PDA

View Full Version : how dangerous are video games to televisions?

TStoneMBD
06-26-2005, 07:11 PM
i just bought a 53" rear projection panasonic and taped to the front of it was a notice that warned how video games can hurt the television's picture.

how accurate is this? am i enduring risk by occasionally using a video game console on it a few hours a week? what if the console was running very frequently? how serious can video games distort the television or is the distortion so small that its barely noticeable?

is this how it is on all televisions or only certain models such as this one?

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Just don't hit pause. The only danger is if the picture is still for too long.

vulturesrow
06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Basically what MacDaddy said. The risk if that you leave a game paused for long periods of times on these types of TVs (projection screens) the image can actually be "burned" into the screen. Just dont leave the game paused for long periods of time.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
What they said, the only real danger is leaving the game paused with the picture on for long periods of time. Bear in mind that the image has to be up there for a very long time for any damage to occur.

You can still pause the game and leave it on for days, just turn the TV off when you do so. Or even better, disconnect the game system from the TV.

TStoneMBD
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
ok thanks guys, good news. my tv has like a million component hookups in the back, so i can leave the game hookedup, pause it and just change the component channel and change it back when i want to finish up.

Blarg
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
My immediate thought was you might also be asking this because you're thinking of playing poker on your big screen one day to see how you like that.

Since almost nothing in the screen image changes on poker sites, I guess these guys are saying poker on your big screen is a no-no.

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I might avoid that...

vulturesrow
06-26-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok thanks guys, good news. my tv has like a million component hookups in the back, so i can leave the game hookedup, pause it and just change the component channel and change it back when i want to finish up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. I do this fairly often myself.

CallMeIshmael
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Im buying a plasma when I get back to school, and have been doing some research.

I was talking to a salesman (so take it for fwiw, though it was clear I wasnt buying one there) at future shop (think: canada only best buy), and he said something like:

I've seen one case of burn in my entire time here. Here is what happened: there was a problem with the computer, and one of our display TVs ended up getting just a menu (no moving images), every day, for 8 hours per day, for two weeks. Even then, it was only starting to burn in.

david050173
06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Old school plasma was pretty easy to burn in. The ones in the last couple of years are almost at CRT burn in level. With some basic common sense (ie turn off torch mode and don't leave a game paused 24/7) burn in insn't a huge issue. See the avsforums.com for long threadsa bout this.

B00T
06-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Watch out for games like Madden where the scoreboard is permenately fixed in one area of the screen.

TStoneMBD
06-26-2005, 09:46 PM
that probably rules out like 50% of the games then /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peca277
06-26-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
permenately

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif