PDA

View Full Version : 44 in the big blind, against two aggressive opponents.

Bob T.
01-29-2003, 11:55 AM
CP last night, the game has turned loose aggressive, because of the addition of two players.

I have 4 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . In the Big Blind.

In late mid position, Loose, aggressive, and tricky(LAT) opponent open raises. Called by Loose Passive (LP). Weak Predictable (WP) player in the small blind three bets after thinking a couple seconds. 8 small bets in the pot, and likely two more going in, I call, and both other opponents call.

Flop, 7 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif .

Hmmm, I got some of this, but I don't know where anyone else is. I hope they all have a lot of overcards.

WP Checks (I think that puts him on AK). I bet. LAT calls, LP folds, WP calls.

Turn 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

WP checks, I bet, LAT calls. WP folds.

River T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif . I bet, LAT calls. Comments?

Thanks for your responses,
good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

Bob T.
01-29-2003, 11:58 AM
LAT showed 96 suited for a pair of 6s and took the pot.
WP confirmed that he had AK.

Good luck
play well,

Bob T.

haakee
01-29-2003, 01:05 PM
I don't like your pre-flop call. Small blind is predictable, right? He probably has a premium hand if he's three-betting. I would muck here and wait for a better opportunity for my pocket pair. If the pot is reraised by LAT preflop you're not getting your implied odds to spike a set.

bad beetz
01-29-2003, 06:38 PM
if he's truly loose-aggressive, I don't think your river bet can push him off a better hand than yours. You're bettor off inducing a bluff or folding. I hope you're against Ace-high

I say check and call on the river.

AceHigh
01-29-2003, 10:00 PM
I think you played it well, until the river. I would check/call the river.

mauisupaman
01-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Bob,
Is calling two bets cold in the BB with a small pocket pair usually profitable for you? And weren't you afraid that the aggressive player might cap it?
A hui hou,
Adam

Clarkmeister
01-30-2003, 12:35 AM
Perfectly played on every street.

gl

Vehn
01-30-2003, 12:59 AM
I think you played it fine other than preflop, where I would fold not only because of your description of the SB but because of the 5 bet cap. You also have to realize that your river bet is probably a bluff and you need to weigh your chances of it working when deciding to do it or not. On the other hand these types of river bluffs are very profitable at CP I've found.

Bob T.
01-30-2003, 12:24 PM
A number of posters, commented on the preflop decision. I thought that it was a fairly easy call, given the players involved. The open raiser, has such a wide range of hands that he would raise with in that situation, but he would only reraise with hands that most players would reraise with, so given that he raised in the first place, there isn't as of a chance that I will be facing a reraise, as there would be when most other players have raised.

A second factor that made the call attractive, is that I thought that the raise of the small blind who wasn't that aggressive, could be limited to a small group of hands, some of which I was ahead of, and some that I was behind. I thought that if I didn't hit my set, he would play predictably on the flop. He wouldn't bet into this field, unless he made a pair on the flop, so I would know on the flop if he had a pocket pair, or two big cards. The three bet would also put a rein on the open raiser, who is very aggressive preflop, but is not crazy, especially in the face of three bet by a predictable player.

Once the flop came off, I thought that everyone would have the odds to call the flop and the turn, with just overcards, so it was possible, that anyone who called, had exactly that, until the river, and even then, I expected that I might get called by an unimproved big ace. In one respect this might have been a better play, against tighter opponents, than the loose aggressive raiser, and the loose caller that were involved in this pot, because it would be more likely that an all low flop had missed tighter players.

After I got called, I thought that I had taken a new step here in playing poker. We all have 'put a player on a hand that we could beat, and called,' but here, I put a player on a hand that I could beat and bet. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Thanks for your responses,

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.