PDA

View Full Version : I haven't learned the odds yet. Fold this flop? How do I play this?

elonkra
06-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Hand #6749850-27 at TurboSnG-0010y (No Limit Hold'em Sit and Go)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 26/Jun/05 20:14:22

troy 1971 is at seat 0 with 3075.
Annie Earnest is at seat 1 with 3335.
zenon_mist is at seat 2 with 1510.
msrinny02 is at seat 6 with 335.
Drayton is at seat 7 with 1765.
arknole is at seat 8 with 2950.
andi964 is at seat 9 with 2030.
The button is at seat 6.

Drayton posts the small blind of 75.
arknole posts the big blind of 150.

troy 1971: -- --
Annie Earnest: -- --
zenon_mist: -- --
msrinny02: -- --
Drayton: -- --
arknole: 4d As
andi964: -- --

Pre-flop:

andi964 calls. troy 1971 folds. Annie Earnest
folds. zenon_mist folds. msrinny02 folds. Drayton
calls. arknole checks.

Flop (board: 5d 3d 6d):

Drayton checks. arknole checks. andi964 bets 150.
Drayton calls. arknole calls.

Turn (board: 5d 3d 6d 9h):

River (board: 5d 3d 6d 9h Ah):

Showdown:

andi964 shows 3c 3s.
andi964 has 3c 3s 3d 9h Ah: three threes.
Drayton mucks cards.
(Drayton has 4c 9c.)
arknole mucks cards.
(arknole has 4d As.)

Hand #6749850-27 Summary:

No rake is taken for this hand.
andi964 wins 1800 with three threes.
----------------------------------------------------------------

tjh
06-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Buy a book, read a book, any poker book.

Get the basics down, have a plan. Come here and get help fine tuning that plan.

I lost some money online, decided to invest my next $200 in books and they paid for themselves.

Odds for an open ended straight draw you need 1/5 pot odds for that.

Do a web search for holdem odds and find and print a table on odds. I prefer to think of odds on a per turn basis and bet by bet some advice and odds are based on both turn and river to come.

Best of luck..

--
tjh

elonkra
06-26-2005, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't be calling if this were just an open ended straight draw. In addition to the eight straight outs, I've got three potential ace outs and two definite straight flush outs.

So, as I understand it, 10 out of the 52 cards in the deck are definite outs for me. In other words, 1 out of every five cards in the deck will win it for me, so I'm 1:5. I'm also getting 1:5 pot odds, as I have to call t150 to close the action on a pot that is currently sitting at t750. I know I have to take future betting costs into account in the event I miss the turn, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

I feel like the turn and river are auto-calls, and I'm genuinely confused about how I calculate the flop decision. Any chance you could explain? I've read HOHE I (great), McEvoy (ok), and Helmuth (crap). Maybe I should've picked up more than what I have in those books, maybe I just haven't read the right books.

cha59
06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Keep reading and playing a lot. This is a tough crowd here.

Other good books are all of the holdem books published by 2+2.

In regards to the way you played it, I think you played it a little too passively.

With all those outs, I would want to put a healthy bet in on that flop. This gets you information from your opponent about what he's holding.

There is a lot more that could be said about this, but tjh is correct, read and play more. Also keep reading the stuff on this forum. There is no better info anywhere than what you'll read here.

tjh
06-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Sorry to give you a response suited for a noob. Your post title seemed a little naive, no offense meant.

Here then is my consideration of the hand, by no means expert advice but perhaps worthwhile.

I would fold the flop, bet the flop, or check-raise the flop. Calling the flop leaves you in the dark as to your opponents hands.

Your diamond is low, your flush if attained would be weak. Bet for info and then get out if you have to.

--
tjh

threeonefour
06-26-2005, 09:50 PM
The idea of raising for information is stupid imo. any "information" you gain isn't worth tossing away such a big percentage of your stack on it.

it really depends on how the other two players play, but ultimately i don't think you played the hand that poorly personally. Its kinda scary that you might be drawing to a split especially because drayton is the SB, though its not concern enough for me to just fold the flop.