PDA

View Full Version : Another great read? or just lame....

Dentist
01-29-2003, 01:14 PM
6-12 Hold 'em

UTG tight solid player raises

I'm in early middle position with AsJs and I call, which was probably a BAD call, but I'll admit I was on a little tilt after getting horrible cards all day.

One other player calls and the blinds fold.

The flop come J 6 2 rainbow (no spades unfortunately).

Early position bets, I raise.
The other player folds.

The raise feels for his chips like he wants to raise, then calls. (i was reading "overpair" hardcore)

The turn comes with an ACE. (i've got top two)

he checks.

I bet

he raises. (at this point I was almost positive he had pocket aces and I'm pretty sure he knew I had ace jack)

I called

river was a blank.

He bet, I called.....

Whaddaya think?
Results to be posted.

bad beetz
01-29-2003, 06:57 PM
His play could just as well indicate AK, which can be created in 8 times as many ways as AA.

If he has AA, and he really put you on AJ, he should have bet the turn so he could have made it three bets

ZManODS
01-29-2003, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a possible weak play. Like nutz said, if he put you on AJ, he would have 3-bet the turn, or even the flop at that point. My guess is he put you on A w/ a good kicker but he was holding AK. He probably saw youre raise on the flop as an isolation semi-bluff-raise. You cant always be afraid of the nutz!

Dentist
01-29-2003, 10:37 PM
The level of thinking in this game is good, but not over the top.

At the end, he (of course) turned over AA
And said right before I turned over my cards - "AJ right?"

On the turn, when I was check-raised and was 90% sure of what he had (I even turned to my neighbor and said 'he's got aces' quietly as I called) I SO wanted to fold my hand and use the EPIC line:

"This is a monster hand, and I'm layin' it down because you've got Ace Ace and I'm drawing dead."

I know NOT to be afraid of the nuts, and I'm frequently not. Although I do make some soft plays when a 3 flush is out I know.

This question was more about my ability to read the hand. The gesture he made on the flop SCREAMED overpair, and I knew that when the ace fell that he wouldn't check-raise ANYTHING but pocket Aces.

My read was MONEY, SUPER MONEY, but I didn't have the sack to trust it.

My knowledge of this player was good enough to know he didn't have Ace/King when he check-raised. In fact, there were only about 6 hands he'd raise from in that position, and after the Ace fell, it was down to ONE - ONE!

In fact, looking back - the only reason he DIDN'T re-raise that flop is because he's the one who's scared of the nuts and thought I just might have JJ and flopped a set.

It was only after the Ace fell that he was no longer scared of that.

I need to trust my freakin' EPIC reads!

This game is tight, but when you're check-raised or re-raised, you have to look very strongly into the reasons why.
And usually it's the nuts.

ZManODS
01-30-2003, 12:18 AM
Wow ive very surprised of that. Tough beat