PDA

View Full Version : I Found Moneymaker!!!

acIdREIGN462
06-27-2005, 06:05 PM
So my friend calls me up today and tells me that Chris Moneymaker is at our local Winn Dixie. I blow him off but he is persistant so my roommate and I drive over there to check it out thinking it is certainly a prank. However, upon arriving we find Chris Moneymaker playing heads up with some random kid in the Winn Dixie.

Overall it was a pretty sad sight. All of about 5 people were gathered around and Moneymaker looked miserable. A man who I will assume was his agent/manager was begging people to come take pictures with him. So I did.

Anyway I had read the thread today about whether or not he was at the WSOP and decided to let you guys know he is here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana touring supermarkets. I think he is representing this "Canadian Club" whiskey or something.

I asked him personally if he was playing any events at the WSOP other than the ME because I had seen the thread on this topic this morning. He told me he was just playing the ME because he just had a daughter 18 days ago and he was busy with this advertising gig.

Anyway here is the picture taken about an hour ago at Winn Dixie, Baton Rouge, LA. My roommate is on the left and I am standing next to the Canadian Club showgirl "Bambi":

http://img74.echo.cx/img74/8046/clipboard7wk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

augie00
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
That sucks. Poor guy. Raymer is touring aorund the world playing poker tournaments and Chris is pushing whiskey at your local Winn Dixie.

TomHimself
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That sucks. Poor guy. Raymer is touring aorund the world playing poker tournaments and Chris is pushing whiskey at your local Winn Dixie.

[/ QUOTE ]

utmt40
06-27-2005, 06:30 PM
LMAO

djoyce003
06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
dude that's a wicked caveman look you have going. Ever see a razor? And get a haircut and get a real job. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ortho
06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Today's wallpaper!

JoeC
06-27-2005, 06:37 PM
They sell whiskey at Winn Dixie in LA?

acIdREIGN462
06-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Real job? hahahaha "Pokah nice. I love play Pokah."

acIdREIGN462
06-27-2005, 06:47 PM
They don't sell whiskey in Winn Dixie's elsewhere? This is Louisiana, we are all drinkers(notice the LSU paraphernalia).

baronzeus
06-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Why do you feel bad for him? He's a millionaire. And no matter what people say, you'd have to be the luckiest man alive to win the WSOP without any skill.

hoopsie44
06-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Was there any vibe going on between Moneymaker and Bambi?

nath
06-27-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They sell whiskey EVERYWHERE in LA.

augie00
06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you feel bad for him? He's a millionaire. And no matter what people say, you'd have to be the luckiest man alive to win the WSOP without any skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not and never was on the Moneymaker hating bandwagon. I would feel bad for anyone who's making a living doing that, not just Chris.

But I feel especially bad for him because the last thing I want to do as a professional poker player is tour supermarkets playing heads up with some donk in front of five people. I'd want to be, you know, at the WSOP in front of the lights and cameras, raking in huge pots and winning WSOP bracelets.

Let's examine this again:

a. Play heads up for nothing with nobody
b. Play for millions of dollars with top professionals

Which one would you rather be doing?

Russ McGinley
06-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Whats incredibly ironic about it is that a lot of people credit his win for really boosting poker into a mainstream-accepted TV game and now look at him only 2 years later.

Kevmath
06-27-2005, 08:03 PM
The way he's been running, next year he'll be sponsored by Two Buck Chuck.

Kevin...

PuckNPoker
06-27-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think in this particular case, choice (A) is the clear cut +EV selection..

augie00
06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats incredibly ironic about it is that a lot of people credit his win for really boosting poker into a mainstream-accepted TV game and now look at him only 2 years later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not quite sure exactly how ironic it is. His celebrity has certainly died down, that is for certain. But he was never really charismatic in front of the cameras...his celebrity came from the fact that he turned $80 into 2.5 million.

Raymer did something similar, and now it seems that they make a big deal out the usual half of every WPT final table which have qualified by satellite for about $20. Moneymaker isn't anything special anymore, he's just a face on the wall at Binions.

And I forgot to mention to the OP that I replied to is that I doubt that Moneymaker is still a millionare. Or maybe if he is, he probably doesn't live like a "stereotypical" millionare if you will. But that's all just a bunch of guessing. In reality I have no idea. His lack of presence at the WSOP might be an indicator though.

utmt40
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
In the other post I beleive someone stated he just a had a kid with his wife so that also may be some of the reason as to why he isnt playing much. I think we all may be looking into this too much but I doubt he is broke by any means.

acIdREIGN462
06-27-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was there any vibe going on between Moneymaker and Bambi?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, no vibe. If I were to lie and say yes, I bet this thread would get a lot more interesting though. She was out of Moneymaker's league though IMHO.

gildwulf
06-27-2005, 09:00 PM
That's not the Bambi I remember from my childhood.

Bigdaddydvo
06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Looks like he's still doing promo work for Pstars as well.

You know, the commercial where he recreates his "YES!!!" from winning the ME.

He may not have a multimillion dollar endorsement deal from Nike or anything, but he's probably getting some decent scratch for his promo work. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

augie00
06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...he just had a daughter 18 days ago and he was busy with this advertising gig.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pity him because he's not playing. I pitied him because he's not playing and he's touring supermarkets. There is a difference.

DallasCoonass
06-27-2005, 10:31 PM
That the WD on Burbank? If so, he should've gone w/ school in session.

What a tool!, although I probably wouldn't care if people didn't compare him w/ Raymer so much.

CrazyN8
06-28-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grocery stores in LA (Louisiana) have ailses that look like liquor stores. It's a beautiful thing!

acIdREIGN462
06-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Yep the WD on Burbank, are you from around here?

plaid
06-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Who's the one with the big boobs?

And who's the one with the blond curly hair?

:-)

p.s., good job, acIdREIGN462...the thought of a Winn Dixie tour made my night. Gotta wonder how much he's getting paid for this tour. I mean, the Pokerstars gig (national advert -- even if just on cable TV) must be a couple hundred a year...why do this tour?

plaid
06-28-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They don't sell whiskey in Winn Dixie's elsewhere? This is Louisiana, we are all drinkers(notice the LSU paraphernalia).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any states (until now) where hard liquor was sold at a grocery store. All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores. In Massachusetts, no alcoholic beverage (including beer and wine) are sold anywhere but a liquor store, and only during certain hours (and not Sunday).

BTW, is it true that in LA, they have drive up windows, where you can order a margarita to go? (I heard this the other day, and thought it might be an exaggeration).

typesick
06-28-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't see what the problem is here. Moneymaker teamed up with Canadian Club Whiskey and the APL (Amateur Poker League). Canadian Club has been going to the APL events and giving out free samples of their products. The winners of the APL events get to play against Moneymaker in Las Vegas for $2.5 million. Obviously, as part of their business deal, Canadian Club has asked Moneymaker to make some "celebrity appearances" to help advertise their products.

www.amateurpokerleague.com (http://www.amatuerpokerleague.com)

Shibby
06-28-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of any states (until now) where hard liquor was sold at a grocery store. All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores. In Massachusetts, no alcoholic beverage (including beer and wine) are sold anywhere but a liquor store, and only during certain hours (and not Sunday).

BTW, is it true that in LA, they have drive up windows, where you can order a margarita to go? (I heard this the other day, and thought it might be an exaggeration).

[/ QUOTE ]
Not an exaggeration. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I live in Northern Louisiana, but I'm from Baton Rouge and this place up here has completely different liquor laws than BR or NO. It's not Louisiana specific, parishes (counties) make their own laws.

krazyace5
06-28-2005, 02:29 AM
This link works

http://www.ccsmooth.com/index.asp

hicherbie
06-28-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
LMAO

[/ QUOTE ]

jon462
06-28-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can in New Orleans, at least.. 365\year 24/day you can find liquor easily.. i thought it funny they wouldnt sell me a scratch-off after midnight tho, haha

niin
06-28-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All the west coast states sell beer and wine at grocery stores. But hard stuff is sold at designated liquor stores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I buy hard liquor at the big-chain grocery store down the road all the time, in southern CA.

plaid
06-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Hmm...I guess I'm wrong. I lived in Playa del Rey about 12 years ago, and don't remember it to be the case (I guess I'm mistaken -- either that, or they've changed the law). Also lived in Seattle, and I don't remember liquor at a local store there (but being wrong about CA has me questioning that). Well, I'm certain that in OR you have to go to a liquor store (and 1 out of 3 is not very good).

billyjex
06-28-2005, 04:50 AM
yeah.. i buy hard liquor at safeway/rite aid all the time, they have better prices than liquor stores. however in cali we can't buy after 2.

niin
06-28-2005, 05:18 AM
I know I found the concept of liquor in grocery stores odd when I moved to CA from Texas. But Texas is backwards anyway.

Malachii
06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He may not have a multimillion dollar endorsement deal from Nike or anything, but he's probably getting some decent scratch for his promo work. Nothing to be ashamed of at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I still feel badly for him though. I got the feeling after reading his book that he blew all his winnings from the ME on sports betting and just general gambling...

Chief911
06-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Difference between Raymer and Moneymaker?

One of them can play good poker. One can't.

Nick

Your Mom
06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is news to me. In Nebraska and Missouri, the only 2 states I have lived in, hard liquor is sold at every grocery store.

jpumass11
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can buy beer/liquor at a grocery store in Maine as well. I read somewhere that Mainers drink more beer per capita than any other state in the US. Must be the cold winters.

revots33
06-28-2005, 12:19 PM
I kinda feel bad for Moneymaker too. Not because of his finances (I'm sure he's got a lot more money than me, and a lot more than he had before his WSOP win). And don't forget the money he's probably making from his book.

It's just that, from reading the last chapter of his book, it seemed like his WSOP win was a deal with the devil, in a way. He became wealthy, sure - but he lost his wife in the process. He sounded (at least to me) a little lost and disallusioned at the so-called "glamorous" life of the professional poker player. Now he's playing poker and posing for pictures in a supermarket - which doesn't sound like a great life no matter how easy the money.

It also sounds like, from his book, that he had quite a gambling problem - and a big win is usually the worst thing that can happen to a person with a gambling problem.

Bobby Cannoli
06-28-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can buy beer/liquor at a grocery store in Maine as well. I read somewhere that Mainers drink more beer per capita than any other state in the US. Must be the cold winters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cheeseheads would disagree with that very strongly /images/graemlins/smile.gif Though the "cold winter" thing still applies!

Bobby

hoopsie44
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Is he separated or divorced from his wife ?

Art Vandelay
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm...I guess I'm wrong. I lived in Playa del Rey about 12 years ago, and don't remember it to be the case (I guess I'm mistaken -- either that, or they've changed the law). Also lived in Seattle, and I don't remember liquor at a local store there (but being wrong about CA has me questioning that). Well, I'm certain that in OR you have to go to a liquor store (and 1 out of 3 is not very good).

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Santa Monica and you can get hard stuff at the grocery store here.

augie00
06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
If his wife left and took half of Chris' cash with her, I shall declare her a supercunt.

SharkBait
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not and never was on the Moneymaker hating bandwagon. I would feel bad for anyone who's making a living doing that, not just Chris.

But I feel especially bad for him because the last thing I want to do as a professional poker player is tour supermarkets playing heads up with some donk in front of five people. I'd want to be, you know, at the WSOP in front of the lights and cameras, raking in huge pots and winning WSOP bracelets.

[/ QUOTE ]

c. Living vicariously through Gavin Griffin who is using my $ playing for millions vs top professionals. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

wray
06-28-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree one is better than the other. But I think they're both good. After MM's win he got 2nd in a WPT. He can't be that bad.

TomHimself
06-28-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree one is better than the other. But I think they're both good. After MM's win he got 2nd in a WPT. He can't be that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]i still think he pretty bad /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MicroBob
06-28-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't feel THAT bad for him.

If I were to win $2.5-million somehow at the WSOP (or even only $1-million) I think I could do a better job 'cashing in' on my fame and fortune even if I were to never again make a major-tourney final-table.

I think Moneymaker likely has a kinda bad agent or manager or whatever it is he has.

A few months after he won it there was a local TV spot in Memphis that I saw only 2 or 3 times for a men's clothing store.
Moneymaker is at a table against someone else...announcer says, "And Moneymaker is ALL-IN...and his opponent calls!!"
They show a close-up of the cards and Moneymaker has AA and the other guy has KK...the river is an A even though he didn't need it.
"And moneymaker wins again!!" or something like that.
Then a close-up on Moneymaker, "And YOU TOO can look like a winner at such-and-such men's clothing. Get 3 shirts and 3 ties for only $99 (or whatever it was)."

The commercial looked really cheap and stupid.
And this was shortly after he had won the whole thing and was a huge commodity.
I'm guessing he just wanted a couple free suits and agreed to do this commercial with them. Or else it was as a favor to a friend.
It couldn't have made him much money....it was a terrible commercial and I only saw it air a couple of times.

Think about it.....they've got Chris moneymaker peddling their product....and even THEY decided to stop showing the ad just on local TV.
(it's possible this chain of stores is bigger over in the Nashville area and maybe it showed a bit more over there....don't remember the store).

I don't feel terrible about him and his divorce either.
Sounds like they had serious problems before the WSOP anyway.
I'm divorced too...it's not the worst thing in the world.

Basically....what this boils down to is that some people are feeling sorry for the guy who can't seem to cash-in very well on his huge fame.

Here's a question - Doesn't Raymer have a deal with Stars where they are paying his entry to some of the major tourneys? He continues to shlep for Stars (no disrepect to Stars...it's my favorite site actually...and they ARE sending me to the WSOP afterall)?
does Moneymaker have a similar deal with Stars? If he does I haven't heard about it. If he doesn't then why not?

Just curious I suppose.

I find it interesting that even though he isn't as famous, Raymer seems to be doing more with his WSOP win then Moneymaker did.
(I refuse to accept ANY argument that Raymer is more famous than Moneymaker....virtually ALL of my non poker-playing friends and family have heard of Moneymaker and NONE of them have heard of Raymer).

revots33
06-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Well in the epilogue to the book, he says that his new life as a poker player, with all the travel, etc., put a strain on their marriage, and that he and his wife had split up. He said something like she had signed on to marry an accountant, not a professional poker player.

Maybe they got back together since then, don't know about that.

Army Eye
06-28-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

does Moneymaker have a similar deal with Stars? If he does I haven't heard about it. If he doesn't then why not?

Just curious I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea if he was approached with that same deal, but after his win I remember Moneymaker flat out saying he didn't want to be a poker pro. Guy just wanted to be an accountant and chill with his family. Wonder how he felt about that decision after the divorce? Who knows..

-Skeme-
06-28-2005, 06:30 PM
What a bad signature.

MicroBob
06-28-2005, 06:32 PM
That's what he said but he very obviously changed his mind shortly thereafter.
I don't think he was an accountant for very long after his victory.

O71394658
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Who did he have a child with?

PokerNeal
06-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Rumour has it that WSOP has scouting agents in the backwoods of America looking for the next moneymaker. Moneymaker invigorated the game so much that the networks have demanded a nobody with a funky name from the backwoods win this year's WSOP. Having taken a look at the creator of this thread (the hairy bear standing next to the blonde bombshell) I have to conclude that he is being recruited right now by WSOP agents.

Congrats! We have found 2005 WSOP champion right here on TwoPlusTwo!

MonkeeMan
06-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I can be too drunk to walk but can buy booze at the drive-thru. I love it. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(Please don't be MADD at me)

acIdREIGN462
06-28-2005, 07:21 PM
I would be pretty excited about this prospect if I was 21, maybe they will recruit me for 2006 though. The WSOP is rigged!

MackZ24
07-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Well, I personally feel bad for the guy, and I'll tell you why. Because he's representing Canadian Club whiskey. Up here, it's not that great. In fact, in most places I frequent it's the "house whiskey", meaning it's cheap and they keep it on tap. Now, if he was representing Crown Royal, that'd be something!

dawade
07-02-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In Tennessee you can buy beer at any grocery store, but must buy liquour at a "liquor" store. In Michigan, however, they have a liquor aisle in the supermarket, which when we turned the corner in the Meyer's grocery really threw me off...imagine...

"yeah the bread is right on this....{looks at rows and rows of gleaming liquor}....nevermind."

Iam
07-07-2005, 03:34 AM
moneymaker's ex wife Is NOT a superCunt! She did NOT divorce to get half of his money. He played and he paid. To bad it was a cocktail waitress he played with and married. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Now the record is straight /images/graemlins/wink.gifCheck into new wife's pockets? eh? Find a sneaking snake there. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Iam
07-07-2005, 03:39 AM
deep within he can't stand himself so he drinks it away and pisses it away. He will never tell how he deeply felt. It wasn't like he wanted to be caught with another female in hand. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

Billman
07-07-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And I forgot to mention to the OP that I replied to is that I doubt that Moneymaker is still a millionare. Or maybe if he is, he probably doesn't live like a "stereotypical" millionare if you will. But that's all just a bunch of guessing. In reality I have no idea. His lack of presence at the WSOP might be an indicator though.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does a stereotypical millionaire live? I know lots of millionaires and few of them live any sort of stereotypical life. Some spend it like it's going out of style, some buy a new house and sock the rest away for a rainy day, some don't change a thing. A million dollars isn't that much these days. In California the average price of a home is $400k. That's average! Granted, he doesn't live in Ca. but after taxes and such it's not like you're going to be going out and buying Ferraris by the dozen and staying in $10,000 a night hotel rooms the rest of your life. That's exactly the reason that some absurd percentage of lottery winners file for bankruptcy within 10 years of their win. The spend like drunken sailors on leave.

DamitBob
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
The guy is nice enough to give you a pic and autograph and you put him down.

I'm sick of nobodies putin people down

mike_sharpe
07-07-2005, 10:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god, I pitty the poor souls of those who live in these forsaken states. What in the hell are some people thinking?

acIdREIGN462
07-07-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The guy is nice enough to give you a pic and autograph and you put him down.

I'm sick of nobodies putin people down

[/ QUOTE ]

In my original thread I said nothing derogatory towards Mr. Moneymaker. If you will look at the thread that was on the front page on the day of the OP, this was just a factual statement to where he was because people were interested. I personally respect what Moneymaker has done. I felt sorry for him and in no way is that "putting him down."

I am sick of newbies who are unable to comprehend the english language.