PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Foxwoods report

splashpot
06-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I recieved a request for a report so here it is. It was a whole lot of fun and I might even go again next weekend. Since I was new to B&M poker, I started off small at the 2/4 limit table. My god. I thought I had seen bad players before. These players were in a category that I had never seen before. This was easily the worst table I have ever seen. Played for about 2 hours at that table and came out ahead $24. Would have been ahead more, but I hit one bad beat towards the end of the 2 hours. My friend ended up $95 at that table.

We then got up to eat lunch since I hadn't eaten anything all day. After lunch, I decided to check out the 4/8 table. The 2/4 waiting list was pretty long and I figured the 4/8 couldn't be much harder. I was right. The 4/8 was a tad tighter than the 2/4 table, but there were still tons of players who played crap like K7o, T4s, etc. Although this game was still pretty good, I took some bad beats and lost about $160 at the table. AA cracked by Q2s when he hits 2 pair on the flop. AQs flops trip Qs beat by 99 when he hits his 9 on the turn. And my personal favorite, AQs flops Q top pair and loses to AJ when he hits runner runner royal flush.

If you think about it in terms of BB, I only lost 20BB at the table which is not a terrible downswing at all. I'm satisfied that I played all of my hands correctly which is all that matters in the long run. I know losing sessions happen and I accept it. I do know now that I can easily crack that 4/8 game and I will be back there soon. All in all, it was a fun experience and I had a good time. I am a good enough poker player that I know I will have some losing sessions. As long as I know my opponents are making more mistakes than I am, I know I will win.

kidcolin
06-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Foxwoods is great. The 4/8 games usually are pretty much the same thing as the 2/4 game, except with some passive old rocks. It's usually just people who:
A) have a little more recreational money to spew
B) think they're too good for the 2/4 game, or think it's unbeatable cuz "everyone calls", yet they're colding you're raises with A7o.

feelixthegreek
06-28-2005, 05:33 PM
There's a strong influence of New England fatalism guiding the play at those tables ("Aces never win," etc.) I only hope the Red Sox success doesn't sharpen their card skills.

topbrelan
06-28-2005, 05:53 PM
I remember being surprised at numerous showdowns to see a set of aces or kings - the winner didn't raise preflop because he "always lost with big pairs" yikes...

AKQJ10
06-28-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a strong influence of New England fatalism guiding the play at those tables ("Aces never win," etc.) I only hope the Red Sox success doesn't sharpen their card skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome!

I've been assured more than once that "aces never win". You can imagine the prop bets I offered -- forget cold-decking, just give me the same two aces to show down each hand.

As for $2/4 versus $4/8, I find that the 4/8 can be every bit as fishy as the 2, or it can be relatively tough (e.g. 4 to the flop instead of 7 or 8). Hence game selection is more important at 4 than at 2, where they're virtually always great games.

kidcolin
06-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I think it's always easily beatable, just not always quite as fishy the 2/4. Many times yes. There's been a couple of times where I sat down and it was a lot of rocks... but not good rocks. Not quite as profitable, but still pretty easy. And every now and then there'll be one other guy at the 4/8 table whose game I respect.