PDA

View Full Version : PO'ed a local pro, what do you think, donk or solid

Percula
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Live 2-150 game. I play this game pretty regularly and one of the regular players by defination is a professional poker player (in otherwords his sole source of income is poker). He was in town after running badly in the WSOP this last week and was feeling a little picked on by the poker gods.

For the last hour or so he has been trying to get some action going on a too tight table. Raising and showing less than premium hands. It has helped a little, and I have no problem with what he was doing, after all there were two fish and a ATM at the table that wanted to play. He is VERY capable of putting it AI on a bluff and has done so twice this day.

He has about $700 behind, I have $300 as I just topped off to the max buy-in.

PF: Pro is UTG+1 and raises to 25 (std raise for this table), folds around to me with A/images/graemlins/spade.gifT/images/graemlins/club.gif, I call putting him on any suited connector, connected or two paint.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/spade.gif3/images/graemlins/club.gif with two spades, UTG+1 leads out 75, but is not giving his "strong" tell, I raise 150 to 225 total, he smooth calls.

Turn: 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, UTG+1 leads out 150, but looks like he does not like his hand and I do not mean in a direct manner, but I have played with him enough that I have a pretty good read on him and even though he "acted" strong I felt he was scared, I call AI.

River: 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, he tables KJo.

etizzle
06-26-2005, 05:42 PM
In general I dont like the flop play or preflop play.

Yes, ATo is ahead of his range if he is really raising a lot of hands preflop, but you're really not going to be able to play a big pot comfortably with this hand unless you get a really lucky flop.

Basically, wether he is raising a suited connector or a hand that dominates yours, it will be difficult for him to make a mistake against your ATo after the flop. He is not just gonna move in on a T high flop unless he has you beat.

On the flop, I would just fold. This overbet is unlikely to be a bluff. Obviously your read of him was wrong. Either way though, once you get to the turn you cannot fold for your last 50 dollars.

mosch
06-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Pre-flop: this is a bad call. You've got position, but your hand is in a lot of trouble on a lot of flops. Putting 10% of your money in here is a waste.

Flop: you've got one overcard, a gutshot, and a backdoor flush draw. Your money is not deep, and he'll be getting 3:1 on a call with only $50 left to deal with. Fold.

Turn: well, now that you've gone this far, call and pray that a spade or a queen rescues you from the hole you've dug yourself.

Summary: this hand made me throw up a little in my mouth.

(also, this shouldn't be in the limit forum)

A_C_Slater
06-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I think the pro made a mistake not raising all in on the flop after your reraise.

mike l.
06-27-2005, 12:30 AM
rock solid, great stuff man.

Percula
06-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys.

I was frankly very embarased to turn that one over. I knew I was 110% donk there, and the only reason I posted here is that I was hopeful someone might have had a better line...

I was thinking about it later and that maybe since I put him on a action raise and not a premium hand like AA, KK or QQ that I should have RR another 150 PF, roll the ace to the top and muck at 60mph before anyone could ask to see them.

Yes, I guess this should be in the NL/PL forum, but frankly spread limit doesn't fit there either, and I have been told there to post here and here to post there. So you are all going to just have to live with the post on spread limit from time to time, just like the NL/PL guys are going to have to live with it too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mosch
06-27-2005, 08:10 AM
A pre-flop re-raise would've been much better, in my opinion.

I edited that out of my first post because you didn't mention what position you were in, so I had no idea if it was a viable line or not.