PDA

View Full Version : Best Sitcom -- Round of 16

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Here are the matchups:

tbach24
06-27-2005, 12:20 AM
I went all top seed except for Cheers vs. The Office. Wow, whoever else responded went exactly the opposite except on the Married w/ Children one.

Voltron87
06-27-2005, 12:24 AM
all top seeds, except curb your enthusiasm which was a 8/9 battle and the office.

imo the office deserved a higher seed, but thats the point isnt it. otherwise looks well done.

sam h
06-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Anybody voting for Married with Children over News Radio (looks like most of you guys) needs to get their head, and their sense of humor, examined.

tbach24
06-27-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody voting for Married with Children over News Radio (looks like most of you guys) needs to get their head, and their sense of humor, examined.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what News Radio is.

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a very difficult choice, but I think MWC is slightly funnier.

mike l.
06-27-2005, 12:32 AM
you guys are selling news radio short. married with children is a classic but news radio edges it out, almost solely on the amazingness of the late phil hartman.

Clarkmeister
06-27-2005, 12:32 AM
Same with AD over Cosby.

The All in the Family, Taxi and MASH seedings are embarassing.

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 12:33 AM
I've never seen Arrested Development.

From the looks of things, I must be missing out. What night is it on?

sam h
06-27-2005, 12:35 AM
MASH at 15 is especially ludicrous. That show was the gold standard for sitcom comedy for so long. It should be top 4 at least.

ClaytonN
06-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Futurama is about to get raped.

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 12:37 AM
That's not the way the voting went down in the seeding thread.

My feeling is that a lot of youngsters voted who have never seen M*A*S*H.

goofball
06-27-2005, 12:37 AM
simpsons vs. mash sucks. How many of you have actually watched a lot of that show? (mash)

anyway, i voted:
seinfeld
mash
cheers
family guy
newsradio
cosby show
frasier
fresh prince of bel-air

CallMeIshmael
06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What night is it on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Arrested Development is two things:

1) The best sitcom currently on TV (daily show destroys, however)

2) COMPLETELY impossible to just walk in on. You really have to see it from the start, IMO.

Get the DVDs. You'll love it.

Voltron87
06-27-2005, 12:38 AM
I think the problem with this poll will be the age gap. This board is full of 18-25s who watch family guy, arrested development and those shows, but cheers, mash, all unseen. maybe a "90s and after sitcoms", "80s and earlier", etc, because mash stepping into the ring against family is just not a fair fight in this forum. family guy is carry a machine gun and mash has a butter knife.

goofball
06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
yes, but the cosby show has one of the funniest men ever in a sitcom.

Clarkmeister
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with this poll will be the age gap. This board is full of 18-25s who watch family guy, arrested development and those shows, but cheers, mash, all unseen. maybe a "90s and after sitcoms", "80s and earlier

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good idea.

BWebb
06-27-2005, 12:42 AM
AD v. Cosby is the toughest by far. I went with some upsets: Newsradio, Fraiser, Curb and Cosby. AD is great, but Cosby is one of my all time favorites.

CallMeIshmael
[ QUOTE ]
yes, but the cosby show has one of the funniest men ever in a sitcom.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I've given it a shot, and didnt find it all that funny.

I also wasnt that fond of all in the family.

Just to prove its not solely based on age: Mash is awesome. Cheers and Night Court (a little more modern, but still a bit before my time) are also great.

MEbenhoe
[ QUOTE ]
Same with AD over Cosby.

The All in the Family, Taxi and MASH seedings are embarassing.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did AD get seeded higher than the cosby show? How is the cosby show only an 11 seed? How the hell is the cosby show not blowing out AD? In case you haven't gotten it yet comparing the Cosby Show to Arrested Development is like comparing a Picasso to something Frank the garbage man drew in his spare time.

p.s. I'm 20 and I'm saying this. I guess the rest of you guys my age are just unable to realize that Bill Cosby may be the single funniest man ever.

CallMeIshmael
BWebb, can I assume you went with the office?

tbach24
06-27-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[/1) The best sitcom currently on TV (daily show destroys, however)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Family Guy get taken off the air after their horrendous showing tonight?

CallMeIshmael
06-27-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did Family Guy get taken off the air after their horrendous showing tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Family guy in its prime is a slight dog to AD.

Family guy RIGHT NOW isnt fit to hold AD's piss bucket.

(I think Im posting tomrorow about the downfall of FG)

BWebb
06-27-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BWebb, can I assume you went with the office?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can.

tbach24
06-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa

Lois this isn't my Batman glass.

MrWookie47
06-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Man, picking between the Cosby Show and Arrested Development was awfully tough. I've never seen News Radio, but anything has to be better than Married with Children.

private joker
06-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Somehow I missed the earlier rounds. Can anyone fill me in as to what seeds Sports Night, Scrubs, and Three's Company were, and why in holy hell they aren't around anymore?

sexdrugsmoney
06-27-2005, 01:14 AM
I question whether those that voted against The Office (UK version) have ever watched the show properly.

Don't get me wrong, I know Cheers is a classic and both shows have equally well fleshed out characters and are funny, but IMHO The Office (UK) shits over Cheers.

Ricky Gervais is a genius.

GuyOnTilt
06-27-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I HATE Married with Children. How is any part of that show funny at all? News Radio was awesome.

GoT

CallMeIshmael
06-27-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I question whether those that voted against The Office (UK version) have ever watched the show properly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact the office even made it this far, given that it is the only show on this list to never air on a major US network, is a testament to how great of a show it really was.

goofball
06-27-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen News Radio, but anything has to be better than Married with Children.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen infomercials better than Married with Children.

imported_CaseClosed326
06-27-2005, 01:34 AM
To be honest, I have seen all of the shows that people would complain about a 19 year old not seeing. Such as I really enjoy watching MASH, and Cosby Show, but Seinfield is my number 1 and will vote for it the entire way. I am still rooting for fresh prince and new radio (man I loved that show I to get onto the next round.

sexdrugsmoney
06-27-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I question whether those that voted against The Office (UK version) have ever watched the show properly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact the office even made it this far, given that it is the only show on this list to never air on a major US network, is a testament to how great of a show it really was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good answer.

(Still going to pout if it doesn't beat Cheers though) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[censored]
06-27-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I question whether those that voted against The Office (UK version) have ever watched the show properly.

Don't get me wrong, I know Cheers is a classic and both shows have equally well fleshed out characters and are funny, but IMHO The Office (UK) shits over Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I watched and liked The Office alot but in no way was it close to Cheers. 2 great seasons can only go so far.

sexdrugsmoney
06-27-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I watched and liked The Office alot but in no way was it close to Cheers. 2 great seasons can only go so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a Christmas Special also. (remember Brent's 'single'?) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

slamdunkpro
06-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Wow, I guess I’m really a foggey but I can’t take the poll because….

Seinfeld was just stupid.
MASH was great in its day until Wayne Rogers left – then it got all preachy and touchy feely and started blowing chunks
All in the Family was mean and un-funny
The Simpsons sucked at first got really good for 4 years and is on its way down hill
Married with Children was great and edgy for it’s time but went down hill when Katie Segal was pregnant the second time and when Seven was introduced.
Cheers was boring
The Office is pretty good
Family Guy was either hysterical or lame or both at the same time depending on the episode. They are trying too hard on the new ones.
Saved by the Bell – was a SitCom? Really?
Newsradio – Never saw it
Arrested Development – watched the first one half way through – changed channels
The Cosby show – same as MASH – good at first then got preachy
Futurama – Occasionally funny
Frasier - Kill whoever put that on the air
The Fresh Prince of Bel Air – Funny but dated
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Never heard of it

TimTimSalabim
06-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Fresh Prince is beating CYE? You've got to be kidding me. Invalidates the whole poll, IMO.

tbach24
06-27-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fresh Prince is beating CYE? You've got to be kidding me. Invalidates the whole poll, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe I voted FP over CYE.

To the OP: Would it be cheating if I used my other 2 accounts to switch it back to the CYE +1?

imported_CaseClosed326
06-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Do you like anything?

Benholio
06-27-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP: Would it be cheating if I used my other 2 accounts to switch it back to the CYE +1?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.. since I'm going to create 15 accounts to boost Futurama.

Frasier... phhbt!

tbach24
06-27-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure.. since I'm going to create 15 accounts to boost Futurama.

Frasier... phhbt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Futurama is such an awesome show.

SmileyEH
06-27-2005, 02:44 AM
It will be a very sad day if arrested development doesn't make it past the first round. No one who has seen more than a couple episodes will be able to vote against it - unless they suck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH

shant
06-27-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never seen Arrested Development.

From the looks of things, I must be missing out. What night is it on?

[/ QUOTE ]
Get the DVDs. I came in late on this show, borrowed the first season DVD set from a friend, and I still haven't returned them. I watched the whole season in ten episode blocks. I could not stop watching them. Excellent show.

slamdunkpro
06-27-2005, 03:03 AM
Sure, As I said in my post MASH was good for a while. MWC was good. Fresh Prince was good at the time. Others were Night Court, That 70's show (but you really needed to grow up in the 70's to get some of it), and there are others.

The big issue to me is that a lot if not most Sitcoms stay on the air way too long. You can't tell me that MASH was remotly funny or even a comedy it's last year.

blatz
06-27-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with this poll will be the age gap. This board is full of 18-25s who watch family guy, arrested development and those shows, but cheers, mash, all unseen. maybe a "90s and after sitcoms", "80s and earlier", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 of my top 5 didn't even make the rankings...Taxi, The Jeffersons and WKRP.
Fresh Prince...Saved by the Bell...Futurama, in the top 16? Whippersnappers know nothing.

shant
06-27-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem with this poll will be the age gap. This board is full of 18-25s who watch family guy, arrested development and those shows, but cheers, mash, all unseen. maybe a "90s and after sitcoms", "80s and earlier", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 of my top 5 didn't even make the rankings...Taxi, The Jeffersons and WKRP.
Fresh Prince...Saved by the Bell...Futurama, in the top 16? Whippersnappers know nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
That, or MASH blows in comparison to Seinfeld, etc.

Willluck
06-27-2005, 03:36 AM
I still can't believe that 3rd rock didn't get the cut?

RogerZBT
06-27-2005, 03:41 AM
Saved by the Bell is seeded higher than MASH and All in the Family?

Fresh Prince is seeded in the top half?

Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince are seeded at all?

This poll is a joke.

Jack of Arcades
06-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Fresh Prince is *criminally* underrated.

pryor15
06-27-2005, 04:45 AM
M*A*S*H as a 15 seed is just wrong on every level. they just have to have a home game in the first round.

goofball
06-27-2005, 04:58 AM
MASH, cheers, seinfeld and simpsons (in no order) need to be the top 4 no question.

it's just a survey bias though

Yeti
06-27-2005, 06:38 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised at Frasier's percentage.

I'm horrified at the Fresh Prince's percentage. It's good, but, cmon, CYE rules.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 07:13 AM
How did half this crap get in the poll? Where's Barney Miller? Where's WKRP?

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Post deleted by The Stranger

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 09:41 AM
A) Fix your links.
B) You did the seeding for like a day beginning on a Friday night? Wtf?

partygirluk
06-27-2005, 09:46 AM
(3) Cheers
-
96 62%
(14)T he Office (British version)
-
57 37%

Ridiculous. People shouldn't vote on a match-up unless they have seen both shows.

The Stranger
06-27-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You did the seeding for like a day beginning on a Friday night? Wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Friday afternoon until Sunday night. Aren't the weekends the highest traffic periods around here?

fnord_too
06-27-2005, 10:01 AM
I have read just a few replies, but I will observe they had sit coms before the 70's.

jakethebake
06-27-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have read just a few replies, but I will observe they had sit coms before the 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Andy Griffith was one of the best. I think Don Knotts won like seven Emmys or something.

dabluebery
06-27-2005, 10:28 AM
I cannot believe how bad this poll is. I feel embarrassed by my generation. (I'm 24) At least half of these shows shouldn't make the finals, nevermind win. Fresh Prince? Fresh Prince?

Rob

durron597
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Anyone who picked Married with Children over Newsradio needs to actually watch Newsradio... well... ever.

MWC is not funny.

Wes ManTooth
06-27-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you guys are selling news radio short. married with children is a classic but news radio edges it out, almost solely on the amazingness of the late phil hartman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hartman was amazing on this show, also Stephen Root as the radio station owner was excellent as well.

MoreWineII
06-27-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who picked Married with Children over Newsradio needs to actually watch Newsradio... well... ever.

MWC is not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

btw, shame on you for not inculding classics such as Night Court, Who's the Boss, and Growing Pains. And no Scrubs???

Night Court would win this easily.

Bulldog
06-27-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(3) Cheers
-
96 62%
(14)The Office (British version)
-
57 37%

Ridiculous. People shouldn't vote on a match-up unless they have seen both shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have (I own the complete office series) and I voted for Cheers.
IMHO, 275 great episodes (and 28 Emmys) > 13 amazing episodes.

MarkL444
06-27-2005, 12:19 PM
this crowd is too young, the older sitcoms like MASH have no chance

RogerZBT
06-27-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like the Honeymooners, Gilligan's Island or I Love Lucy? Clearly inferior product.

Skipbidder
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
The seedings surprised me quite a bit. There are shows on this list that I wouldn't have placed in the top 100. Perhaps this is generational. Or, perhaps this poll is a joke. Saved by the Bell? Really? MASH as a 15th seed? Hrmph.

Several older shows merit consideration:

Get Smart and Dick Van Dyke.

A little later, Taxi, The Odd Couple, Barney Miller, The Bob Newhart Show. (My own generational bias comes into play here, since I didn't like I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Honeymooners, or Happy Days.)

A little more recently: Murphy Brown, Wonder Years, Newhart, or Night Court.

If you want to consider British shows, I'd think about Yes Minister or Fawlty Towers. Blackadder would merit consideration if it counts as a sitcom. Red Dwarf probably has insufficiently broad appeal.

End of bitch.

itsmesteve
06-27-2005, 06:45 PM
Totally off topic, but that is the best avatar EVER!

RicktheRuler
06-27-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NewsRadio was for gays. (JK) It did suck though.

Clarkmeister
06-27-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't the weekends the highest traffic periods around here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. There is significantly more traffic during the week.

wonderwes
06-28-2005, 12:07 AM
If we are going on all time sitcoms, there are several shows I was suprised to see on the list, and ones that were not.

http://epguides.com/SanfordandSon/cast.jpg

Sanford & Son

Dominic
06-28-2005, 01:26 AM
this is one weak ass list

i refuse to participate as, Taxi, WKRP, Marry Tyler Moore Show, Soap, The Honeymooners, and the Bob Newhart Show are not on the list.

any list of the greatest sitcoms ever without these shows on them, is invalid.

The Stranger
06-28-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Night Court was nominated, but didn't make it to the round of 16, sadly. I voted for it.

tbach24
06-28-2005, 02:30 AM
I just watched the first 6 episodes of the Office and it's way better than any show on the list other than Family Guy.

WackityWhiz
06-28-2005, 03:21 AM
I plan my day around watching the King of Queens at 5:30 and 10:30

absolutely LOVE that show!!!

HesseJam
06-28-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly Andy Griffith was one of the best. I think Don Knotts won like seven Emmys or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, blatant ommission.

partygirluk
06-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Cheers beating The Office by 2-1! Can't believe 2/3 of OOT have never seen The Office.

treeofwisdom7
06-28-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Man, picking between the Cosby Show and Arrested Development was awfully tough. I've never seen News Radio, but anything has to be better than Married with Children.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOOOoOOO BUNDYS!!!!

AHHHAAAAHHAHAHAHAHHAAAA

Yeti
06-28-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cheers beating The Office by 2-1! Can't believe 2/3 of OOT have never seen The Office.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sick of reading about The Office in OOT. Anyone would think it had come out last week the way people harp on about it.

It's very good. It's not the best program ever. Some guy already gave pretty good reasons why he chose Cheers over it.

niwotyalpi
06-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Where is the love for Saved by the Bell?? Come on.

samjjones
06-28-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where is the love for Saved by the Bell?? Come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

*Cough*I voted for it*Cough*

wonderwes
06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Night Court was nominated, but didn't make it to the round of 16, sadly. I voted for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. That is why this poll is flawed. Does Night Court still replay on A&E? I want to have tivo start to season pass it again.

Paluka
06-28-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this crowd is too young, the older sitcoms like MASH have no chance

[/ QUOTE ]

MASH is getting screwed on its seeding. It just got a vicious matchup.

BottlesOf
06-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Everything looks ok except I can't believe UK Office is losing to CHeers. Esp. when one of two incredibly overrated shows (Futurama and Frasier) has to advance.