PDA

View Full Version : Which puzzles/games help sharpen poker skills?

bkholdem
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Anyone out there with good insight on this? I'm wondering about mental/psychological 'cross training'. What would be some good games/puzzles, etc. to do/practice with and why?

I.E. crossword puzzles, rubix cube type puzzles, chess, etc.

I'm wondering if it is more +EV to study/practice with some of those things as opposed to only studing poker. Thoughts?

SumZero
06-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Poker is probably the best thing to study to get better at poker. But games that a number of people seem to suggest help with poker include:

- Bridge

- Chess

- Backgammon

- Magic (the card game, not magic tricks - although I suppose magic tricks might help for misdirection, chip tricks, and cheaters)

bigjohnn
06-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Although not specifically a "game", you should definately think about looking into Game Theory. Testament to it's usefulness is the fact that WSOP champ Chris "Jesus" Ferguson cites it as a key component of his game.

The best game theory text I've found which includes some discussion of poker is "Fun and Games" by Ken Binmore. A more general, and quite comprehensive, guide to game theory can be found in "Microeconomic Analysis" by Mas-Colell et al, although it is rather mathematical.

RiverDood
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I'd argue for distance running . . . distance swimming . . . long strenuous hikes . . . or protracted sessions on StairMaster, etc.

All of them build stamina and teach patience and pacing. That's vital in tournaments or even long-running limit games. It does a lot to help your equanimity after a couple bad beats or a long stretch of unplayable/borderline cards. It improves your willpower for bubble play, short-stacked, etc.

It also reduces your chance of dying from a heart attack at the table -- which will really ruin your returns from the game forevermore.

BruceZ
06-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Downhill skiing. It will teach you to set aside your fear, and to trust in your knowledge and skill. The correct actions are often counterintuitive, but you learn that if you hesitate out of fear, and revert to what intuitively feels safe, you will actually be in more danger and will probably fall. Just as in poker, the key to success is controlled aggression. You will learn to maintain a dynamic balance, and to adapt to ever changing conditions. Later you can learn to ski moguls, which will teach you to plan ahead, recognize patterns, and execute your plan.

TomCollins
06-28-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Downhill skiing. It will teach you to set aside your fear, and to trust in your knowledge and skill. The correct actions are often counterintuitive, but you learn that if you hesitate out of fear, and revert to what intuitively feels safe, you will actually be in more danger and will probably fall. Just as in poker, the key to success is controlled aggression. You will learn to maintain a dynamic balance, and to adapt to ever changing conditions. Later you can learn to ski moguls, which will teach you to plan ahead, recognize patterns, and execute your plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Moguls just taught me to appreciate my knees.

Cyrus
06-28-2005, 10:26 AM
People reading : Mentalism.

Patience : Angle fishing.

Poker face : Standing guard at the Buckingham Palace.

Mathematical calculations : ST in 21 w/NRS.

Controlled aggressiveness : Titty bar bouncer assistant.

Mastering Risk of Ruin : Bungee jumping.

...Only half-serious.