PDA

View Full Version : Will the Yankees fire Mel Stottlemyer tomorrow ?

Mike Gallo
06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
If the Yankees get swept tonight look for the boss to make an example of someone and fire someone on the coaching staff.

Considering how poorly the Yankees have pitched Mel Stottlemyer looks like the perfect scape goat.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

[censored]
06-26-2005, 08:06 PM
A) Won't happen

B) see A

If there is going to be a coaching change it will be at the top which I don't see happening anytime this summer.

I'm a Yankee fan but let's face it, the team got old, these things happen very quickly. This isn't going to be a fun season but I've had a decade of good times so personally I will be fine and in the long run so will the Yanks.

mrbaseball
06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Would the Yankees ever white flag it and throw in the towel? Dump anyone and everyone (I assume Rivera, Arod and Jeter untouchable) and try to get younger and reload in free agency? Wright/Pavano/Johnson didn't seem to work so dump 'em and try again?

I doubt they could even move a position player (maybe Sheffield, Matsui) but lots of teams will be looking for pitchers for the stretch and if they could get something for Gordon, Mussina, Johnson, Brown or Pavano they should take it!

Would/could the Yankees bring themselves to do this? If they don't do something they aren't gonna improve and they could end up sucking again next year.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would the Yankees ever white flag it and throw in the towel? Dump anyone and everyone (I assume Rivera, Arod and Jeter untouchable) and try to get younger and reload in free agency? Wright/Pavano/Johnson didn't seem to work so dump 'em and try again?

I doubt they could even move a position player (maybe Sheffield, Matsui) but lots of teams will be looking for pitchers for the stretch and if they could get something for Gordon, Mussina, Johnson, Brown or Pavano they should take it!

Would/could the Yankees bring themselves to do this? If they don't do something they aren't gonna improve and they could end up sucking again next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know Cashman would, and I think George could be convinced as long as it was viewed as a short term rebuild and not a multiyear project.

The problem is when looking at the Yankee roster it becomes really hard to find guys who can be moved, as the problem players (ie not Jeter Arod etc) are for the most part overpaid and underproducing.

andyfox
06-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Stottlemyre might be thrown overboard. Unless Torre says hes my man and if he goes, I go.

They might try to make some moves to acquire players who can help them. They certainly can use either a center fielder or a first baseman who can hit and, more importantly, starting pitching.

I saw this in 1965. After winning five pennants in a row (and 14 out of 16), Mantle, Maris and Howard couldn't hit any more. And, except for two starting pitchers (Whitey Ford and, of all people, Mel Stottlemyre), the starting pitching collapsed. When Ford was finished the next year, they finished 10th in a 10-team league.

There are too many players on the roster who are a waste of time: Tino, Giambi, Bernie, Sierra, Womack, Quantrill, and Brown for starters. They will all be gone next year. Add to that the fact that Johnson, Mussina, Posada and Sheffield are all on the tail ends of their careers, and there are a lot of problems. And Jeter, Matsui, and A-Rod are not kids.

Cano may be an OK player, and Wang seems to have a reasonable chance to make it. Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.

sublime
06-26-2005, 08:36 PM
A) Won't happen

only because of his relationship with torre perhaps. lets not give mel any acchievment awards here, pitchers seem to do worse when they get to NY and better when they leave. i'm not about to blame that on mel, but he does factor in....no?

andyfox
06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
He just said on ESPN that turning the team around shouldn't be that difficult given the talent they have. I hope that's just the party line, because if he believes it, he's deluded. They do not have a good team.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A) Won't happen

only because of his relationship with torre perhaps. lets not give mel any acchievment awards here, pitchers seem to do worse when they get to NY and better when they leave. i'm not about to blame that on mel, but he does factor in....no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, my reason is entirely because of his relationship with Torre. Tough to blame mel for Brown and others though.

Mike Gallo
06-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Stottlemyre might be thrown overboard. Unless Torre says hes my man and if he goes, I go.

I agree, however the Boss will keep the team on a short leash. Torre already inserted a player from Columbus.

Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.

You have enjoyed success since 1995, you have little to complain about.

Voltron87
06-26-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I agree, however the Boss will keep the team on a short leash. Torre already inserted a player from Columbus.

Other than that, the situation seems bleak to me.

You have enjoyed success since 1995, you have little to complain about.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't complaining, he is saying the situation looks bleak.

Mike Gallo
06-26-2005, 09:43 PM
He isn't complaining, he is saying the situation looks bleak.

Whoooaaaa Nelly, I meant that in the nicest of ways, I think Andy knows that.

Toro
06-26-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This can't happen. Everyone makes too much dough. The yankees would have to give away the players for next to nothing and also pick up 90% of their salary, like the sox did with BK Kim. You can do it with one guy but not a whole team.

sublime
06-26-2005, 10:46 PM
joe morgan should just shut up. did sheffield have a beef? yeah. he slammed his friggin helmet, how can morgan not see that until the replay. what is he watching?

Voltron87
06-26-2005, 10:47 PM
morgan and the other espn guy are awful.

and the tie goes to the runner.

Toro
06-26-2005, 10:49 PM
During sheffield's at bat he said a pitch was up and they showed the replay and that k zone thing and the pitch was low. The guy is terrible.

Voltron87
06-26-2005, 10:51 PM
that pitch was a hilarious call.

i do hate that k zone thing though. the commentators babble on about it like idiots.

yeah... look at that replay again and tell me his foot isnt on the bag.

sublime
06-26-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think sheff was safe. however, for morgn to sit there and try to figure out if he should have been ejected is moronic.

i dont understand how these two can have jobs. its really like listening to two old guys blabber.

sublime
06-26-2005, 10:56 PM
"bullpen by committee"

classic

Voltron87
06-26-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think sheff was safe. however, for morgn to sit there and try to figure out if he should have been ejected is moronic.

i dont understand how these two can have jobs. its really like listening to two old guys blabber.

[/ QUOTE ]

morgan is a total fool. player gets called out. player throws helmet and runs at ref yelling and gets in his face. player is ejected. duh. i dont fault sheff for what he did though.

the other guy is worse though, wtf is he doing calling games?

and in other news, we really [censored] up this game. seriously, wtf are we doing out there. you can talk about sheff being safe or whatever but they should not have 4 runs.

attaboy cano

Mike Gallo
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"bullpen by committee"

classic

[/ QUOTE ]

laughed my ass off at that comment

sublime
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"bullpen by committee"

classic

[/ QUOTE ]

laughed my ass off at that comment

[/ QUOTE ]

that whole interview was hilarious. i like when shes asked what needed to be improved on the mets and minaya says "i dont know"

when the interview ends it looks like he is ready to pounce on her.

Mike Gallo
06-26-2005, 11:13 PM
..." we are buyers"....

andyfox
06-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I agree, it's been a great run. Not complaining, just facing facts, which many Yankee fans here seem not to be able to do.

Voltron87
06-27-2005, 01:49 AM
I really don't think this team as bad as everyone is saying now, honestly. We are better than a .500 to .530 team. We have problems in the pen and in the late spots in our rotation, but otherwise I'm not in crisis mode. sure, giambi sucks at 1st and we have some cf spots to juggle, but those are the only questions in the field.

In 2-3 years is when things will get bad if we don't start this offseason.

andyfox
06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
You think the Yankees are as good as Boston? Texas? Chicago? Minnesota? Los Angeles/Anaheim (or whatever the hell they're called these days)? Baltimore?

I don't. Perhaps Baltimore when all is said and done. But I don't think there's any way the Yankees finish ahead of Boston and, that being the case, they'd have to be the wild card to make the post-season and I don't see how they can end up with a better record than either Minnesota or Texas.

While Giambi, Bernie, and Womack are problems, the bigger problem is the starting pitching. The Torre Yankees have always had a group of very good starting pitchers--Key, El Duque, Boomer, Clemens, Pettitte, Coney, Mussina. There's not even one stopper now, since none of their starting pitchers seems capable of throwing more than one or two good games consecutively.