PDA

View Full Version : $11: Level 1 weak-tightness -- is this a leak or a solid fold?

spentrent
06-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t770)
MP1 (t770)
Hero (t800)
MP3 (t995)
CO (t770)
Button (t745)
SB (t1340)
BB (t755)
UTG (t255)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t87.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB bets 75, UTG calls 75, Hero ???

BB's bet + UTG's call + 3 left to act causes Hero to autofold his overpair here. Solid poker or leaky poker?

In a cash game I'll raise here more often than not to try to isolate one of the villains in front, but in a Party-style tournament I don't want to spew chips this early.

Thoughts?

45suited
06-27-2005, 11:56 AM
I like the fold. If you have the best hand, with two active players and 3 left to act, you're hand is vulnerable. Plus it's an unraised pot.

Fold, maintain your stack, outplay the donkeys later. NH.

OrcaDK
06-27-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the fold. If you have the best hand, with two active players and 3 left to act, you're hand is vulnerable. Plus it's an unraised pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

spentrent
06-27-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like this line a cash game as well? Your statement about an unraised pot reminds me of Doyle's maxim from Super System.

45suited
06-27-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you like this line a cash game as well? Your statement about an unraised pot reminds me of Doyle's maxim from Super System.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes. I'd be more likely to continue with the hand in a cash game, but I'd probably still fold because of the factors that I gave earlier.

I sometimes play 25NL and, man, you can really make some money by nut peddling... This is one of those "vulnerable, weak made hands" spots against multiple opponents that I really don't like to get too involved with.

curtains
06-27-2005, 04:41 PM
I agree with this fold as well. This is almost automatic for me in this type of situation in a multiway field.

JeanieJ
06-27-2005, 04:57 PM
The board is far too scarey to continue here. You've got the straight draw, the flush draw not to mention any two pair (which could be out there at these limits).

Folding is the only move here in my opinion.

AA suited
06-28-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting..

Since this is a 10+1, I would have put them on a straight/flush draw and raised to 200 to make it expensive.

Then go all-in on turn if no draw card.

But you're saying why risk it so early in the tourny when you only invested 15 chips?

But the pot is ~200... 25% added to your stack is not worth the risk in this situation???

45suited
06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since this is a 10+1, I would have put them on a straight/flush draw and raised to 200 to make it expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

But there are two active players with 3 yet to act. One of them made an almost pot sized bet and the other one called it. BB could literally have anything: two pair, OESD, flush draw. UTG might just have two overs, but that adds to the list of cards that can beat you on the turn or river. Now you add in the possibility that one of the other 3 yet to act has a piece of this board or a draw... the list of turn and river cards that can beat you is huge. And there are exactly two cards that can improve YOUR hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Then go all-in on turn if no draw card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you might not even be ahead here... There is a draw heavy flop, in a six way, unraised pot.

[ QUOTE ]
But you're saying why risk it so early in the tourny when you only invested 15 chips?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much I've invested in the pot is not relevant to my decision. I'm just basing the decision on the factors listed above.

[ QUOTE ]
But the pot is ~200... 25% added to your stack is not worth the risk in this situation???

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and I don't think it's even close, especially at an 11, why get involved here in the face of all the negative factors when it is so easy to outplay these guys later? If you're behind here, you have two cards that can improve your hand. If you're ahead, half the deck could easily beat you.