PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury Park this coming Sunday

ohkanada
01-30-2003, 01:05 PM
I am flying into Minneapolis for work on Sunday for 11 days. I am not sure how much I will be able to play but I do plan to go to Canterbury on Sunday (late afternoon) after I check-in.

I have played their a few times on weeknights but this will be my 1st weekend visit.

How are the HE (3-6 up to 9-18) games usually on a Sunday afternoon/evening?

Any tournies planned the next few weeks?

Ken Poklitar

pudley4
01-30-2003, 01:59 PM
Check out this link (http://www.canterburypark.com/card/cardt.html) for tourney info.

They have limit holdem tournies ($45+$10 + one $45 rebuy) every Thursday night at 7 pm.

The Sunday morning "tournies" are a total crapshoot, don't waste your time.

They usually have an Omaha8 tourney on the first Wed night of each month.

Sometimes they have a no-limit Holdem tourney on Sunday afternoons, but it usually starts at 3 pm.

The 3/6 and 4/8 games are usually good during the weekend, but they seem to slow down around 6-7 pm on sunday. vehn could tell you more about the 6/12 and 8/16.

Vehn
01-30-2003, 03:50 PM
zzz ok fine why not. 1st off CP spreads hold'em at 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, 6/12, 8/16 and 15/30 regularly. 30/60 goes weekends sometimes. I haven't played blue chip (4/8 and lower) games in some time but I'd suspect they're always going and always good. Like I said yesterday in a different thread I think the 6/12 is the best game in the house. There's usually 2 tables going on weekends and very frequently loose passive or tight passive. The 8/16 which I normally play can be pretty schizo. Usually only 1 table is going on the weekends and can alternate between 7 people to the flop for 1 bet and 2 for 3 bets. Its frequently good though but depends on if you can adjust and how good you are at seat changes /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Tuesday me and this other guy had to draw cards for the right to take the seat to the immediate left of the live one.

About sundays, I don't go much then but the few times I have its always been pretty good. The majority of people bust out of the crapshoot sunday morning tourny around 10-11 and fill the games back up pretty quick. Action probably continues until 11-12 at night.

I would forget playing tournys at CP in general (except for the Fall Classic "mini WSOP" that occurs in, uh, the fall), all of them are the "$35 + $10, blinds double every 20 minutes" variety. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me but I'm not much of a tourny guy.

If you like other games the 4/8 O8 goes full time, the 10/20 goes rarely and the 20/40 surprisingly goes very frequently. All are with 1/2 kill. 7CS has 2/4 (.50 ante/1 force) and 3/6 (same) going full time with 4/8 and or 6/12 going sometimes, never anything higher. Stud/8 has 4/8 (.50/2) going full time and the 30/60 which was popular last year hasn't been seen in months.

Canterbury in a nutshell.

ohkanada
01-30-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I think HE 4-8 or 6-12 will be the games of choice. If I am able to play other times I might try the O8 but I havn't played live since October so I am looking forward to some live HE.

Ken Poklitar

Cooling Heels
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
They have frequent small buy-in tournaments there but
the setup is rather silly; instead of adding money
to the prize pool they rake 20% or more out of the prize pool.

go figure

The cardroom is mainly a Hold Em house, so you will have
no trouble finding a game. On a Sunday afternoon, many
2/4, a few 3/6 and 4/8 games will be going. Stakes
higher than that will vary depending on who shows up,
but there will be games higher than 4/8. Rake on HE
is $4 plus a buck for the jackpot tax.

enjoy your trip...

any2cards
01-30-2003, 11:43 PM
I play at Canterbury 4-6 times a week, and have found it to be very profitable.

For the most part, I agree with many of the comments already made. The one exception would be concerning tournaments. The first Sunday of every month (which this Sunday is) has a very nice No-Limit Holdem tournament. The buy-in is $50, the entry fee $10, and a single optional rebuy of $50.

whiskeytown
02-02-2003, 10:28 PM
hilarious...we get a snowstorm on Sun...otherwise, I'd have been there for the NL tourney on the first Sun. of the month.

will post or PM you if I'm going to be there this week...we'll say hi or something. I like the pocket A's tuesday promotion sometimes...

RB

ohkanada
02-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Tell me about it.

I arrived around 4 p.m. yesterday and of course it was snowing. But I was determined to play and after dropping off my co-worker in Roseville, I drove to the card room.

I played for 4 hours. Winning a whopping $79 playing 3-6. I havn't played much live since moving to Austin and wasn't in the mood for anything higher. I would have played longer but with the snow I figured I should go to the hotel. The drive was a little slow. More snow the closer I got to the hotel.

I will probably be playing again but I am not sure when.

Sure let me know if you or anyone is planning on playing.

Ken Poklitar

ohkanada
02-05-2003, 11:38 AM
I was able to get out last night for a few hours. This time I sat down in a fun 4-8 game. Played for a few hours and again took home a nomimal profit. If not for losing a big pot with QQ vs 66 (runner runner quads) and another big pot with QQ vs AA it could have been even more profitable.

The 3rd hand of the night I win a huge pot with AA in a capped pot where an opponent called all the way with AQ on a Jack high board.

There was a lot of discussion on the table by the other players about proper strategy although only a few seemed to use any of it. Lots of calling on the river with Ace high or assuming a bluff.

One time I raise pre-flop with AJ and bet all the way on a Ace high board. The river double pairs the board (2 lower pairs). My opponent calls my river bet and wants to play the board.

Another favorite is when one player bets the river on a raggedy board. The player who raised preflop and bet the flop decides to call. The river bettor mucks his hand as soon as he is called. The original raiser shows Q7 (no pair). So the original raiser can only win if the other player is betting a worse Queen or Jack high or if the original player mucks.

Lots of straddling going on and even one double straddle. That hand someone who made it 4 bets with AA rivered someone who flopped trips.

Ken Poklitar

whiskeytown
02-06-2003, 11:53 PM
yeah...we do draw a raggity bunch of players...to say the least...

guess that's why players who study seem to make a profit, despite the 4 buck rake...LOL

won't make it out...but hope you have fun in the cold white south....

RB

ohkanada
02-07-2003, 11:28 AM
Another update.

I knew there was a limit tourney last night so I decided to go again. The tourney was a $45+10 buy-in with 1 $45 rebuy. We had 80 players which I think is the max. I was reasonably happy with my play. One bad steal attempt from the blind against a player who had went from 525 to about 4k in 5 hands. My key hand was losing with JJ vs A8 on the river. That left me with almost nothing but I was able to suckout on the same player with JTs vs QQ on a runner/runner flush. I was knocked out a few hands later in about 36th place. The tourney blind structure was much too fast. After the break the blinds doubled every 20 minutes.

After the tourney I decided to play some 6-12 HE. Better players than 3-6 and 4-8 but still a beatable game. I started off well but went card dead. I hit a few draws at the end of the night and ended with a small profit. Very passive game pre-flop. Of the 3 limits I played the least amount of pre-flop raising. There was one older guy who was very decent postflop that seemed to refuse to raise pre-flop. Several times he lost with big pairs against cheese. Somehow he left a big winner.

Not sure if I will be back on this trip. Maybe one more time.

Ken Poklitar

whiskeytown
02-08-2003, 01:52 PM
agreed...although I've done well with those...made about $3000 off them last year and certain players do a VERY good job getting to that final table a lot.

When you lose half the field and the average stack only has 5-6 times the BB, it's moving too fast.

They will take more players if they can fill the tables...as many as they want....the NL ones can get to a 100 on the Sunday afternoons....that one's a bit slower, but still brutal (but no antes either, which is fine) -

I quit playing 6-12 there when i flopped top two pair one night (A's and 10's)- and got rivered by a kid drawing to one of his two case 3's (pocket 3's.) - figured if I was gonnna get run down by amateurs, I'd rather not pay double for the privlege - /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

hope you enjoyed the room...I've had guys like Mike Sexton tell me we don't know how good we have it there compared to other places - (right before he busted me out of a limit tourney with AK vs my 99....LOL) -

RB

ohkanada
02-10-2003, 01:16 PM
I should have taken your advice and not went again on Friday night. I was down early not hitting anything and finally was close to scraping back to even when I hit a set with 55. One opponent went r/r to hit a 1 card straight. I knew things were doomed a few hands later when someone else went r/r to hit a flush. Both times the only reason to call the flop is a r/r situation. No pairs and no solid draws.

Oh well, thats poker,
Ken Poklitar

Mackie
02-10-2003, 04:00 PM
No max # players. First time they did the limit he Thurs night tourney there were 130+. Hasn't been nearly that big since but once in a while , ususally during the summer when there is live racing going on at the track, it gets close to 100. Limits go up every 20 minutes before the first break, too. Too fast, yes, but you can adapt. In the middle rounds it's a blind stealing fest.

ohkanada
02-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Last week there seemed to be a max # of players or the announcer was lieing. Maybe they simply decide the # of tables at the beginning and then don't go above that.

Ken Poklitar

Mackie
02-10-2003, 07:24 PM
They guy that normally runs that tourney, Dave, usually works it so that he can always have seats available up until tourney start time. Once the time arrive (or at most a couple minutes before) he may announce "1 seat left" or "a few seats left". He does this by leaving a seat open at each table after the first few fill, best I can tell. I've seen him break a table before the first hand is dealt, moving everyone into other open seats. If you get to the cage at least 5 minutes before the start you won't get shut out. Now that said I guess there is a practical maximum, if a bus load of players suddenly showed up right before the start they may not have enough tables available. Only once have I been shut out of that tourney, when a arrived a few minutes after the start. But there is no predetermined cap on the number of players, like there is for the Monday morning stud and Sunday morning hold'em shootout.