PDA

View Full Version : 99 overpair facing all-in

TheDrone
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Full Tilt $10+1, 30 left, 19 pay.

I have the second biggest stack on my 6-handed table with 24k. I have been playing very few hands, and my raises have been getting respect. Big stack (34k) has been playing somewhat aggro but has not been dominating the table or anything.

Blinds 500/1000 ante 100 (I think)

Hero is UTG and raises 3x with 99.
Big Stack calls in MP.

Flop(8.1k): 3-5-5 rainbow
Hero bets 5k, Big Stack pushes, Hero?

Sam T.
06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Hero can't call fast enough. I suppose TT or JJ is possible but anything higher than that is re-popping pre-flop. He's making the typical low buy-in read: He's got a hand I can beat, and the stack to push him off it.

Call the bet and win, and you are going deep, baby!

Sam

locutus2002
06-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Hero calls.

Hero is getting 2:1 in the pot. Unless hero has some compelling evidence that villain has a higher pair this is an easy call when you could unfortunately be behind 1/2 the time.

MegaBet
06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
call call call!!!

Short of flopping a set, what else could you want? You can't put villain on a 5 because of the raise (A5 unlikely depending on reads), no straight or flush draws, so go for it.

LuvDemNutz
06-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Is Big Stack tricky enough to cold-call with AA looking to trap?

Does Big Stack want to get involved in a hand with the only player at the table that can really do damage to his stack without a premium holding?

What range of hands does big stack put Hero on given Hero's UTG raise?

TheDrone
06-27-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Big Stack tricky enough to cold-call with AA looking to trap?

Does Big Stack want to get involved in a hand with the only player at the table that can really do damage to his stack without a premium holding?

What range of hands does big stack put Hero on given Hero's UTG raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good questions, and herein lies my perceived dilemma. I wasn't sure if Big Stack was an observant, thinking player. If he is, then he would know that my UTG raise represents a big hand, namely TT-AA, AQs, AKx. I don't include 99 because my image seemed tighter than actuality due to the quality of my showdown hands and the respect I was getting.

When he came over my flop bet, I really didn't think he would do this without at least an overpair. Is it more likely now that he holds TT-AA or 66-88, or maybe 55? At the time I was thinking I could call with TT but not with 99, so I folded. Unfortunately I forgot a critical piece of info - to discount QQ/KK (and maybe JJ/AA) because most people would reraise them preflop in MP. Recognizing that plus a 10% bluff/donk factor, I would have called 99 no problem, and 88 doesn't look that bad either.

As it turned out, he wasn't much of a thinking player anyway, so I was giving him too much credit for giving me credit (mistake #2). He shows 99 and says something like "seemed good enough to push".

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My only consolation is that my weak-tight a$$ made the final table, but it could have been better. Live and learn...