PDA

View Full Version : monthly or weekly digest

tjh
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
There is some really useful info on this forum and then there is some junk. I like both and sometimes I have the time to wade through the posts til I find an informative discussion.

A digest or weekly collection of links to the GOOD STUFF would be helpful. I noticed someone on the small stakes forum is taking the time to do this.

It would be a pain in the neck to produce but I am sure that some of you do this for your own purposes anyhow.

Anyone want to post a weekly or monthly post that contains a summary of and links to the good threads ?

Not that the "Raptor 12 table challenge", as is the "would a bookie take Irie's bet" thread or the "Your ROI is pure variance but mine represents pure skill" thread is not a great thread. I love that stuff, but a collection of other useful stuff might be helpful. Also as I get better at poker I learn that some of the posts are not as helpful as the
others.

I know some of us like the "treasure hunt" of weeding out the bad and finding the good posts from the masters. And perhaps it should remain that way. If someone kept track of the good stuff and helped me find whatever I may have missed I would certainly appreciate the hard work that they did.

If I spent more time here I might try that. I however get to read about 40 threads a day.. tops. I am sure that I miss lots of stuff.

Just an idea.. flame away..

--
tjh

Cunning Linguist
06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Bottom line, I don't think anybody wants such valuable information to be so easily accessible.

tjh
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Here is a link to the Small stakes digest..

SS DIGEST (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2726137&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1#Post2728997)

maddog2030
06-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Perhaps we can do this somewhere in the SNG Wiki (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2734511&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1). It would distribute the effort and people can add links they thought were useful. They could be organized by subject or date.

durron597
06-27-2005, 02:46 PM
This is a good idea. When will you make your first digest?

tjh
06-27-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good idea. When will you make your first digest?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. great response. I knew we would we get one of those. I like the WIKI idea because then when I skip a week of posts then that week would not be lost. Just an idea though.

Me... I probably should be playing more poker and reading this less anyhow. Instead of opening up a second table I tend to read the forum and one-table.

--
tjh

AKQJ10
06-27-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line, I don't think anybody wants such valuable information to be so easily accessible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, and tjh does, so obviously that assertion isn't literally true.

More to the point, though, where do you draw the line? Some people think it's awful that this site exists, educating "their" fish. My belief is, people who really want to improve will learn to do so, and trying to stop them is pointless. For people who aren't willing to invest the time to improve, a thread digest isn't going to help much. Whatever they manage to glean, they won't begin to know how to apply it.

Reasonable minds may differ of course.

Cunning Linguist
06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do, and tjh does, so obviously that assertion isn't literally true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, but this discussion has come up quite a few times in the past and the results are always the same. Refer to this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=2545255 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=sticky&Searchpage=0&Limit= 25&Main=2545255&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=300 65&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=m&olderval=&ol dertype=&bodyprev=#Post2545255)

[ QUOTE ]
Reasonable minds may differ of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course, and I don't mean to dog your efforts at all.
It is commendable that you are willing to put so much work into something like this for the benefit of others.

A_PLUS
06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
I will do it as soon as I am finished washing his car, and picking up his dry cleaning

gildwulf
06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
I just made a June digest here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2736080&page=1&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

gildwulf
06-27-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same argument that people made when Super System came out...that providing information to people so easily would ruin the games and make it harder for people to win.

Boof*ckinghoo.

We all know that because there is such a high level of noise in this forum (i.e. "look how many SNGs I can do in a week" or "look how high my ROI is" posts), it is very difficult to find valuable information. Since this information is so hard to find, often times you have n00bs asking the same questions over and over again. This generates sarcastic, sometimes cruel responses from the Pooh-bahs and other forum gurus, which in turn generates more noise. This increased noise can turn interested people away from the forums who could have provided valuable input in the future with a little practice.

Fundamentally, the point of this forum is to share information with one another and to do so in a free environment. If Sklansky and co. wanted it any other way, they would have charged admission to this forum.

I would also like to point out that the forum itself is only as valuable as the information that is generated within it. If we discourage newer players from learning and contributing to the forums, there is a danger that the forum's ideas will become incestuous, where only a dozen or so people will contribute meaningful posts and the rest of the posters will simply fawn over their vast knowledge. I see this happening now.

Providing newer players with the basic resources (FAQ, wikis, digests, etc.) to develop skills more quickly will eventually reduce the noise in the forum, and allow for a richer intellectual environment over time.

Intellectual elitism is not the answer to how we can make the forum more valuable.

The Yugoslavian
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Intellectual elitism is not the answer to how we can make the forum more valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me...where do I sign up? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh wait, I already belong to this group..it's Raptor's AIM buddy list (the poker playing bit anyway...jesus you guys should see his AIM list...it's like a f*ckin' telephone book).

Yugoslav