PDA

View Full Version : Always Short-Stacked Leading up to Final Table

ditmad2003
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I have a problem in that whenever I get near the final table I'm always chasing the BB. If I'm lucky I'll make the final table by either getting a premium hand or by others going bust.

I'm obviously playing too tight, but whenever I try loosen up my game I get bitten and end up losing more than I gain. How do I avoid this?

Thanks in advance
ditmad2003

Sam T.
06-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Your more immediate problem are the flames you're about to catch for posting this question before using the search function. This question has been asked and answered many times in many ways.

Also, you make this sound like it happens all the time. Unless you're talking about three-table tournies, some will find that hard to believe.

Stay here, do a lot of reading, and you'll get things straighened out.

Sam

ditmad2003
06-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks Sam

Apologies everyone, I've just joined the site today and am still finding my feet. I have also just busted out a tourney again and am getting really frustrated.

Thanks and apologies again.

Regards
ditmad2003

A_PLUS
06-27-2005, 01:18 PM
If you are already getting frustrated about busting out of a tournament, you may want to stick to cash games or SNGs. The swings in MTTs are huge. You can play perfect, and not win a tournament for months.

ditmad2003
06-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi A PLUS

Thanks for the advice. The problem I have is not busting out so much as the fact that I'm always chasing the blinds after the first hour. I may get a reprieve when I do get doubled up but generally not for long. If I've played well and busted out, that's poker. But I feel I can improve my game sufficiently that when I do get to the final table I'm not always short. Again thanks for the advice, I've managed to get myself off tilt now as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a few things in mind that I'll try out in some freerolls and see how I get on.

Regards
ditmad2003

A_PLUS
06-27-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a few things in mind that I'll try out in some freerolls and see how I get on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it sounds like you are least on the right track, being upset about you play rather than results. But, it is very tough to play loose aggressive poker in free events. Your opponents just dont fold enough for it to work. Instead, what I would suggest is playing a NL ring game. Force yourself to play more hands (I usually play where I wont fold to < 3xBB raise from CO or Button). Another good tool would be to play a slower moving SNG (Ultimate Bet) where you play many more speculative hands at the lower levels.

Sam T.
06-27-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it sounds like you are least on the right track, being upset about you play rather than results. But, it is very tough to play loose aggressive poker in free events. Your opponents just dont fold enough for it to work. Instead, what I would suggest is playing a NL ring game. Force yourself to play more hands (I usually play where I wont fold to < 3xBB raise from CO or Button). Another good tool would be to play a slower moving SNG (Ultimate Bet) where you play many more speculative hands at the lower levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also recommend the Stars 2-table and 3-table non-turbo SnGs. Very good practice for MTTs, especially bubble play, and very profitable once you figure them out.

I actually spend more time playing SnGs than MTTs - I just don't have 5-6 free hours all that often, and since it is pretty easy to go long stretches without a major cash, you gotta do something to keep the bank roll healthy. There may be some folks on this site who only play MTTs, but I think most supplement that with ring games or SnGs.

Good luck,

Sam

ditmad2003
06-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi A

Thanks again for the great advice. I seem to have a good success rate in the single table SnG and a moderate success with multi table SnG. I will be taking your advice and trying out different things on these however. I feel that if I go in with the right attitude to start with I won't get as frustrated as I did today.

Thanks again.

Regards
ditmad2003

ditmad2003
06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
Hi Sam

Thanks for the great advice. I'll be looking at this and hopefully I can post a much more positive message.

Regards
ditmad2003

A_PLUS
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.
As you try to adapt new things into your game, post the hand history along with your thought process (dont post the results). Most of the times you will just get replies like, 'most idiotic play in history'. But even the process of posting your own hand is helpful, and you will get some great replies.

Good Luck