PDA

View Full Version : Buying new laptop today, opinions please!!

Bill Bixby
06-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, its me Bix. First of all, does Gateway suck? Im buying a brand new Gateway laptop today, 15.4, 512, DVD BURNER +/-, 3.06 GHZ pentium 4, 80 gig. BRIGHT SCREEN. Nine hundred bucks... Is that a pretty good deal? Thx in advance.

PS Any Hulk fans out there? (Tv series not the lame movie)

RickyG
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I dont like Gateway. I would go with Dell.

Just my $0.02

perfectm
06-28-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys, its me Bix. First of all, does Gateway suck? Im buying a brand new Gateway laptop today, 15.4, 512, DVD BURNER +/-, 3.06 GHZ pentium 4, 80 gig. BRIGHT SCREEN. Nine hundred bucks... Is that a pretty good deal? Thx in advance.

PS Any Hulk fans out there? (Tv series not the lame movie)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Compaq Presario (cant remember hte number) with an Athlon 64 3200+ (2 ghz) and 512MB ram. This machine is GREAT for poker in terms of processor power and memory. I can play 4 tables at Ultimate Bet without any performance issues...BUT, I would try and go for something that can handle a higher resolution. I think the best mine can do is 1200x800 and its not the greatest in terms of fitting in multiple tables without overlapping.

Compaq has come a long way from the crap they used to produce since HP bought them.

Just another brand to consider.

edit: I don't have any connection to this site but here is a link to my specific model. its a widescreen 15.4 laptop
http://www.computerbargains.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16716&cat=250

MrTrik
06-28-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm a Dell guy and have owned both Dell and Gateway. I have had better luck with Dell. And the prices seemed comparable for what you get last time I checked.