and mid-stakes.

Thanks a lot guys, I've had my first 'just' break-even month in over a year and a half and I was hoping people could help answer my questions.

It's a lot like buying a piece of consumer electronics or some other piece of hardware, being given a manual with it (2+2 books) and being promised support which, when needed, was not forthcoming. But everyone else and their dog can get help with questions like: "Did I play my quads right?" or "was it right to cold-call 4 bets preflop with 76s?"

I'll take my own counsel from now on. No more 2+2 books. No more useless internet forums.

Ray Zee
02-05-2003, 06:35 PM
seven, you are not promised any support or owed anything just because you buy a book. but you should be happy that all the authors and so many players take time to explain things to people. so if your few posts havent gotten enough response look to what your questions were and what else you contribute to everyone else.

JTG51
02-06-2003, 01:28 AM
I was one of the early complainers. Once you and a couple of others suggested changing to compressed mode, I completely changed my mind. I think the new software and having active threads rise to the top are great changes. Much better than the old style.

brad
02-06-2003, 03:08 AM
of course you dont get any responses. we're poker players. rugged individuals.

'i am not a number, i'm a free man!'

so change your name and then just respond to your own post to bump it up.