PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm serving jury duty in the L.A. Criminal Court right next to Judge Ito's courtroom. Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day. Thank God I believe in jury nullification or I'd be here another week maybe.

-Michael

slickpoppa
06-27-2005, 01:32 PM
It sickens me when I hear about people complaining about jury duty and then btiching about the OJ and Michael Jackson verdicts. I don't know if you are one of those people, but I think bitching about jury duty is dumb regardless. You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
"You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials."

I am, but if I ever move again I'm not registering to vote. I get nothing out of voting and this is miserable.

UPDATE: I tried to download Eurobet poker but couldn't, so I'm playing $1 blackjack, three hands at a time, and intend to do so all day, unless a hot chick comes by to watch, in which case I'll start playing $100 a hand.

-Michael

wacki
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the government shouldn't rape the jurors either. At a minimum free food, internet (work purposes), and drinks should be provided during breaks.

wacki
06-27-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tried to download Eurobet poker but couldn't,

[/ QUOTE ]

Government computer? What stopped you? There is always empire and pacific.

slickpoppa
06-27-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the government shouldn't rape the jurors either. At a minimum free food, internet (work purposes), and drinks should be provided during breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

wacki
06-27-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the government compensated you for lost work. Is this not the case?

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They pay you like $15 for the day.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:43 PM
I haven't lost any work. They pay $15 a day but only for the second day and beyond. Also, they told us to arrive at 7:45 a.m. I was here on time, and at 8:45 they finally started juror orientation. Since I don't have a real job, this is just a huge waste of time.

Yeah I'm on a government computer, I can't download stuff.

Right now they are calling for a potential 15-day trial. Whew, just finished and I didn't get called.

-Michael

Soul Daddy
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. Many companies have jury duty protection, which pays you your normal wage while you're out, but I don't believe they're required.

sfer
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I served on a jury last year. It was fun. I started smoking again so I could take regular breaks outside.

wacki
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even bother? Good lord there is something terribly wrong with that. I can see them not wanting to give full compensation because that would make the wrong kind of people want jury duty but $15?!?! wow.

-Skeme-
http://www.marnin.com/images/homer/homerdoh.gif

Se-ques-terred..

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Well, we are allowed to take breaks whenever we want, and if we are not here when they call a panel they just skip us. So it might even be possible to just get up and leave, as I suspect their threats are idle. In fact, there was just an article in Newsweek about how CA does nothing if you don't show up. But I am already in lots of trouble for not having auto insurance, stalking, etc., and don't want to test the authorities anymore.

-Michael

slickpoppa
06-27-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why even bother? Good lord there is something terribly wrong with that. I can see them not wanting to give full compensation because that would make the wrong kind of people want jury duty but $15?!?! wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be better if they required employers to compensate people while they are on jury duty. If the government reimbursed people, I think abuse would be much more likely. I don't know what to do about self employed people.

mmbt0ne
Screw blackjack man, you can play pokerroom through the Java interface without downloading anything. Chinese poker all day.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
But I am already in lots of trouble for not having auto insurance, stalking, etc., and don't want to test the authorities anymore. -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm....story? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
"stalking"

I don't want to give any specifics. Let's just say I had never experienced a crush until 6 months ago. My crush is only semi-requited, and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm very socially awkward, I don't follow society's rules, and no doesn't always mean no, even if I'm not a good judge of when it does.

-Michael

mike l.
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
what sorta tard are you? didnt your papa gabe teach you better? you just thorw those things in the mail when you get them and dont think another second about em.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 01:56 PM
" you just thorw those things in the mail when you get them and dont think another second about em."

Why do you throw them in the mail? You mean in the trash? Anyways, I am trying to uphold my civic duty. Plus, the idea of completely screwing over a bunch of people for days just by refusing to agree with them intrigues me.

-Michael

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to give any specifics. Let's just say I had never experienced a crush until 6 months ago. My crush is only semi-requited, and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm very socially awkward, I don't follow society's rules, and no doesn't always mean no, even if I'm not a good judge of when it does. -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude! Most people, even soicially akward ones, figure out if no means no long before a restraining order is issued. First crush though? How old are you? Well anyway, I hope you get past it and move on with things. Best way is find osmeone else. Rebound sex will snap you right out of it.

mike l.
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
"Why do you throw them in the mail? You mean in the trash?"

yeah trash sorry im just waking up, i dont get up at 7am to drive off to jury duty like some losers i know...

anyway no need to go to jury duty, im pretty sure youll be experiencing a long jury trial right up close any day now.

pryor15
[ QUOTE ]
But I am already in lots of trouble for not having auto insurance, stalking, etc., and don't want to test the authorities anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would think that info could get you out of jury duty. i know here if your place of employment can't function w/o you, you can get out of it. is that something you can get away w/?

wacki
[ QUOTE ]
Screw blackjack man, you can play pokerroom through the Java interface without downloading anything. Chinese poker all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've downloaded bodog poker onto a flash drive and played it like that on University Computers. You could try that. I haven't tried Coral yet.

BeerMoney
06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials."

I am, but if I ever move again I'm not registering to vote. I get nothing out of voting and this is miserable.

UPDATE: I tried to download Eurobet poker but couldn't, so I'm playing $1 blackjack, three hands at a time, and intend to do so all day, unless a hot chick comes by to watch, in which case I'll start playing $100 a hand.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

AWESOME POST!

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:03 PM
"Most people, even soicially akward ones, figure out if no means no long before a restraining order is issued. First crush though? How old are you?"

Well, it hasn't gotten to the restraining order stage yet, but she lives about five minutes from here. I don't make it out this way often, I don't want to sit through rush hour. If she's home I'm definitely going to see some police tonight.

Up $21 on Eurobet.

-Michael

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Back to even $$. I wonder how much this will cost me.

-Michael

sfer
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Most people, even soicially akward ones, figure out if no means no long before a restraining order is issued. First crush though? How old are you?"

Well, it hasn't gotten to the restraining order stage yet, but she lives about five minutes from here. I don't make it out this way often, I don't want to sit through rush hour. If she's home I'm definitely going to see some police tonight.

Up $21 on Eurobet.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, the worst thing you can blurt out is something along the lines of, "WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO ME?????" Good luck with the po-po.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
"Generally, the worst thing you can blurt out is something along the lines of, "WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO ME?????"

Well, it gets really awkward. I usually don't talk, I just start taking clothes off after ten minutes or so. That's when the cops come.

-Michael

BeerMoney
06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Back to even $$.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please keep us posted.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Still close to even. Took about 1/2 hour off from playing. Lunch time is in another 1/2 hour, I'm going to start early, although I can't figure out how lunch will be any better than this.

-Michael

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Get drunk. Then run naked through her lawn sprinklers.

wacki
06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it gets really awkward. I usually don't talk, I just start taking clothes off after ten minutes or so. That's when the cops come.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is golden. You're young, reasonably well off, smart, and funny. I don't know what you look like but I have a feeling if you can do [censored] like this in real life you won't have a problem. Maybe you just need to get out more and stop being so addicted to 2+2. *wacki looks in mirror* Or maybe you are just [censored] with us. It's hard to tell.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck.

razor
06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unless a hot chick comes by to watch, in which case I'll start playing $100 a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't find that the chicks are put off by the teddy bear and rasta hat?

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Haha, razor, you want me!

Some chicks love the teddy bear, others the rasta hat, but usually not both.

-Michael

stabn
06-27-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I got paid more for my milage driving across the bridge to serve than i did for the jury duty itself when i served last summer /images/graemlins/frown.gif. Luckily I was only there for two days since the parties settled during the trial.

razor
06-27-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, razor, you want me!

[/ QUOTE ]

nah... although until I saw you on Live at the Bike a couple weeks back I was somewhat worried I might develop a man-crush if I ever saw what you looked like.

you'll be happy (presumably) to know that I didn't.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 02:51 PM
"nah... although until I saw you on Live at the Bike a couple weeks back I was somewhat worried I might develop a man-crush if I ever saw what you looked like."

Actually you just took whatever part of my ego that Jeannine left.

-Michael

razor
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sfer
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Generally, the worst thing you can blurt out is something along the lines of, "WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO ME?????"

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

You only really need to unzip your fly, you know. If you lived in NY and took the subway regularly you'd know that.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Just lost $300 playing online blackjack. Was playing $1 for a long time, breakeven, went nuts and started playing $25 a hand. Thanks Superior Court. (Gambling addicts always blame it on somebody else.)

-Michael

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just lost $300 playing online blackjack. Was playing $1 for a long time, breakeven, went nuts and started playing $25 a hand. Thanks Superior Court. (Gambling addicts always blame it on somebody else.) -Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the only correct move is to keep doubling the bet until you get it back.

Michael Davis
06-27-2005, 05:08 PM
"Well the only correct move is to keep doubling the bet until you get it back."

Been there. Works sometimes.

-Michael

BottlesOf
06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
This thread is phenomenal.

tonypaladino
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
$15/day?? That blows
In NY if your employer doesn't pay you it's $40 a day.

TONY

sfer
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/onegymrat/LMD2.jpg

Jury material?

nolanfan34
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is phenomenal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

And holy cow, I guess the Michael J. Fox comparison wasn't a joke, was it?

RicktheRuler
06-27-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm serving jury duty in the L.A. Criminal Court right next to Judge Ito's courtroom. Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day. Thank God I believe in jury nullification or I'd be here another week maybe.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

In VA the state pays you (for food and misc expenses) and your job is supposed to give you the time off paid. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SomethingClever
06-27-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

And holy cow, I guess the Michael J. Fox comparison wasn't a joke, was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually think he looks more like this guy.

http://www.goldenstateautographs.com/photographs/images/hallanthonymichael.jpg

razor
06-27-2005, 08:39 PM
<font color="white">perhaps I spoke too soon... </font>

thatpfunk
06-27-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, there was just an article in Newsweek about how CA does nothing if you don't show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing can be done. It isn't certified mail, it is impossible to prove you recieved it. Trash can every time now (after going twice and getting called 2 more times. I'm only 22, I think they start to frequent mail the suckers who show up).

wacki
06-28-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Jury material?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that you Michael? Or am I missing something?

BTW, quit those cigarettes you [censored] shithead.

Michael Davis
06-28-2005, 04:00 AM
That's me. I don't smoke.

-Michael

wacki
06-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Then what is that in your mouth?

Michael Davis
06-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Just because I have a cigarette in my mouth doesn't mean I smoke. (Insert joke here)

-Michael

Klepton
06-28-2005, 04:34 AM
just because i went to a gay bar doesn't mean i'm drunk

Justin A
06-28-2005, 04:49 AM
Am I the only one who can never tell if Michael Davis is serious or not for most of his posts?

jason_t
06-28-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who can never tell if Michael Davis is serious or not for most of his posts?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Michael Davis
06-28-2005, 04:55 AM
"Am I the only one who can never tell if Michael Davis is serious or not for most of his posts?"

Haha, in all honesty, amidst extreme social awkwardness, this is the only game I have.

-Michael