PDA

View Full Version : High Roller (Stu U Movie) Question

108suited
06-27-2005, 04:57 AM
So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much. The acting was good, it had some cool original music, and the story was good. Also, I happen to have the 1997 Final Table on VHS, and I rewatched it after the movie. That added to the movie expereince for me. And, I found that in the movie, Michael I. looked a lot like Stuey with the sunglasses on. I also have one of the other years that he won the WSOP on tape and enjoyed it also. Might watch it again later tonight (have not watched the old one in a few months)

Question:
Who is the guy that Stuey is talking to in the movie? I mean the guy that he tells his "story" too. That was a key part of the movie since Stuey was trying to guess who he was.

Other comments such as how you liked or disliked the movie also welcome.

lastsamurai
06-27-2005, 05:27 AM
i think he was talking to DEATH.

sexdrugsmoney
06-27-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie sucked hogs anus.

Don't get me wrong, for a TV movie it's watchable, and I'm a Michael Imperioli fan, but whoever made this should be disappointed in themselves for not being faithful to the truth.

If you read some stories about Stu Unger, he led an incredibly interesting life, with many of those stories revolving around Cocaine ... everything from his nose collapsing to spending weeks in hotel rooms doing so much coke he was incoherant.

This movie spent too much time focusing on Stu's childhood, as if to warn the viewer "hey, this is the reason he goes off the rails later" but then never addresses his later Cocaine habit, only merely touching upon it in a G rated sort of way.

I'm guessing this was a decision based on sympathy to the Ungar family, but fair suck of the sav, the guy is dead and a good movie should show his greatest achievements AND his greatest weaknesses.

pfff.

Stellastarr
06-27-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I've watched this movie 3 times now. I enjoyed it very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this movie sucked hogs anus.

Don't get me wrong, for a TV movie it's watchable, and I'm a Michael Imperioli fan, but whoever made this should be disappointed in themselves for not being faithful to the truth.

If you read some stories about Stu Unger, he led an incredibly interesting life, with many of those stories revolving around Cocaine ... everything from his nose collapsing to spending weeks in hotel rooms doing so much coke he was incoherant.

This movie spent too much time focusing on Stu's childhood, as if to warn the viewer "hey, this is the reason he goes off the rails later" but then never addresses his later Cocaine habit, only merely touching upon it in a G rated sort of way.

I'm guessing this was a decision based on sympathy to the Ungar family, but fair suck of the sav, the guy is dead and a good movie should show his greatest achievements AND his greatest weaknesses.

pfff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this is fitting seeing your screen name. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Skeme-
06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
He was talking to Death. How did you not get this?

CollinEstes
06-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Been a month or two since I saw it but I believe that he was dieing in the end and the person he was speaking too was his old friend/ father figure from New York. Forgot his name. Since he was dead I believe he was speaking to him in his imagination as his life was "flashing" before his eyes. Just an idea not sure if it is right.

MoreWineII
06-27-2005, 12:49 PM
I didn't care for the movie. Too much babbling, not enough about a.) poker and b.) his drug habit.

irish79
06-27-2005, 06:10 PM
I thought it was Death, or the Devil.

irish79
06-27-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't care for the movie. Too much babbling, not enough about a.) poker and b.) his drug habit

[/ QUOTE ]
couldn't agree more!

Jordan Olsommer
06-27-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought this movie sucked hogs anus sitting on a windowsill in Vegas in a bowl of expired mayonnaise.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

PairTheBoard
06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
I liked it.

PairTheBoard

youtalkfunny
06-28-2005, 03:51 AM
I liked it. Editing and sound weren't exactly top-notch, but who cares? Though I should admit that I like everything Michael I. does.

wonderwes
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Mr. Migayi from Karate Kid is Bob Stupak? Did anyone have a tough time relating to that. I do wish they showed a more indepth life about his drug habbit and his meltdown. I did like the ending though.

Jgents
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
He was talking to the now deceased--and in the afterlife--mafioso guy who was like his father.

dan123
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
i dint see the movie, but have read up a lot on stu ungar. the only he could do welkl was play poker and that was perfectly ok with him o/c. i thought that to be an interesdting thing

Daliman
06-29-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Migayi from Karate Kid is Bob Stupak? Did anyone have a tough time relating to that. I do wish they showed a more indepth life about his drug habbit and his meltdown. I did like the ending though.

[/ QUOTE ]

MR miyagi was NOT Stupak in the movie. He was a combination of an actual top gin player called Leo the Jap and stupak, sorta. The movie took many artistic licenses which I did not care for.

dibbs
06-29-2005, 05:59 AM
That guy was the icy cold hand of death.

I was dissapointed, and I didn't have high expectations. I've always been interested in Unger and I'm a big Imperioli fan so I peeped it, eh. I thought it was funny they had Baccalieri in it. Oh yea and the cameo by VVP was funny although corny. The love story was obviously tacked on, not awful, not great. The Holdem part I thought was horribly done, it seemed just like it was a weak attempt at the rounders scene, that 72 to KK hand was stupid and they should have shown unger actually play a hand or raising like a mad man and talking crap at the table.

I had this feeling they wouldnt do anything on gin as it isnt too popular now, at least they did that.

Daliman
06-29-2005, 09:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That guy was the icy cold hand of death.

I was dissapointed, and I didn't have high expectations. I've always been interested in Unger and I'm a big Imperioli fan so I peeped it, eh. I thought it was funny they had Baccalieri in it. Oh yea and the cameo by VVP was funny although corny. The love story was obviously tacked on, not awful, not great. The Holdem part I thought was horribly done, it seemed just like it was a weak attempt at the rounders scene, that 72 to KK hand was stupid and they should have shown unger actually play a hand or raising like a mad man and talking crap at the table.

I had this feeling they wouldnt do anything on gin as it isnt too popular now, at least they did that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think the 72 vs KK hand was brilliant, and it is based on a hand Jack Straus played very similarly. I'm sure you understand the psychology of the hand.