PDA

View Full Version : Falling in and out of Love w/ AKs

lil feller
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm sure I'm the only person who struggles with this on this forum, but I hate AKs. It isn't because I think its "unlucky", or anything like that, its because I'm bad at poker, and for some reason can't let go of my emmotional attachment to that one hand. I have identified the problem, however, and am taking steps to correct it. This hand was one such step.

Good B&M 20/40 w/ full kill. This is NOT a kill pot.
SB seems to be semi-tight/semi-aggressive probably a slightly winning player if he gets in the right games. He was stuck pretty bad in this session, but showed no signs of tilting.

The had before I had raised the blinds from the button w/ 66, flopped quads, and he gave me action with an underpair (my image is certainly AGG, and maybe a little LAG).

So, i'm in the c/o w/ A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Its folded to me and I raise. SB calls, everybody else mucks.

Flop:

K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif

He c/r the flop, I 3 bet. He calls

Turn:
3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

He checks. I bet (mistake?) he c/r. I think about his range, figure its extremely likely that he has KJ, QJ, JT, AJ, or some straightable J suited...and fold.

Is this fold as standard as I think it is? I thought about checking the turn and calling any river, but thought he might be on a weaker K that he'd payoff with, or maybe a heart draw. Should I have checked the turn?

lf

etizzle
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
if he isn't agressive then he always has a J here. Nice hand.

And no, always bet this turn. You will be called by many hands that you have beat. Also, It sounds like he is the type of player you can fold to here, which makes it an even easier bet.

ggbman
06-26-2005, 05:44 PM
I think these hands are tough, but i think i play it the same ultimately, the turn fold is pretty standard.

lil feller
06-27-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think these hands are tough, but i think i play it the same ultimately, the turn fold is pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought so, and it felt right at the time...

Until he showed me A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

I still think it was the right move though, 90/100 this player shows me QJo.

roy_miami
06-27-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SB seems to be semi-tight/semi-aggressive probably a slightly winning player if he gets in the right games

[/ QUOTE ]

SB played this expertly no matter what he was holding.

[ QUOTE ]
He checks. I bet (mistake?)

[/ QUOTE ]

The way he played it, I bet the turn every time.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this fold as standard as I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be my action at the table "TIME!!!"

lil feller
06-27-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB played this expertly no matter what he was holding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think so? Against another player, certainly, but if he actually did flop huge showing that much strength is going to get a fold from me (as it did). If he stop &go's turn to river, I pretty much have to call. Even with what he actually held, I can only call the turn c/r if I have his hand tied/beat. Given that we had the exact same hand, it certainly worked out well, but really getting a fold out of another AK is the only good that can come from c/r twice.

[ QUOTE ]
The way he played it, I bet the turn every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. I thought so. I also remember reading in HPFAP, however, that Sklansky recommends checking this sort of turn to avoid this type of scenario, and do so intending to call any river card.

[ QUOTE ]
This would be my action at the table "TIME!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my reaction too. The flop didn't look like a Jack, it looked like a K who didn't believe me, or a draw trying to put pressure on me, hence my 3-bet. The turn was confusing, and at that point when I went through is range of hands, there was nothing that made sense that I could beat.

lf