PDA

View Full Version : Singapore

college_boy
06-27-2005, 04:57 AM
This week I'm going to be traveling India and have 24 hours in Singapore both ways. I'll be traveling by myself on the way there and in a group on the way back. For those of you who have spent time there; are there any places I should go or things I have to see? Is it safe for an American to wander the streets alone? If you have any suggestions on stuff to see in southern India that would be cool too.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 07:48 AM
There was actually a thread here on this in the last week. Try the search function.

KaneKungFu123
06-27-2005, 07:58 AM
At the airport you can hire a body guard for about $50 USD/day. Singapore is a nice place, but its one of the most dangerous place for Americans on the globe. They have a saying in Singapre, "Steal his wallet, behead him, air in it arab TV".

[ QUOTE ]
This week I'm going to be traveling India and have 24 hours in Singapore both ways. I'll be traveling by myself on the way there and in a group on the way back. For those of you who have spent time there; are there any places I should go or things I have to see? Is it safe for an American to wander the streets alone? If you have any suggestions on stuff to see in southern India that would be cool too.

[/ QUOTE ]

junkmail3
06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Singapore is a nice place, but its one of the most dangerous place for Americans on the globe.

[/ QUOTE ]

???? I was there last year with my wife and a few other people ... Several times my wife and I wandered the city alone. I never once felt threatened.

pmuir10
06-27-2005, 10:06 AM
i think he was joking, singapore is quite safe.

to the OP, you probably wanna check out Orchard Road and the area around there.

BreakfastBurrito
06-27-2005, 10:29 AM
As far as southern India, Mahaballipuram may be worth checking out, otherwise, just prepare to get very sick.

TheWorstPlayer
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you probably wanna check out Orchard [b]Towers[b/] and the area around there.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

slickpoppa
06-27-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CRIME INFORMATION: Major crimes against tourists in Singapore are uncommon. Petty crimes such as pick pocketing and purse or briefcase snatching occur in tourist areas, hotels and at the airport. Travelers should exercise the same caution that they would in any large city. The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If you are the victim of a crime while overseas, in addition to reporting to local police, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance. The Embassy/Consulate staff can, for example, help you find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends and explain how funds could be transferred. Although the investigation and prosecution of the crime is solely the responsibility of local authorities, consular officers can help you to understand the local criminal justice process and to find an attorney if needed.

[/ QUOTE ] link (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1017.html)

pmuir10
06-27-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you probably wanna check out Orchard [b]Towers[b/] and the area around there.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yea that too

KaneKungFu123
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Singapore is a nice place, but its one of the most dangerous place for Americans on the globe.

[/ QUOTE ]

???? I was there last year with my wife and a few other people ... Several times my wife and I wandered the city alone. I never once felt threatened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was joking. Singapore is one of the safest places in the world. There is more crime in the average Elementry School in the States.

groo
06-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Check out the food. Singapore is Asia's melting pot and the different types of Asian food are great. I thought it was cool to wander the shopping district (Orchard Street I think) and look at the $250,000 Rolex watches in the windows.

As far as violence goes, if you wander into the Muslim section you'll probably get your ass pinched....shake it off and keep going, the offender will be laughing.

PokerCat69
06-27-2005, 06:10 PM
A friend of mine went to Singapore and he came back with some stomach problems. 2 weeks after his trip his stomach still had problems, so he went to the Doctor and found out he had some parasites and needed this harsh bleach type chemical to kill them. This guy was Asian himself and travels to China alot so he's used to similar foods.

mason55
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
They have really really good drugs there. Most of the people smoke weed every day, just ask around.

TheWorstPlayer
06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
In all seriousness, just go to Orchard Road and walk around. The Paragon mall is great. The littler, more Asian, malls are also fun to walk around and haggle. Also, as I mentioned to KKF, the botanical gardens are very nice and if you happen to be there for the changing of the guard that is also well worth seeing (although it only happens once per month, I believe).

jcx
06-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Have a Singapore Sling at The Long Bar in the Raffles Hotel. Touristy, but worth it to pretend you are Somerset Maugham for a few minutes.

If you are at all interested in the history of SG, check out the Images of Singapore museum on Sentosa Island. A cool way to get there is to take a cab to Mt Faber and ride a cable car across to the island. Great views of the harbor. After checking out the museum I'd cab it back to the main island as most of the rest of Sentosa is pretty dull.

Definitely visit a food hawker center - Newton Circus is one of the biggest but they can be found in the basement of virtually every department store. The national pastimes of SG are shopping and eating and you'll soon see why. For lunch I used to particularly love Bread Talk - God I wish we had them in the states. Unlike most places in Asia, you don't have to worry about food quality as the health dept is quite strict.

For nightlife the Boat Quay is a good place to check out. If you're not into nightclubbing the night safari at the zoo is pretty unique. You likely won't have time for all of these activities but I found them interesting when I was there. Have a good trip.