PDA

View Full Version : Comic Books

BottlesOf
06-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I used to read/collect these in middle school, and I have 2 big boxes of them. Some are older like early amazing spidermans, others are newer. Some are autographed. Most are in excellent shape, a few of the older ones look a little older.

Should I sell these now? Would this be a seller's market? Should I hold on another 5/10 years? I don't neeeed the money, but if they won't noticeably appreciate, I don't see any reason to hold on to them.

tbach24
06-27-2005, 12:09 AM
I don't know about values, but I have a couple Jewish comic books (something like "Super Mensch") that are awesome.

A_C_Slater
06-27-2005, 12:16 AM
I have 3 boxes from around the same period (middle school) mostly Spider man's and Punishers.

What is your earliest Amazing Spider Man?

Some of the earliest ones #1-15 can go for thousands.

Look through a "Wizard" magazine for prices and then expect to get about 1/3 of what's listed in the magazine price guide. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

pokerstudAA
06-27-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some are older like early amazing spidermans, others are newer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had many boxes of these old amazing spidermans. I hawked them all on ebay for big time $$. Scan the cover. Make an ad. Ship in hard photo-mailer. If you are interested in your prices - check ebay - it is the easier place to sell them. Most of my comics we crappy and I sold them in big lots. All the spideys were my best comics. I had almost all of them except those before #6.

wall_st
06-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I had a similar question and one of my roommates was a comic book freak (also worked at a comic store). I ended up bringing my boxes up and he looked through everything. Basically there ended up being several books that were worth something (10 bucks tops). I had spawn #1 and some other stuff, however my roommate explained that the comic book market goes through periods where comics become incredibly popular, during these periods the comics produced during these times becomes much less valuable. Obviously this is basic economics, but as it worked out the books I had saved were during a period where comics were very popular thus the lack of value.

This whole conversation reminds me of the dessert storm trading cards convo in Garden state.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 12:49 AM
LOL I got boxes and boxes of those cards.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 12:51 AM
What worries me is that on e-bay, if someone disagrees with the condition of your book when received, how do you settle it amicably? Or even keep them from keeping your old one and sending you back their worse shaped one and saying it's yours, and they don't like it becuase of the bad condition?

Grading seems so subjective and scams so incredibly easy to pull off.

scrub
06-27-2005, 12:52 AM
The corners are bent on my Friendly Fire and somebody stole my Wolf Blitzer...

scrub

Blarg
06-27-2005, 12:55 AM
Like people were saying, comic books are really cyclical.

I'd watch out with comic book stores or just sales in general. Many will try to buy comics pretty much by the pound, and give you literally like 2 or 3 cents per dollar of their value.

There are comic conventions, too, where you can sell your comics. I've sold some that way, but I'd be careful letting anyone get their grubby mitts on them. Comic dorks aren't necessarily guys who are careful or have their heads together, and all it takes is a fingerprint or small crease to make value plunge.

I have many boxes of comics, too. I really should sell the damn things. I have the first appearance of the new X-Men, but aside from that, most of mine aren't very unusual. Some early issues of The Defenders, etc. Lots of old Superman stuff that doesn't sell as well as the Marvel, etc. Unfortunately, mine is the classic story of a kid whose mom threw away his comic books every chance she got; I could have paid my way through college with some of that treasure(sigh).

tonypaladino
06-27-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[What keeps] them from keeping your old one and sending you back their worse shaped one and saying it's yours, and they don't like it becuase of the bad condition?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5784775659

I used to be a big seller of collectable books on eBay.
I used one of these to mark everything I sold.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the tip.

The paper didn't warp from the ink or anything?

tonypaladino
06-27-2005, 01:38 AM
No, but I'm unfamiliar with comic books, and what kind of paper is used. Do old comics yellow? If so then the paper may be acidic, and the pen might react, but I have no idea. I don't think there's anything in the ink that could do anything bad, but I would try it on a cheap comic first.

TONY

AZK
06-27-2005, 01:45 AM
There are ways to find out how much each one is worth (comic book stores/magazines)...see if you have any hidden gems first.

usmfan
06-27-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, but I'm unfamiliar with comic books, and what kind of paper is used. Do old comics yellow? If so then the paper may be acidic, and the pen might react, but I have no idea. I don't think there's anything in the ink that could do anything bad, but I would try it on a cheap comic first.

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this with comic books. The mere marking decreases the grade and the value. For assurance both selling and buying, for premium books, lots of people use CGC (http://www.cgccomics.com/) grading service. They grade it and place the book in a plastic sealed cover/container.

Brainwalter
06-27-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't do this with comic books. The mere marking decreases the grade and the value.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know it's invisible ink right?

The other tip seemed very helpful though.

istewart
06-27-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Garden State?

Blarg
06-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Do you know if they sell anything on consignment, or if there's a decent reputable firm that handles transactions on consignment? The e-bay thing, I dunno if it suits me.

lastsamurai
06-27-2005, 05:53 AM
have you ever used the pen to mark hold em cards at home games? LOL

SmileyEH
06-27-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this Garden State?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

-SmileyEH

Cry Me A River
06-27-2005, 08:18 PM
I was a comic book dealer for many years (including about 7 years on eBay). I am currently "retired" so I'm not completely up to date on the latest trends.

Comic books are a buyers market for everything but the choicest pieces and probably always will be. Resale on comics is pretty horrible compared to the pre-bust and pre-eBay days.

There are basically 4 ways for you to sell your comics if you really want to. (Do not expect to make a lot of money!!!)

1) Take them to a dealer/store. Depending on quantity, for comics from the 80's to present you'll be lucky to get $.10 per comic (ie: 500 comics = $50) if there's some decent stuff included (ie: Someone mentioned Spawn 1). Otherwise if it's all junk or you have a large quantity (say, >25000) you're looking at pennies a comic. If you split out the "better" 80's-present comics, you will get anywhere from 10%-30% of guide, depending on exactly what they are. You may occaisionally get more, particularly for books that happen to be "hot" at the moment (ie: characters that have just been revived or spun off, characters with movies on the way) but that's something you really need to be "in the know" about. The reason is that the store/dealer is going to be selling them for $.25 to $1 for all but a relative handfull of the comics and it will take a long, long time to sell through. So he needs to buy them cheap to ensure that he makes a profit in the (very) long term.

For 60's and 70's books, depending on who you're dealing with and the particulars of the comics you're looking at anywhere from 10%-50% of guide price. Expect on the low side of that unless you have key (important) comics in high grade. I cannot overemphasize the imporatance of a comic's condition. It sounds like you don't have any golden age comics (pre-60's) so I won't go into those.

If you have a lot of older comics (60's & 70's) taking them to a comic book shop that only sells new comics is a really, really bad idea.

2) Sell them on eBay. For "common" comics from the 80's on up, your best bet is to sell them in runs (ie: A set of 10 sequential Superman comics). You can expect to get $.25-$.50 per comic, so try to make the runs big enough to make it worthwhile for people. For the bigger characters (Spidey, Batman, X-Men) you can expect to do better than this. Some stuff simply will not sell or you may have to relist several times (use minimum bids, buy-it-now, and the gallery!). "Key" comics (first appearances, first issues that kind of things) will average you somewhere around 25% guide. Do a completed auctions search to see the going prices. For older comics (60's) you can expect 25%-30% guide on mid-low grade (anything less than FN) comics. You'll do better for comcis in grade (FN or better) particularly key comics but it's really hit or miss.

3) Go to conventions/shows. You can price your comics at near guide, however you may be competing with people selling a lot of similar material (if you mostly have "modern" comics) for $.25, $.50 or $1 a comic (depending on your area). Better stuff (particularly older stuff) will get better prices. However it will take you a long time to sell all your comics unless you price very aggressively (low) and even then the market is very, very soft (even though eBay is not at the show, you are effectively competing with eBay. The only things you have on your side are convenience and the impulse buy)

Cry Me A River
06-27-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I used to be a big seller of collectable books on eBay.
I used one of these to mark everything I sold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, this is incredibly unethical. What did you grade their condition as? (or did you?)

Anyone who sold comic books damaged in this way would be lynched.

Cry Me A River
06-27-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You know it's invisible ink right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea the "anality" of comic book collectors.

A comic book marked in this way would generally be considered a VG, and worth about 20% that of a NM comic (That is, take a comic in perfect shape, mark it with one of those pens, and you reduce the value by 80% - If it's still saleable).

At best, some might argue it's a FN, in which case you're only reducing the value by 50%.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
How useful is CGC grading on a comic? Does it bring higher prices?

I was looking at the prices this guy says he is getting at http://www.pedigreecomics.com/index.php , and it looks like CGC grading is the reason.

I'm not surprised to see you talking about 10% prices on stuff from the 80's, especially since I've noticed both comic and coin dealers tend to only be interested in buying for pennies on the dollar as compared to price guides. This seems fairly standard.

I was a little more surprised at your seeming to apply this kind of purchase price range to comics from the 60's and 70's.

Again, will CGC grading change any of this? And is it safe to even attempt to get it? As I understand it, you have to submit to CGC through their registered dealers for grading, all of whom would have every opportunity to do anything from treat your comic poorly to substitute it for one of lesser quality and keep the better one.

Cry Me A River
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

How useful is CGC grading on a comic? Does it bring higher prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's a huge, huge, "scam" (By "scam" I mean people who don't know what they are doing are paying way too much of a premium for the CGC seal, not that they aren't being completely honest about what they are doing)

[ QUOTE ]

I was looking at the prices this guy says he is getting at http://www.pedigreecomics.com/index.php , and it looks like CGC grading is the reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

He also has several other things you probably do not: Patience, contacts and reputation.

You will also notice that most of his comics listed are in high grade.

Grade is everything. Absolutely everything.

If you have a bunch of NM Amazing Spiderman's from before 1965 you will have no problem getting top dollar for them. If have have a bunch of mid-grade silver age spidey's you will do okay because there's a big demand, but generally mid-low grade 60's books are very common.

The big mistake everybody makes selling a comic book collection is thinking that the price guide is at all relevant to them. All a price guide is, is a list of the amount you would expect to pay for a comic in an average comic book shop.

You are not buying, you are selling and you are certainly not a comic book shop. The amount you can expect to achieve is similar to that of any wholesaler, unless you decide to retail them yourself. Which brings it's own problems - Keep in mind, most comic shops have no problem letting bin stock or wall comics sit there for a year, two years, or more before they sell.

[ QUOTE ]

I was a little more surprised at your seeming to apply this kind of purchase price range to comics from the 60's and 70's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends. If you sell to a dealer or on eBay it's a "quick sale" and you take a big hit on the price for doing this. Even for silver age, if a dealer is going to sell at guide he needs to make profit. For high demand comics you will do better (key and in grade) but for VG, non-key silver age comics 30% guide is probably generous. If you're selling on eBay, you're selling to people who are either looking for/expecting a bargain or who are going to be reselling it themselves.

If you're willing to do it the hard way and sell your comics at cons, you can hold out for better prices, however it will take you a long, long time to sell out (and you have a lot more expenses - show fees)

You can also sell like this on eBay, but I don't have a lot of experience doing so (I was always happy to sell through nearly 100% at a reasonable price) - You set a relatively high minimum bid (50%-75% guide) and keep relisting until it sells. You can rack up considerable fees if you keep relisting and nothing sells, however, so I never really saw the point unless you're dealing with really expensive but low demand stuff.

If you go to any of the big regional cons (San Diego, Dragon Con, Motor City) you will see several dealers with bins and bins of mid-low grade silver age for sale at 50% guide. If they are selling at 50% guide, what do you think they are buying at?

Older comics are more sellable than newer (they will sell faster at "market value") however the market has become VERY fragmented and stratefied. There are two types of buyers, collectors who want mint, mint, mint, mint, mint, key, key, key and who are willing to pay for it and collectors who want cheap and readable.

[ QUOTE ]

Again, will CGC grading change any of this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, however only get comics in NM CGC graded unless the book in it's current condition is worth at least $500 or you have some special reason otherwise (ie: There are 1970's comics I'd consider getting CGC'ed in VF/VF+ condition even though they don't guide anywhere near $500).

A CGC grade on a comic less than VF generally won't help the price all that much, and the effect of CGC on price is less the older the comic.

[ QUOTE ]

And is it safe to even attempt to get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, however, with the proliferation of CGC reps I'd check out the local rep (Google) before giving anyone any valuable comics.

The argument is basically the same as for "Are online poker sites safe?"

Namely, they make a tonne of money by playing legit, and at any sign of impropriety their customers would run for the hills.

That being said, I have never personally had a comic CGC graded, nor bought or sold a CGC book. I do know several people who have made a lot of money because of CGC and my standard responce to the question why I don't has always been, "I could make a lot of money selling heroin but I don't do that either". But, to put it into context for this website, "I could make a lot of money cheating at poker, but I don't do that either".

BottlesOf
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
I have Amazing Spiderman 17, it's the second appearance of Green Goblin. I'm not sure how to rate the condition, it certainly isn't mint.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the detailed and helpful response.

You do seem very strongly of the opinion that CGC is unethical, which kind of surprised me; I had been thinking it was a way to insure you weren't getting screwed. As in, dealers typically buy collectibles claiming they are in one condition but then turn around and immediately sell it claiming it is a higher condition(I've seen this at comic stores and coin stores repeatedly, and I'm positive this isn't uncommon).

It did amaze me how much the CGC seems to prompt enormous prices.

Most of my comics are in exceptional condition, and you also seem to be estimating how low a price one would get for comics in mediocre or worse condition. Most of mine don't fall into that category. If I ever get around to selling them -- well, I wouldn't even consider selling them at 10% of their list price. They might as well be old newspapers for that price, and I'd just as soon pass them on to some kids when I'm an old man or something.

I tried selling at conventions before, but hauling all those boxes was an enormous effort, and as you note, the competition is fierce. Plus, it has to be a business and can't be done without a license. It was only minimally profitable outside whatever was the "hot" thing at the time, and the hot thing wasn't usually that rare anyway. I remember doing well on Sandman comics, but alas their popularity has gone the way of the dodo.

If I sell anything, I will have to pick my spots carefully, it seems. Thanks again for your reply.

A_C_Slater
06-27-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Amazing Spiderman 17, it's the second appearance of Green Goblin. I'm not sure how to rate the condition, it certainly isn't mint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.

You could probably get a couple of hundred for this if it's in even fair condition. First and second appearances of major charachters usually bring in the most $

Blarg
06-27-2005, 11:23 PM
The Green Goblin is easily one of the signature and most popular character of the series, too. Since he later killed Spidey's girlfriend, he may be the most important villain in the series -- it definitely was a huge comic event at the time.

Mike Gallo
06-27-2005, 11:36 PM
I have the first Spiderman that Todd McFarlane ever inked. I believe it came out in the early 90's.

Most are in excellent shape, a few of the older ones look a little older.

Unless you have them boarded and bagged, you wont get much for too many of them.

Look into selling them on E Bay. Thats what I plan on doing one day.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I've got tons of those McFarlane's. Problem is, they put them out in gigantic amounts. That was a period when the companies were making many more issues than would every get read, just for investors kind of working on the "greater fool" theory.

There was some money to be made if you got in early on some of those issues, though. I wonder how much my big fat stash from that time period would bring through e-bay. Let us know what your experience is like selling them, if you get around to it.

BottlesOf
06-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Yea mine are all boarded and bagged. my ASM 17 is in some crazy hard plastic case. Unfortunately, it was a little beat up when I got it. I miagine it's still in "fair" or "good" condition.

Blarg
06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
That's one of the ones that's pretty much guaranteed to go up in value over time. Nice to have. It would be nice to display, too, if you could keep it out of the light and heat.