PDA

View Full Version : Boxing in Las Vegas

The Dude
06-26-2005, 08:33 PM
So now that I've returned from over a week in Vegas, one of my first priorities is to start planning my next Vegas trip. I will be travelling with a girl, and yesterday she told me she would like to see a boxing match when we go.

She doesn't know boxing very well, but thinks it's something she might enjoy going to. I got the impression she didn't care whether or not it was a fight among top-notch fighters or whether it was even ameteur.

To those of you who have been to boxing matches, what do you think? Should I look for a major event and drop a lot of money to get good seats for that (how important are good seats, and how much would they run?), should I get really good tickets to a fight between two lightweight new pros who are more likely to brawl, what do you think?

I'm open to a fairly large price range, as long as the entertainment is proportional to the expense.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Go to a smaller fight where you can get real good seats. The difference between the first few rows and something back in the arena is massive. It's a totally different experience. I think the Orleans still has a regular fight card.

jakethebake
06-26-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to a smaller fight where you can get real good seats. The difference between the first few rows and something back in the arena is massive. It's a totally different experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

And congrats on scoring a girl that is willing to take an interest in boxing.

goofball
06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So now that I've returned from over a week in Vegas, one of my first priorities is to start planning my next Vegas trip. I will be travelling with a girl, and yesterday she told me she would like to see a boxing match when we go.

She doesn't know boxing very well, but thinks it's something she might enjoy going to. I got the impression she didn't care whether or not it was a fight among top-notch fighters or whether it was even ameteur.

To those of you who have been to boxing matches, what do you think? Should I look for a major event and drop a lot of money to get good seats for that (how important are good seats, and how much would they run?), should I get really good tickets to a fight between two lightweight new pros who are more likely to brawl, what do you think?

I'm open to a fairly large price range, as long as the entertainment is proportional to the expense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the same chick with whom you were on about phone for about 90 minutes at the MGM?

The Dude
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the same chick with whom you were on about phone for about 90 minutes at the MGM?

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yes, it is.

The Dude
06-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks Clark. I was thinking along those lines.

I checked the schedule at the Orleans, and it's a little sporadic. Where else in Vegas runs a regular fight card?

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 09:39 PM
None that I know of, but I don't follow it closely. Check out www.lvrj.com (http://www.lvrj.com) and you should find something on it.

Blarg
06-26-2005, 09:42 PM
If she doesn't know much about boxing, she probably just wants to go for the experience of having gone to something new and a little exciting. Kind of like lots of people want to go to Vegas and see a show -- just ANY show. They just want to have the experience of a Vegas show.

If that's the case, the net effect of your taking her to an expensive fight, or getting the best seat, or having particularly high-ranked match to go to, as compared to just going to a small club with the gritty thrill and high level of anticipation of what's going to happen with local favorites, may be zero or even negative.

You might do better taking her to see something exciting and cheap than something slick. It's not like she's a major, schooled fan following a particular few favorite boxers or anything. Besides, there's a certain downscale thrill to boxing that will never quite come out of it. Some local hero lightweights pounding each other relentlessly while their cheering sections go nuts has a lot of slumming charm.

wacki
06-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I agree with clark about the smaller fights. Rent some videos of a featherweight fight and then watch a heavy weight. Often the featherweights put on a better show than the lightweights. This is especially true with the recent Mike Tyson. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

As long as the fighters are evenly matched you should have a good show.

Also, before I die I will sit ringside. That is all.

HDPM
06-26-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to a smaller fight where you can get real good seats. The difference between the first few rows and something back in the arena is massive. It's a totally different experience. I think the Orleans still has a regular fight card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. I am not the best boxing fan or anything, but I loved going to run of the mill las vegas fights. I am enough of a dinosaur I guess to have gone to decent but not huge fights with my father at the Dunes with the las vegas sporting crowd in attendance. Nothing like it. Cynicism, cigars, and polyester festival. Just wonderful. And you were close enough to the action to see just how hard those professional fighters - even "no power" fighters in the lighter weight classes - can hit. I have not been to a fight recently so I can't speak to which ones to go to in las vegas right now. But go for good tickets at decent but not huge fights and you will have a good time. And get laid given how this girl is sick enough to like boxing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

IronDragon1
06-26-2005, 10:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is especially true with the recent Mike Tyson. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

McBride vs Klitschko, however, will almost certaily go down as the greatest competitive event of all time