PDA

View Full Version : J4s blind defense

DBowling
06-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Maybe a little loose, but i do not allow my blinds to be stolen freely. Villian is 13/7/1.6 with 33% ASB.

Thoughts to come...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...

imported_leader
06-26-2005, 05:02 PM
How do you know Villain’s stats? He just posted. Anyway, I believe it's +ev for him to raise with any 2. So I think your call is good. Once you get past that, I think CC the flop. Then, CR the turn. Is a good line.

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know Villain’s stats? He just posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

youve never played with the same person twice?

chesspain
06-26-2005, 05:12 PM
I would toss that cheese. Your hand is no better than a random hand, it has no showdown value, and you are OOP against a TAG (albeit a somewhat passive one). Although there is an extra small bet in the pot, the dead SB is still only 1/3 and your're mixing it up with someone just for the sake of mixing it up.

SmileyEH
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would toss that cheese. Your hand is no better than a random hand, it has no showdown value, and you are OOP against a TAG (albeit a somewhat passive one). Although there is an extra small bet in the pot, the dead SB is still only 1/3 and your're mixing it up with someone just for the sake of mixing it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

If CO posted then he is going to be stealing with around 60-70% of his hands.

-SmileyEH

clownshoes
06-26-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Even if that was true how would that make J4s any better? The hands sucks, toss it.

Alpha13
06-26-2005, 05:27 PM
CO has to put only one more bet to take a shot at the blinds, which is nice for K2-98 (just a rough estimate of the top 70%) All these hands will hate a turn C/R on this board, so I think I like it

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Even if that was true how would that make J4s any better? The hands sucks, toss it.

[/ QUOTE ]

J4s is slightly worse than a random hand (49%)

chesspain
06-26-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

J4s is almost exactly a coin-flip against a random hand. And given this TAG's numbers, I'ld say that a steal rate closer to 60% is reasonable.

Does that really push this mediocre hand to a call?

Shillx
06-26-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

And if the guy is any good, he will be raising 100% of his hands.

imported_leader
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know Villain’s stats? He just posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

youve never played with the same person twice?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must use PV because GT+ takes at least one hand to load.

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You must use PV because GT+ takes at least one hand to load.

[/ QUOTE ]

correct

SmileyEH
06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
This is kind of a tangent, but I think one of the biggest mistakes that players who post here make is not stealing enough, and not defending enough. And when they do see flops they show an unwilligness to bluff and semi-bluff as much as possible. Just my 2c.

-SmileyEH

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although there is an extra small bet in the pot, the dead SB is still only 1/3

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget im defending my BB also

HolyBejeesus
06-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Let's not forget, we don't need to be ahead of Villian's stealing range to make this a call. We are getting over 3:1 to see the flop.

toss
06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Is PV really worth the $50? I use GT and I find having to manually load helps me pay more attention to the tables I'm playing. Instead of, you know, jealously reading about everybodys' trip to Vegas. Why can't I be 21 now?

sthief09
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
this is not how we make money at limit texas hold them

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop, flop, or turn? or all?

sthief09
06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

preflop, flop, or turn? or all?

[/ QUOTE ]

all of the above, especially the idea that on the flop you're going to make a terrible call to attempt to take a shot at the turn. preflop you have a hand that's going to rarely hit the flop, whcih means you're going to be in situations where you're going to try to get creative when you flop nothing, and end up bluffing into someone who has you drawing to runner runner

chesspain
06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a tangent, but I think one of the biggest mistakes that players who post here make is not stealing enough, and not defending enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny you say this, because I was flamed for my pre-flop defense decision in the following hand:

link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=272 1568&amp;Forum=,,All_Forums,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limi t=25&amp;Main=2721568&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=4165&amp;dat erange=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp; bodyprev=#Post2721568)

DBowling
06-26-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
especially the idea that on the flop you're going to make a terrible call to attempt to take a shot at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a small chance i am ahead. he will raise a lot of hands preflop here.

when im behind, my outs are more likely to be clean than in other HU situations.

this is the only turn card i would take a shot with, as i can fold out a lot of better hands.

DBowling
06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget, we don't need to be ahead of Villian's stealing range to make this a call. We are getting over 3:1 to see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

chesspain
06-26-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be all well and good if Hero was calling all-in without worrying about the pesky matter of playing the flop and beyond.

DBowling
06-26-2005, 06:33 PM
i think i handle myself well preflop, though im not certain that this is a good example of that.

Jeff W
06-26-2005, 06:45 PM
How many hands on villain?

I don't think the pre flop call is bad. Your equity is 40-50% w/ 3.3:1 odds. Of course, you need to dump your hand most of the time post flop.

Fold the flop. Fold the turn.

SmileyEH
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a tangent, but I think one of the biggest mistakes that players who post here make is not stealing enough, and not defending enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny you say this, because I was flamed for my pre-flop defense decision in the following hand:

link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=smallholdem&amp;Number=272 1568&amp;Forum=,,All_Forums,,&amp;Words=&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limi t=25&amp;Main=2721568&amp;Search=true&amp;where=&amp;Name=4165&amp;dat erange=&amp;newerval=&amp;newertype=&amp;olderval=&amp;oldertype=&amp; bodyprev=#Post2721568)

[/ QUOTE ]

What I think, and what many posters on the board think are often in dissagreement. In this hand though I think even 64s is beyond what I would defend with, unless I had a good read on the villian. However, defending with it can never be much more than a very small mistake.

-SmileyEH

SmileyEH
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I'd just like to say I think the preflop call is correct, but I don't agree with postflop play. This is a board I'd much rather just checkfold on.

-SmileyEH

soweak.
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I would agree with most of the people and dump it pre-flop. I dont even think againt a random hand you're much of a favorite, plus the only real reason to play against him is to hit a favorable flop, which hasn't happened.

However, on the turn I would just call then lead the river. The only reason is that the check/call, check-raise on this board is to be expected with every hand except any hands that are winning here. Against good players a board of 666A is too good a board to bluff, so when you lead the turn it looks as if you're value betting as opposed to sucking your opponent in with a turn C/R.

Against a good opponent I feel you will just get three-bet way to often with and hand the CO might steal with.

sthief09
06-26-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
especially the idea that on the flop you're going to make a terrible call to attempt to take a shot at the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a small chance i am ahead. he will raise a lot of hands preflop here.

when im behind, my outs are more likely to be clean than in other HU situations.

this is the only turn card i would take a shot with, as i can fold out a lot of better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares if you have the best hand? he has initiative. you have 6 outs even if he has 32o

Justin A
06-26-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true then you should be folding the flop.

Nick C
06-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Regarding preflop: I am tempted to play, as CO should be raising a very high percentage of the time in this spot.

However, I will say that I don't actually see many "any two" steal-raises from posters in the CO at Party 3/6.

This Villain could be a player who makes such steal-raises, though.

If that's what you strongly suspect, and you want to play, I wonder if 3-betting preflop might be something to consider.

I don't think I'd do it, because I'd be too worried CO had a real hand, but I thought I'd bring up the idea.