PDA

View Full Version : new desktop problems

TStokes
06-27-2005, 08:23 PM
I just hooked up my new desktop and it started out fine and It brought up a few screens and then started to load windows. but instead of bringing up windows the screen went black and now it says self test feature check how do I fix this?

tinhat
06-27-2005, 09:04 PM
New computer out of the box, with windows pre-installed? Why do you say windows started to load - some unmistakable windows info appeared on screen? Does it happen every time you reboot? Does it ever finish loading windows? Can you boot from a floppy just to establish this is a windows problem? Any options with that feature check, like "cancel" or any other info on the screen like it cycling through checks (I don't use windows and am unfamiliar with a "feature check" that doesn't come from the BIOS)...

Mike

TStokes
06-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes it is a new computer and I believe it was pre-installed. I mean it brought up the windows screen that comes up when you restart your comp but it did not go into actual windows. It is just on a black screen that says its a check for the monitor. I cant reboot either if I press the power button on the comp nothing happens. The only way I can turn it off is to unplug it. I am using a 2001fp should I be using the dvi or vga cord?

tinhat
06-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Call the people you got it from and describe the problem. It would be best to have them walk you through the steps to get it working.

When windows starts up it uses a basic video mode for simple text display and at some point it tries to switch to a more full-featured mode for the fancy graphic display. It sounds like there may be (possibly) a communication issue here with the more advanced video mode it's trying to switch to in order to finish booting. So either it's hooked up wrong (your monitor or video card), your monitor is misconfigured or the driver is missing (or it's the wrong one). How this can happen with a pre-installed OS I'm not clear on, but that in itself (to me) indicates the hook-up is the real issue. But this isn't the kind of thing you want to get advice from through a forum and start fiddling with.

Re: rebooting, some BIOSes only restart if you hold the power button depressed for N secs, then release it (to avoid accidental reboots). Sounds like yours has this delay feature. Try holding the power button down for a few seconds (when you want to reboot!) and see.

Mike

TStokes
06-27-2005, 11:10 PM
alright thanks for the help ill try and call tomorrow and figure it out

MrTrik
06-28-2005, 10:02 AM
All the Del desktops require you to push and hold the power button for a few seconds. The system then turns off. Only need to depress the button once to turn it back on.