PDA

View Full Version : wedding gift idea needed

lucas9000
06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
a good friend of mine is getting married soon and i need to figure out what to get him and his wife as a wedding gift. we've been friends for a while, so if i just had to get something for him it would be easy. but, i don't know her all that well, so i'm kind of clueless. they're both around my age (26/27), fwiw. any ideas? i don't want to do cash because that's kind of lame.

edit: yes, i know i'm an unimaginative douche.

CollinEstes
06-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Nice Decanter is always good. Or just shop on the registry.

lucas9000
06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually rely on the registry, but they don't have one /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Steak knives are always solid.

For real, though, don't be afraid to get something that's mostly for him. All the other [censored] ends up being for the woman anyway and he deserves to get something he wants too.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 10:55 AM
this is why they have wedding registries. just ask where they're registered.

edit: no registry? who the hell doesn't register? why bother getting married?

chaas4747
06-27-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually rely on the registry, but they don't have one /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If they like to camp, camping equipment is a neat idea. It make a nice gift and they a can enjoy it together.

dcasper70
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
CASH IS KING

IndieMatty
06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
they want cash

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they want cash

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is correct if they didn't register.

CollinEstes
06-27-2005, 12:24 PM
You should tell them if they want cash just to register at BedBath&Beyond. All your gifts can be returned for cash. I got about 500 bucks in hand when it was all said and done.

I agree with what someone said about buying something for him becuase she is going to get 99 percent of the other gifts. If he likes to grill you could get him some really nice grilling tools. I have seen some stainless ones in a little silver briefcase that were pretty sweet.

Rick Diesel
06-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Get a picnic basket and fill it up with some expensive bottles of wine. A picnic basket is something that everyone would like to have, but nobody really ever thinks to buy.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Did you ask them about a registry? Maybe they just haven't done it yet.

Then, if they say they don't have one, why not ask them what they want?

If they shrug that off too, sounds like they're not too into gifts, so maybe donate to their fav charity or offer to contribute towards the honeymoon.

swede123
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Patrick is right on here. The wedding is 99.94% about the girl, and when it comes to the presents that percentage stays about the same. If your buddy is into wood-working maybe get him a set of cordless tools. This is the type of gift that he'll really end up using for many years to come and not just another stupid piece of decoration bullshit (i.e. Decanter) that will end up wasting space 99% of the time.

Swede

bosoxfan
06-27-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get a picnic basket and fill it up with some expensive bottles of wine. A picnic basket is something that everyone would like to have, but nobody really ever thinks to buy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I got 2 picnic baskets for our wedding. We have used them a grand total of zero times. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

lucas9000
06-27-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
they want cash

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure this is correct if they didn't register.

[/ QUOTE ]

he has specifically said they don't want cash.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he has specifically said they don't want cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

then i tell him, if he's too lazy to register, i'm too lazy to shop.

Phil Van Sexton
06-27-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Patrick is right on here. The wedding is 99.94% about the girl, and when it comes to the presents that percentage stays about the same. If your buddy is into wood-working maybe get him a set of cordless tools. This is the type of gift that he'll really end up using for many years to come and not just another stupid piece of decoration bullshit (i.e. Decanter) that will end up wasting space 99% of the time.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you don't know the bride well, I'd be concerned that you will be labeled as "the guy who gave me a cordless drill for my wedding" forever. Meanwhile, your buddy will forget within 2 days where that drill came from.

There's a reason the wedding is 99% about the bride. It's doesn't have to make sense, it just is.

poker-penguin
06-27-2005, 01:36 PM
I gave my brother and his wife a voucher for a weekend at a mid level hotel a couple hours away. "Use this whenever you want, for whatever reason, because you will need couple time in the next year".

Another original present is a bottle of champagne, a white, and a red.

"The champagne is for when you get back from the honeymoon to celebrate the start of your lives together, the white is a young wine for your fist aniversary, the red will mature, like your relationship, and is for your fifth wedding aniversary." It was part of a speech, and there were some nice metaphors in there and stuff that I've forgotten because I'm not in danger of getting married any time soon. I think it's a good idea though.

wayabvpar
06-27-2005, 01:38 PM
If they refuse to register and don't want cash, I would buy them a very nice bottle of wine- preferably something that will be ready to drink near their first anniversary. Make sure to include care and feeding instructions so they don't ruin it before then, however.