PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Chan going for 10th bracelet, Hellmuth contemplating suicide

Daffy
06-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Chan is second in chips at final table of $2500 pot limit holdem.

Russ McGinley
06-27-2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks for registering to tell us this. I predict a Hellmuth run-in, HHH style.

ed8383
06-27-2005, 02:24 AM
He won't win it. There won't be a 10th bracelet winner this year that is my prediction!

illab
06-27-2005, 03:33 AM
Chan just doubled up on Kassela when Chan's queens cracked Kassela's Aces, hes the chip leader now.

1 Johnny Chan $ 635,000
2 Phil Laak $ 265,000
3 Richard Osborne $ 160,000

homicide
06-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Go Johnny!

I'd love nothing more than to see him win his 10th bracelet just so we can see how Hellmuth responds when asked about it.

Howard Treesong
06-27-2005, 03:42 AM
I really, really wish Chan were wearing a JOPKE hat.

Army Eye
06-27-2005, 03:53 AM
ESPN must be sick about this

Rocaix
06-27-2005, 03:59 AM
It's heads up between Laak and Chan now

grass
06-27-2005, 04:18 AM
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The T.A.
06-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Brunson is near the top of the heap in the 5K PLO event, too. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Brunson scored a 10th bracelet...

Popinjay
06-27-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Brunson is near the top of the heap in the 5K PLO event, too. Wouldn't it be a hoot if Brunson scored a 10th bracelet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure know I'd be hooting!

illab
06-27-2005, 06:00 AM
He did it, final hand Chan has QQ hold up versus Laak's KJ. 1st ten bracelet winner in WSOP history

pryor15
06-27-2005, 06:00 AM
that sound you hear is phil going crazy.

congrats to johnny

ToledoTommy
06-27-2005, 06:27 AM
I followed the results on Cardplayer, this has good tv written all over it.

parkerren
06-27-2005, 06:44 AM
. Maybe with the presure to be the first ten bracelet winner NO LONGER on Mr Hellmouth, MAYBE Mr Hellmouth can concentrate on playing poker.

Yuv
06-27-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has "five ESPN executive fired yesterday" written all over it. ESPN didn't film this event. Great decision, no doubt.

BlackAces
06-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Phil is in 3rd place there, too.

I'd love to see Phil lose to Doyle heads-up for the 10th bracelet, just to see Phil have to pretend to be gracious when all he really wants to do is melt down into another f-bomb-laced tirade.

Ryner
06-27-2005, 07:45 AM
What is wrong with this guys brain?

stinkypete
06-27-2005, 08:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has "five ESPN executive fired yesterday" written all over it. ESPN didn't film this event. Great decision, no doubt.

[/ QUOTE ]

if ESPN had filmed this event, the dealers would have shuffled the cards differently...

RowdyZ
06-27-2005, 08:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He won't win it. There won't be a 10th bracelet winner this year that is my prediction!

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me guess you bet on the Pistons this year didn't you? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

duma
06-27-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Final Table Preparations
Log: ESPN has prepped the final table for Johnny Chan and Phil Laak to battle heads-up for the bracelet. Play will be resuming soon.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And how hard can it be to set up a couple of cameras when you see Chan going for #10?

Jordan Olsommer
06-27-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

that sound you hear is phil going crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else think he was cognizant of that possibility all along?

http://img117.echo.cx/img117/7428/20050626930325tl.jpg

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Nice hat, Johnny!

[ QUOTE ]
http://img117.echo.cx/img117/7428/20050626930325tl.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

ononimo
06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice hat, Johnny!

[/ QUOTE ]

or Nice Photoshopping, Jordan!

d1sterbd
06-27-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be great if Doyle won a bracelet this year... Phil is always bragging about his 9 bracelets.

MegaBet
06-27-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice prediction! Well done Johnny - awesome result.

Also, did anyone notice that our own Gigabet was 13th? Shouts out to him too!

BadVoodooX
06-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Are you joking? ESPN would love to have Phil's crying on camera.

Zetack
06-27-2005, 01:23 PM
This is from Paul Phillips blog: Link (http://extempore.livejournal.com/)

[ QUOTE ]

I am awed that I lived to see this day.

Late last night, Johnny Chan won his TENTH world series of poker bracelet.

TEN BRACELETS!

I know there are quite a few players with single digit bracelet counts, but all you can feel toward those people is pity. There is Johnny Chan and his DOUBLE DIGIT bracelet count, and then there is the crowded tie for second among everyone else and their pathetic single digit counts. The poker world now falls into only two meaningful categories: one great poker player with TEN BRACELETS and the bevy of also-rans.

Perhaps someday another will have ten bracelets, but who could possibly care at that point? All we'll be able to think about that is "Welcome to June 2005, Mr. Johnny-Chan-Come-Lately!"

Johnny [censored] Chan and his ten bracelets. Wow. I tip my cap and I tip it again. AWESOME.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if he'd have posted this if it had been Phil H.

--Zetack

TheMainEvent
06-27-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go even further than that. I doubt that he would have posted it with the same wording if Phil H wasn't tied for second.

Rushmore
06-27-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd go even further than that. I doubt that he would have posted it with the same wording if Phil H wasn't tied for second.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go you one better, and say that I would bet good money that the only reason for this post was indeed the fact that Hellmuth has nine.

Not to say that Phillips is not impressed by Chan's feat (who wouldn't be?); just that the entire blog entry was essentially a dig at Hellmuth. Also, I don't think it was intended to be mean spirited, just more of the relatively good-natured back and forth.

I do not intend to be overly presumptuous, it's just how I read the entire situation.

cwsiggy
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
I don't think everyone else is an also ran with only 9 or 8 or 7 bracelets. There really is not much of a gap frankly and it is clearly a dig at Hellmuth.

Paul Phillips
06-27-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg

Zetack
06-27-2005, 02:15 PM
I have to admit, if Phil ever wins a couple and vaults back into the lead, he's gonna sound a little silly bragging about it:

"Eleven bracelets. That's right--eleven. The only player in the world with eleven. ELEVEN!!!......I have eleven!

Just doesn't have the same ring to it as 10.

--Zetack

SossMan
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
http://lightsout.onestop.net/noose.jpg

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 02:44 PM
HaHaHaHaHa!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheMainEvent
06-27-2005, 02:45 PM
At least I get to ride a surfboard, apparently.

cwsiggy
06-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Is it just me or does Paul seem very angry lately. "bucket of cocks" "captain obvious" etc. Go back on vacation Paul. You have been replaced by better poker players - Jen Tilley, Liz Lieu, the dude who had a three minute 7 stud lesson, and that ex tennis guy. (just kidding)

Klepton
06-27-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it just me or does Paul seem very angry lately. "bucket of cocks" "captain obvious" etc. Go back on vacation Paul. You have been replaced by better poker players - Jen Tilley, Liz Lieu, the dude who had a three minute 7 stud lesson, and that ex tennis guy. (just kidding)

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, although this is gonna sound like a giant fellatio post, i enjoy the fact that paul phillips looked around for a funny image and posted it up and everything, i didn't even notice it was paul philips. i thought it was a random ZOO poster.

it's not like he posted "i've got lots of money, you don't." he only attacked the guys ineptness at obviousness.

wayabvpar
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, although this is gonna sound like a giant fellatio post, i enjoy the fact that paul phillips looked around for a funny image and posted it up and everything, i didn't even notice it was paul philips. i thought it was a random ZOO poster.

it's not like he posted "i've got lots of money, you don't." he only attacked the guys ineptness at obviousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point- I had to scroll back up to realize it was Paul.

He may be a little cranky these days- having a new baby does bad things to sleep patterns, or so I have been told.

burningyen
06-27-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit, if Phil ever wins a couple and vaults back into the lead, he's gonna sound a little silly bragging about it:

"Eleven bracelets. That's right--eleven. The only player in the world with eleven. ELEVEN!!!......I have eleven!

Just doesn't have the same ring to it as 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Second time I get to use this today:
http://www.londonpostcard.co.uk/images/st/st5866.jpg

flo
06-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Don't read this garbage, do something usefull!

autobet
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't read this garbage, do something usefull!

[/ QUOTE ]
Like work?

whiskeytown
06-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Chan rocks -

I was so much more impressed with the way he handled himself during the Poker Superstars final then I was with Gus.

To come back from a chip deficit like what he had, and to make it to 2nd - and some of those hands, like the heads up vs. Gus where he coulda dumped it all on a smaller st8 and didn't just impressed the hell out of me.

RB