PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars only compensates 42% of players affected by server problem

McMelchior
06-26-2005, 07:22 PM
As Lee Jones announced earlier today on this board PokerStars have compensated players affected by a technical problem in the $22+R satellite to the $700,000 guaranteed event today by a "roll forward", a way of distributing the prize money according to each players equity at the time of the problem.

Only problem is: Only 42% of the players still in the tournament at the time of the glitch are receiving any compensation; the remaining 58% either are receiving no compensation or they are compensated "on a case-by-case basis".

This is plain and simply wrong, and this is not the level of customer services and fairness we have become used to with PokerStars.

I was one of the players still in the tournament at 2:48 PM EDT today, when a problem stalled the server. For half an hour no hands were dealt, but in the mean time the tournament clock progressed unaffected.

At the time of the problem the tournament was progressing at level 4 with blinds 50/100, 659 players were still in, and with 1,413,555 chips in play the average stack was 2,145.

I held 3,400 chips, 34 BBs, well above average and a good stack to maneuvre.

No detailled announcements were given during the 30 minutes of server "down time", but suddenly - without any warning - the tournament restarted at 3:18 PM EDT. And now the blinds were at level Ten (10)(!), 400/800, and my 3,400 chips suddenly was reduced to 4 BBs!!! As everybody knows such shallow stacks turns a tournament into pure randomness.

Unexplicably the tournament continued approximately 10 minutes from here with the new blinds, and in this period not only I but a total of 382 players busted out leaving only 277 of the original 659 (at the onset of the technical problem). Since the blinds were 400/800 and about to
increase to 600/1,200 when I lost my chips it didn't make any sense to rebuy at this point, since a 1,000 chip rebuy barely would cover the BB.

When I received a mass-email from PS's support announcing the "roll forward" compensation and discovered that I was not "on the list", I once again sent an email to support with the above content. Five minutes later I received a reply, stating that "Tournament refund requests are being handled on a case-by-case basis. To request a refund for an affected event, please write us an e-mail at support@pokerstars.com with the subject line:
"REFUND: TOURNAMENT #XXXXXX, $Y BUY-IN" [..]"

Conclusion: The 382 players (58% of all players in the tournament at the time of the glitch) will only be compensated after individually complaining and individually being evaluated by PokerStars - in spite of the fact that their fate in the tournament 100% was caused by PokerStars' error!

Interesting enough based on what happened I could have chosen to keep re-buying, and would have received compensation in excess of the cost of multiple rebuys. But since no detailled announcements of the fait of the tournament was made I - and other players in my position - had no way of knowing that.

Letting the tournament continue after jumping the blind level from level 4 to level 10 and then only compensating the 40% of the players that - exclusively by chance - survive additional 10 minutes of play - is NOT a just way of dealing with PokerStars' error. I and everybody else still in the tournaments at 2:48 PM EDT - the time of the onset of the technical error - should be compensated for their loss - without having to complain about it.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

bugstud
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
if you could figure out what number person busted first after the restart, that'd help them a lot I imagine.

McMelchior
06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
PokerStars has all the details necessary for responding in a fair and just way to the incidence. I don't have access to hand histories from other tables - just my own.

All it takes for them is to realize they made a mistake and to be willing to put up the money to correct it (now that the whole prize sum has been distributed among the final 277 participants). The prize sum was $28,300 when the incidence occured, so it's going to be a sting of about half this amount - $15,000 - for PokerStars to correct their compensation error.

A lot of money, but it's just not OK to let the players pay for PokerStars blunder.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Arnfinn Madsen
06-26-2005, 07:45 PM
I think that your basic claim that you with your big stack suffered from a jump of blinds is wrong.

McMelchior
06-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Explain?

Arnfinn Madsen
06-26-2005, 08:03 PM
In a satelite it will force a lot of players to go all-in not to be blinded out which you with a larger than average stack benefits from.

McMelchior
06-26-2005, 08:21 PM
After the restart of the tournament the average stack had 2.7 BB, whereas I had 4.25 BB.

In a long series of trials I will come out of this situation as a favorite.

Short term all game is lost, you might as well flip coins or throw dice.

Of course a few major stack of 15 - 30 BBs benefitted tremendously from the instant 8 x increase in blinds. Since we were only 18 minutes into the satellite there wasn't a lot of those around.

Almost everybody came out as a loser, with their survival solely depending on blind luck. These were NOT the publicised term we entered the tournament on, and everybody should be entitled to compensation based on equity at the onset of error.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Cleveland Guy
06-26-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a satelite it will force a lot of players to go all-in not to be blinded out which you with a larger than average stack benefits from.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense.

Everyone was effected by the larger blinds - and everyone in a negative way. Even the big stacks.

McMelchior
06-27-2005, 12:54 AM
I finally got an email from support - they have credited my account my buy-in.

I still believe I (and everyone else in the tourney at the time the problem began) should have been treated equally, and compensated according to their equity in the tournament.

But I've wasted to much time on this already, and I guess it's fair to allow PokerStars a single screw-up based on their in general high level of service and integrity. I'm just disappointed.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

McMelchior
06-27-2005, 10:45 AM
PokerStars certainly stepped up to the plate this time:

This morning I received an email:
"> Hello Johan,
>
> In reviewing your tournament, I can see that you definitely did have a
> chance to qualify that was seriously harmed by this. As a gesture of
> goodwill, I have credited your account with T$508, thus bringing your
> total
> award to a total value of $530.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jacob
> PokerStars Support Team

Of course this gesture is way above and beyond what I had asked for and with any reason could expect.

The core of the history is, that PokerStars - as everybody else - is capable of making questionable decissions, but given the opportunity to review the facts they're willing to put their money where their mouth is and maintain a level of customer service and support far above any other competitor on the net.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

Shorty35
06-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Glad to see that his had a positive outcome. The moral of the story is that you can rely on Poker Stars support, it just takes some time and explaining. From what I have seen, they have eventially dealt with every "special situation" fairly (yours, the double shootout imbroglio, etc.).

Lee Jones and the Stars team deserve a lot of credit.