PDA

View Full Version : Who Is Helped by the Poker Superstars II Format?

PokrLikeItsProse
06-26-2005, 10:19 PM
The Poker Superstars Invitational II format has been criticized for reducing the game to a pre-flop all-in-fest. Obviously, this hurts the expectation of some players and, therefore, increases the expectation of other players.

The format helps players who have a better understanding of the math when it gets to the all-in stage. The format hurts players who have the edge in post-flop play, with better reads and timed aggression.

What other traits are helped or hurt by the format compared to a deeper-stacked format? Which players do you think are most helped and hindered by the format?

Russ McGinley
06-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Obviously Kathy Liebert is helped. Honestly, I wonder how many people still watch this show.

ClaytonN
06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
I have friends who know little about poker that enjoy watching it.

The more apt question is "How many twoplustwoers still watch this"

ismisus
06-26-2005, 10:33 PM
david sklansky is certainly helped. Plus this format doesn't different much from the Party higher step 5 $5,000 buy-in spin off.

TimTimSalabim
06-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I don't mind so much about the format, it's still poker. Tonight's lineup is pretty good - 4 world champions (Chan, Nguyen, Doyle, Moneymaker) and Ted Forrest.

Dynasty
06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have friends who know little about poker that enjoy watching it.

The more apt question is "How many twoplustwoers still watch this"

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't give you a good reason why I watch it, but it seems to be on my TV every Sunday night.

I guess I'm just hoping the "playoffs" will be better. When does that round begin?

Kevmath
06-26-2005, 11:32 PM
8 more weeks, tonight was week 16.

FSN shows a lot of poker, the problem is it's bad poker (except for July 13 hopefully).

Kevin...

TimTimSalabim
06-26-2005, 11:36 PM
*Only* 8 more episodes til they narrow it down to 16 semifinalists /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I think the reason that the pros like the format was that instead of doing one long tournament with slowly rising blinds, they do a whole bunch of quick tournaments, that way if you get really unlucky in 2 or 3 of them you're not out of the competition.

Sponger15SB
06-27-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't give you a good reason why I watch it, but it seems to be on my TV every Sunday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other day I watched a whole episode, then I watched whatever was on FSN and then it came on again and I watched a little bit of it before I beat the [censored] out of myself for watching such garbage for the second time.

OrangeKing
06-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Based on tonight's episode, I think Ted Forrest could use a lesson on inflection points. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

PokrLikeItsProse
06-27-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously Kathy Liebert is helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a purely outcome-based observation, or can you explain why she is helped by the format?

AndrewB
06-27-2005, 12:57 AM
Because each pro has 6 tournaments to accumulate points for the next round they are able to minimize table time with Kathy (who comes across as incredibly annoying on TV, just imagine what it's like to play with her).

A few lost points during Kathy games can be made up in the other non-Kathy sit n gos.

KDawgCometh
06-27-2005, 01:18 AM
PSI 2 would be awesome if they had a better blind structure. Hell I wouldn't even mind the rpaid blind levels if they started everyone off with the same chip amounts, and 500-100 blinds.

this structure helps out the players who aren't No Limit hold em experts. So someone like Cyndy Violette will be helped by the structure as she probably isn't as good of a post flop player as someone like Scotty Ngyuen

jgunnip
06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
I enjoy watching it more than WPT simply because of the big names. The commentary is pitiful, but i still enjoy it. Now that Ultimate Bet crap they have on saturday nights is horrible. I'm axiously awaiting the next time they show a live tournament.

TimTimSalabim
06-27-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm axiously awaiting the next time they show a live tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have long to wait on that score... I think that's the July 13th one that Kev was referring to.

d10
06-27-2005, 02:16 AM
My friend told me that when I play live I remind him of Kathy Liebert. Obviously this is bad for everyone I play with, so does that make it good for me?

jgunnip
06-27-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm axiously awaiting the next time they show a live tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have long to wait on that score... I think that's the July 13th one that Kev was referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, bummer, I'll be on vacation... TIVO!!

duma
06-27-2005, 07:47 AM
jonny chan. he wins it all so obviously the format helps him out most /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kevmath
06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PSI 2 would be awesome if they had a better blind structure. Hell I wouldn't even mind the rpaid blind levels if they started everyone off with the same chip amounts, and 500-100 blinds.

this structure helps out the players who aren't No Limit hold em experts. So someone like Cyndy Violette will be helped by the structure as she probably isn't as good of a post flop player as someone like Scotty Ngyuen

[/ QUOTE ]

They had 3 days to get the 24 elimination matches done, that's why the blinds are so high and move so fast. Day 4 they go from 16 to 8, then day 5 had the quarters, semis and finals.

Kevin...

betgo
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
I think players strong with math and poker fundamentals like Sklansky and aggressive players like Mortenson are helped. Players with poor fundamentals and lack of experience whose strengths are in bluffs and reads, like Moneymaker and Esfandiari, are hurt.

It is obvious from the results that it is not a total crapshoot. Some players have all 1st or 2nd places and others havemn't finished in the top 3 once.

Smoothcall
06-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Really noone is outplaying each opther. Its just luck who gets the hands when the blibnds are the highest and who wins the runouts. Oddly enough the ones favored are probably the tighter players. Because you get points for hanging around. Then when the blinds are high enough and a few guys gone the tight know to be just as aggressive as the aggressive guys.

Quake1028
06-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for ruining the ending /images/graemlins/mad.gif.