PDA

View Full Version : mtt on pokerstars

aucubbie
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
what is the best way to play this hand. I obviously played this hand wrong. Which would be a better way to play this?
middle in a tourney blinds 100/200 w 25 ante. I have 20k in chips utg with cleader at 22k in the bb. I have kt-s and raise to 400 utg (? play but i play agg. loose) everyone folds to the bb/chipleader and he calls. Flop 638 2hearts. I have a flush draw. cleader checks I bet a pot size bet 1k and he checkraises to 2k. I call and the turn is the 6 of hearts. I have the k high flush. cleader checks, I bet 2400 and get checkraised to 4800. I think about it and push all in for another 13k and he calls with full house 3over 6's (he had 33) I lose and knocked out the tourney. How can I play that hand better? assuming I still play the hand. Thanks

JC_Saves
06-27-2005, 07:11 PM
well, if you are going to play this kind of hand from UTG you better put in a 3-5BB raise. You need to represent a huge hand so that little PPs get out of the way and some Ax hands fold and even hands like KQ, KJ thus buying you some outs.

If everyone knows you are LAG player you have problems more often, because people will call more of your raises because they know you are playing marginal hands.

I personally would throw this hand away UTG. It is far to weak, and if you are going to play it, either limp, or put in a REAL raise. Your minraise does nothing but build a pot and begs people to call with the slightest of hands.

You also need to recognize when you are behind. When you get check raised on that flop you have to seriously question what he could have, ie. 66, 33, 88, 63s, 86s, 86s, AXs.

You look like you are way behind in this hand from the way he played it. I mean you get check-raised twice. What did you think? He was just kidding. The second check-raise tells you that he has the nuts and you are going to get bitch slapped come the showdown.

You need to realize when you are beat, period. You should have checked the turn after being checkraised on the flop. When the board paired you should have been weary of the FH. You might have been able to get away from this hand if you checked the turn. If he checks the river I would just check and hope that I have the best of it.

Going all in was a huge mistake because he told you twice that you were going to lose and you ignored him.

Snupoker
06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
You can start by not raising the chip-leader's bb with super-marginal hands aka (K-10). Your flop bet seems fine as well as your call of the min-checkraise. However, when you make your flush and the board pairs you have to proceed with EXTREME caution.

Look at this from the big blind's perspective. He is playing from the blind against the other stack at the table that can knock him out of the tournament, so he too is playing warily, but knows he can bluff you off some hands. When you dont re-raise him on the flop, he can safely assume if you are somewhat competent you dont have a big pair, but maybe two big cards or even big hearts.

Back to you as the board pairs the turn and he checks to you. the pot is at 5k, and you bet 2.5k and he min-raises you again. Think about this, is there ANY chance this is a bluff? I dont think so, bc youre gonna call the 2.5k more even with marginal hands. He wants you to commit more chips.

This is the decision point in the hand. Do you call, fold, or raise. Folding, is pretty much out of the question as I would probably even call this min-raise with the naked Ace of hearts. Calling, is an option if youre still unsure of what he has. This will lead to much clearer action on the river, as I cant imagine he tries for 3 check-raises in a row and will lead out for most of his stack. Raising, is essentially all-in (which you choose) and is another valid option.

This is clearly results oriented, but calling seems like the clear play here to his 2ND check-raise on the hand. When he inevitably leads the river, you are again put to the test of what to do. Hands that beat you, 33, 66, 88, 86, any Ax of hearts. What hands would he play like this that you could beat? He's not on a 6 here, as he wouldnt have check-raised the flop. This is where your read of him comes into play.
has he been bluffing excessively, if so this is probably a call all-in on the river. Otherwise, when he bets the river you probably have to fold and grind your way bakc up. I dont know if this made any sense, but I tried how a sensible line of thinking would be and this is what came out.

Snupoker
06-27-2005, 07:14 PM
i think chip leader calls even a 4 times raise big blind with this hand from the bb looking to bust the other big stack with a set. JC put it well. check behind on the turn and dont get yourself in these spots in the 1st place.

SixgunSam
06-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Before the Flop: You really don't need to play KTs. That is a marginal hand from UTG and your chipstack is deep. That is your first mistake. Why risk playing such a tricky hand out of position? Also, I don't like the mini-raise.

After the flop: Now you're heads-up with a guy who could bust you. You get a pretty good flop, but you still don't have a made hand. You had a chance to check for a free-card that could give you a flush, but you decided to bluff instead and you got check raised. Once you were check-raised, you have to assume he has some sort of hand at this point, which is more than what you have. You have 1k to call to win 4k, which is sufficient odds to draw at your flush especially with 2 overcards. You hit your flush, but get unlucky in the fact that he had made a FH, which is always possible when there are 2 paired cards on the board. You also have to look at the fact that this guy is showing lots of strength in the face of the obvious flush on the board. He could very well have made a flush too and with the 2 paired cards, it is always possible that he has a FH. You made a lot of mistakes on this hand, but the worst one was playing it in the first place. There is no reason to play hands like this out of position against a stack that can knock you out of the tournament.

aucubbie
06-27-2005, 11:27 PM
thanks for your help.