Seat 1: HERO [JD,JC] ($1,480 in chips)
Seat 2: ats1 ($1,460 in chips)
Seat 3: Andy4927 ($1,685 in chips)
Seat 4: Flushdraw34 ($1,330 in chips)
Seat 5: trent4155 ($2,675 in chips)
Seat 7: dryflyonly ($2,800 in chips)
Seat 9: xxxCoop ($3,570 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
xxxCoop posts blind ($10), HERO posts blind ($20).

PRE-FLOP
ats1 folds, Andy4927 bets $150, 4 folds, Billnye04 bets $275, Andy4927 bets $1,535 and is all-in, HERO..??

<font color="blue"> No reads on the table. I'm wondering if this is a trivial decision that I should almost always make, or if the balance between calling and folding is more even depending on the situation?
Also, what should my play be if villain is
A. On the button
B. On the small blind </font>

jwsly1
06-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I will be interested to see how others would play this hand myself. I have been playing a lot of $10 tables myself and this kind of situation is hard to read. I have seen plenty of people of the low table make this kind of play with a low pair or even AJ suited .. but of course they could also have the Aces. I find myself usually calling these kinds of hands (when there is only one other player) and I seem to win more than lose -- but as I said I will be looking to see how other respond.

GL

Dan Rutter
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM
It is true that the UTG+1 raiser could have a wide range of hands here. He did make a bigger then normal raise which may indicate some weakness. I do not like your re-raise making it $275. I do not think I would re-raise at all from the BB, it is either call or fold, but re-raising that amount does not accomplish much. He has a mandatory call pretty much no matter what, you are out of position too. He does not have to re-raise with a bigger pair then your Jacks here either. He can slowplay and wait for you to led the flop. After he pushes all-in I would likely fold absent any read. You are either way behind, or a slight favorite in the majority of cases.

HighestCard
06-26-2005, 11:06 PM
With the 11's who knows what kind of hands players would push to a re-raise, this is the dilemma im facing. If i just call and theres no face cards on the flop, im stuck if he has a higher pair, but if face cards do come, they would probably help him, and if not, scare me enough where i fold.

HighestCard
06-26-2005, 11:11 PM
I still think I need to raise to find out where I am in the hand. I made a blunder not betting enough because I was trying to figure out where his hand was, because I think he would usually push with AK (where i dont want a coin flip this early), or higher pockets, and would tell me I need to get out of the hand because im behind...although who knows at the 11's, he could of had something like 8's.

luv_the_game
06-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't see how calling here can be a real option. What range of hands can you put him on. I would say that without any real read you you have to assume you are dominated here at least 60% of the time (AA-QQ). I would say that another 20% or so your facing two overcards, and about 20% your ahead.

It is way to early IMHO to be taking this kind of risk for all your chips. If you fold you are certainly not crippled. There is lots of time.

I would say that your re-raise here is marginal. You re-raise to get an idea where you are, but it doesn't really accomplish that. If he folds, great you've made about T150. Not really that big of a deal in the long run. If he calls, that really doesn't tell you anything. I would say that you still have to put him on the same range of hands as you did when he raised (especially at the 11s). If he raises you still don't know where you are (obviously since you are asking this question.)

I will say that I play at Stars so the read may be differant at other rooms with possibly weaker players, but even then I still fold and look for a better oppurtunity.