PDA

View Full Version : On the bubble w/ dead stack

Ixnert
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
From a Party 20+2 last night:

Blinds at 100/200, stacks as follows:

1400 (Hero)

At about the beginning of the 100/200 blind level, the 800 stack timed out, and after a few minutes, it became clear that he very likely wasn't coming back.

The 4000 had been calling huge raises with trash the whole time, and had been catching his 3 and 4 outers to build his stack.

So, given that (1) I could fold into the money with almost 100% certainty, and (2) I expected to have to play almost any hand that I entered the pot with (virtually zero FE), it seemed pretty obvious that I should tighten up.

The real question was: how much? If I simply folded every hand, I'd have about 600 chips once the small stack was gone, and virtually no chance at anything but third. I suspect I tightened up too much (I never saw any truly premium hands, but I did fold AQs a couple times, along with mid-high pairs, TT and 99 at least once each, hands that I'd easily play 4-handed normally), but how would I go about figuring out what would have been correct to play in a situation like this?

45suited
06-27-2005, 10:24 AM
My advice would be to grow a set and at least push TT here. Why be so content to get blinded into 3rd? Are you really going to be unhappy if the big stack calls you with junk as you say he'd been doing?

Remember, 1st pays 2.5 times what 3rd does. If you're folding TT in what is essentially a 3 handed game, that is ungodly weak, IMO.

jcm4ccc
06-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I think it depends on your position relative to the big stack and medium stack. The medium stack is probably playing it safe, also. If you have some opportunities to push into the medium stack without involving the big stack, you might want to do it. You have significant FE with the medium stack--he wouldn't want to lose an all-in to you and end up with even less chips than the small stack. For example, if I have TT or AQs in the SB, the medium stack is in the BB, and the big stack has already folded, then I am pushing. I might even push with a lot less, depending on how I felt the medium stack was playing. One or two pushes and you are even with him.

However, if the Big Stack is pushing you guys around, there's not much you can (or should) do.

45suited
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
I think that the OP was saying that big stack was more calling raises than actually bullying the table.

I'd be interested in your opinion on this one, jcm4ccc: If you were UTG with TT (big stack in BB), would you push with TT here? Maybe it's a leak, but I certainly would.

jcm4ccc
06-27-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in your opinion on this one, jcm4ccc: If you were UTG with TT (big stack in BB), would you push with TT here? Maybe it's a leak, but I certainly would.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG, I am folding TT. Generally, I agree with not folding into third place. But in this situation, I am okay with it. If you are called by the Big Stack (apparently a big possibility), it is almost certainly a coin flip.

Of course, it's always possible that the dead stack will come back to life. Then I'll be sorry that I didn't push the TT.

Ixnert
06-27-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that the OP was saying that big stack was more calling raises than actually bullying the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have been more specific about this. The big stack was calling the blinds from UTG most of the time when I was on the button, so there were very few situations when I had a clear shot at the middle stack without the (apparently crazy) big stack still in the hand. He wasn't so much bullying, just calling virtually everything.

45suited
06-27-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The 4000 had been calling huge raises with trash the whole time

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I would push with TT UTG. It sure would suck to fold here and then have the short-stack come back to the game and double up.

Plus, given the payout structure, I think I'd have to gamboool. But of course, I might just be an idiot.

RobGW
06-27-2005, 11:22 AM
If he limps UTG everytime I am pushing with TT, 99, and maybe AQ. If he wants to give me his big stack then I must oblige him. Also, you still have room for a call. If villian is not bullying why not call and see a flop with AQ. If you hit then push the rest in. If you miss fold and still have $1200 and still be able to fold into 3rd. At least if you hit now you can get back into the match.

HesseJam
06-27-2005, 11:41 AM
This gave me another idea: Maybe it's a good strategy, when you are the small stack and can afford one round of blinds going through you and you get bad cards that you play dead hoping that you get two all-ins the next round when you are in the BB with hopefully better starting hands?