PDA

View Full Version : How did we play this one?

Chr
01-29-2003, 10:01 AM
PLHE 1/2 on PokerStars. Very passive table with very few preflop raises. I'm in small blind with a stack of 180 looking at Th9h.

All fold to button who calls $2. I raise to $5. BB calls (he covers me), button folds.

Pot=$12
Flop: Js 7d 4c

I take it that BB didn't hit and bet the pot, hoping he will take me for a big pair and fold. Plan: If he calls i check-fold turn unless i hit my gutshot. If he raise i fold.

BB calls

Pot : 36
Turn: 8s

Whew!! I hit a nice hidden str8. He simply can't read me for it. I decide to keep on showing a big pair, hoping BB hit trips or has a big pair. So... I bet the pot again. And ..... nice nice nice BB raise to 72. I go all-in. BB call. I expect to see a str8 in BBs hand now.

Well....... He had 44.

I find BBs play very bad. Guess he tried to trap me, but with buttom set i find it too dangerous not to raise the flop. When he raise the turn, its too late - he has to call for rest of his stack. With his play he will never lay down buttom set. I admit its not often it has to be done, but why play in a way that makes it impossible.

As i see it his raise on the turn will maybe get a call from a lesser hand, but never a call on the river for rest of the stack. On the other hand, the way BB played, he is already committing all his money when he is beat.

Any comments appreciated.

By the way..... not that i find it important, but board paired on river. So he was the smart guy this time.

ohkanada
01-29-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't see much need to raise with T9s from the SB where you will have poor position the whole hand. That being said it is a rare player that would open limp on the button in PL so against that player maybe it is important to take control.

On the flop I have no issue with your follow through bet. I do agree the BB should have raised although it is not like there are piles of draws out there. Other than 65, there are gutshots like yours but no flush draws.

Once the turn comes it all looks fine from that point.

Ken Poklitar

Chr
01-30-2003, 06:23 AM
Thx for your comments Ken.

I agree that my preflopraise is a bit strange. I made it to get rid of BB and come heads-up with button. My thinking is that a limp on button is very weak and flops with A, K, T and 9 will be good for me + potential straight and flush. Against a weak player on button i sometimes do that.

Well... it didnt work this time. BB called and button folded.

However, this told me big Ace or pp in BB's hand which led to the rest of my play.