06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
sucked. Discuss.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 12:11 PM
There's nothing to discuss.

-Skeme-
06-27-2005, 12:12 PM
So you concur? Excellent. Did you like Crouching Tiger?

swede123
06-27-2005, 12:18 PM
I really really liked Crouching Tiger, and comparatively Hero was pretty disappointing. I didn't hate Hero, and there were certain aspects that I enjoyed, but it seemed disjointed and the pace was much too slow at times. Did anyone see House of Flying Daggers? Thumbs up or down on that one?

Swede

-Skeme-
06-27-2005, 12:27 PM
It looks like Hero 2. I don't like movies where the impossible is possible. Cars jumping over trains with backflips and barrel rolls, people flying around, ninjas dodging thousands of arrows.. bleh.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It looks like Hero 2. I don't like movies where the impossible is possible. Cars jumping over trains with backflips and barrel rolls, people flying around, ninjas dodging thousands of arrows.. bleh.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you liked Crouching Tiger?

MoreWineII
06-27-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sucked. Discuss.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to most of the absolute horseshit Hollywood is churning out now, no. Compared to truly "great" movies, yes.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I don't like Crouching Tiger type action scenese, so I usually don't like these kinds of movies. However, I found Hero to be an amazingly beautiful movie and a wonderful story. By far the best of its kind that I've seen.

junkmail3
06-27-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like Crouching Tiger type action scenese, so I usually don't like these kinds of movies. However, I found Hero to be an amazingly beautiful movie and a wonderful story. By far the best of its kind that I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

And better than House of Flying Daggers.

-Skeme-
06-27-2005, 12:37 PM
No, I disliked Crouching Tiger aswell.

WillMagic
06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
It didn't suck. It wasn't Zhang's best work by any means...Raise the Red Lanterns and To Live were both much better, but Hero is still a visually stunning film and a joy to watch.

Will

-Skeme-
06-27-2005, 01:27 PM
It wasn't visually stunning to me. It sucked.

Nathan183
06-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I liked it. In fact, I bought it.

istewart
06-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I usually reserve high expectations for films that don't have Jet Li in them.

Alobar
06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
maybe you and tbach can get together and watch some movies. He has bad taste as well.

Willluck
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
This movie was great.

TheIrishThug
06-27-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually reserve high expectations for films that don't have Jet Li in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

since romeo must die and the one where such great works of art, i understand ur stance. however, credit must be given where it is due. good movie and very pleasing visually.

kurosh
06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
When I watch this movie, I touch myself.

[censored]
06-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I didn't enjoy like I had hoped to but I think that was do to it being a different type of movie than I expected. Sucks seems way to harsh though. I thought it did what it wanted to do incredibly well, it just didn't appeal to me.

zephed
06-27-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It didn't suck. It wasn't Zhang's best work by any means...Raise the Red Lanterns and To Live were both much better, but Hero is still a visually stunning film and a joy to watch.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]
What website did you steal this review from?

Reef
06-27-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix1010
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I had mixed feelings on it. I had high hopes for it so I was disappointed the first time I saw it. The second time, I just watched it for what it was and appreciated the visuals and the story. I like it, but I can understand why others wouldn't.

asofel
06-27-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BusterStacks
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
This movie was fantastic. One of my favorites.

Klepton
06-27-2005, 05:41 PM
i thought you were talking about how dustin hoffman saved geena david and then andy garcia lied about it

now that movie SUCKED

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe you and tbach can get together and watch some movies. He has bad taste as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain why this movie isn't a piece of crap. Them being able to fly around and cut [censored] with their swords isn't enough.

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Did you not enjoy the storyline? I thought that was the coolest part!

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Guess not, just wasn't very appealing to me. Just watched My Life As A Dog, enjoyed it. Been getting a lot of foreign flicks lately, enjoying the majority of those. Run, Lola, Run was good. I liked 7 Samurai as well.

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
seemed like a good movie to me. very different and a somewhat boring storyline, but the visuals were very poetic and incredible. there is a profound message in the movie, at least that i got out of it, is that sometimes genecide leads to the greater good. dont get me wrong, i dont agree that killing off races of people is a good idea or morally right whatsoever, but the message makes you think about things from new perspective.

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 09:14 PM
Did you not think that the fight between Broken Sword and Flying Snow was powerful? It made me sad!

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Guess it just wasn't that deep to me. Nothing hit me at the end. Was pretty boring altogether, to be honest.
Beautiful Girls is one of the better movies I've Netflixed as of late. I liked LA Confidential, too.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you not think that the fight between Broken Sword and Flying Snow was powerful? It made me sad!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess not. I don't even remember it. The Our Land bit was cute, but that's all. Did you like CTHD?

BusterStacks
06-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, although I only saw it once. And I was very stoned, so I couldn't say much about it.

TStoneMBD
06-30-2005, 09:23 PM
i havent seen the movie in quite a while so i dont remember the scenes very well. i think my favorite fight was the one with the infinite raining red petals. the fight scene on the water was also pretty cool.

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah, those kind of scenes just don't do it for me. Not a fan of the impossible.

oreogod
06-30-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All this stuff that you hate in the movie...the jumping around, flying, etc. Its all based on old school chinese literature in which characters could do all this stuff. And, well the movie is based on old school chinese literature and characters found within.

If you hated Crouching Tiger you're an idiot if u think you would have liked this movie. Just like House of Flying Daggers will probably suck to you as well. You know there is going to be somersaults and flying sword kicks that defy gravity, so why see it in the first place.

Movie was absolutly cool. Not the best out there, but awesome to watch. Its a forgein film, not many have the taste for them.

-Skeme-
06-30-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know there is going to be somersaults and flying sword kicks that defy gravity, so why see it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't. I have over 150 movies in my Netflix queue. I got them by random people's reccomendations. I didn't look into Hero before I saw it. I heard from another person that it sucked, but that was it. I saw a preview when I saw Ong Bak or something and it didn't look like CTHD. I didn't know it was gonna be the same format.

And I just mentioned in a previous post that I had been renting a lot of foreign films and liking them. I watched 3 and a half hours of black and white film with subtitles without a problem. It's not the film being foreign.

Just watched Super Size Me, it was okay.

2+2 wannabe
06-30-2005, 11:01 PM
i was indifferent about hero - i liked it but it was SO hyped up (my g/f had watched it 3 years ago in taiwan and loved it). i watched it and it was ok.

regardless, hero >>>>> house of flying daggers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> crouching tiger

the last 1/4 of house of flying daggers was amazing

WillMagic
06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
None. That is actually my informed opinion.

Feel free to watch all three films and tell me that I'm full of it. You would be wrong, of course, but it's a free country.

Oh, and really, don't you have anything better to do than just being an [censored] for no good reason?

Will