PDA

View Full Version : Women's Golf

mason55
06-26-2005, 03:48 PM
So, as I'm watching the US Open, interested in the LPGA for the first time I ever remember, I'm wondering if women's golf is going to be like women's tennis?

With Tiger playing more uninspired golf, the men's tour is stuck with two very uncharismatic superstars in Mickelson and Singh. No other player has any real drawing power and Mickelson and Singh are boring as hell. If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically. Very remeniscent of men's tennis in the 90s.

The women's tour, however, has many intriguing story lines. First, you have Sorenstam, who's just a monster, dominating the tour. She is uncharismatic, but I think she is dominant enough to draw a crowd. Then you have a few teenagers, who are all very young and at least somewhat attractive, destroying the stereotype of the LPGA just being full of a bunch of lesbians.

Can anyone see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in popularity in the next few years as these young phenoms mature?

Vince Young
06-26-2005, 03:50 PM
No.

mason55
06-26-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very insightful commentary. Great contribution.

tbach24
06-26-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't see it happening. People just like to watch the PGA. You walk into the golf shop at a course and that's what they have on. Not the LPGA tour.

mason55
06-26-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see it happening. People just like to watch the PGA. You walk into the golf shop at a course and that's what they have on. Not the LPGA tour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it this how it was with men's tennis at one point? Thank Agassi/Sampras/Chang era and before that Connors/McEnroe

Edit: When the charismatic players stopped winning and retired in men's tennis, the women's side was right there to take over with the Williams sisters, Kournikova, and other talents/marketing gimmicks. It just seems like the situation is repeating itself with golf.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 04:01 PM
There's something to be said for the drama of watching these chicks break down and cry on like the 5th hole.

It's been discussed before, but the sexier they dress, the more viewership they will draw, plain and simple.

ononimo
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess placing 1st and 2nd in the first two majors of the year just ain't what it used to be ...

on_thg
06-27-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in popularity in the next few years as these young phenoms mature?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I can see increasing ratings for the LPGA help kill whatever's left of the Senior, er, Champions Tour.

The main reason is that the personalities on the women's tour aren't really any more interesting than those on the men's tour. A lot of the players come across as very nice, which ends up also meaning boring. You also have a higher percentage of international players, many of whom don't speak English as a first language and as a result are limited to cliche-speak in interviews.

Speaking of LPGA players, Dottie Pepper is getting better at the TV job, but she still pretty much sucks.

BreakfastBurrito
06-27-2005, 01:47 PM
From what I've seen, people love Phil Mickelson. Him playing well seems to get crowds going completely bonkers everytime. I'm not sure I get your beef with him.

andyfox
06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
They need a commissioner or somebody who knows how to market the tour. These women are athletes and, since there now appear to be a group of younger women golfers who are attractive, if they used some sex appeal, the tour could be very popular.

eric5148
06-27-2005, 04:25 PM
The decline of mens tennis has very little to do with personality.

Modern mens tennis is two big guys hitting 130 mph serves and standing at the baseline bashing the hell out of the ball until one guy mishits and catches the net or goes out.

Women's tennis still has the finesse and exciting rallies that makes tennis a fun game to watch.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The decline of mens tennis is mainly because of advances in fitness and equipment. The same thing is happening in golf, but it's a long way from destroying the game as much as tennis.

If golf equipment does change the game enough to make it boring, it will do the same thing to both men and women.

eric5148
06-27-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They need a commissioner or somebody who knows how to market the tour. These women are athletes and, since there now appear to be a group of younger women golfers who are attractive, if they used some sex appeal, the tour could be very popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is Ty Votaw's last year, so it should be interesting to see how the new commissioner (female) handles the marketing.

BreakfastBurrito
06-27-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Modern mens tennis is two big guys hitting 130 mph serves and standing at the baseline bashing the hell out of the ball until one guy mishits and catches the net or goes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at typical winners vs unforced errors stats for mens' and womens' matches, it would tell a very different story than the one you present.

Also, it would only seem that the game is more boring because the only player you will ever see on TV within the United States is Andy Roddick. God forbid they ever show any number of extremely entertaining mens' matches that are between two foreign players. This is one of the main reasons why the US Open is my favorite sporting event to attend live yet I will barely ever watch tennis on TV.

eric5148
06-27-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you look at typical winners vs unforced errors stats for mens' and womens' matches, it would tell a very different story than the one you present.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm not talking about stats, I'm talking about the style of play.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it would only seem that the game is more boring because the only player you will ever see on TV within the United States is Andy Roddick.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not be from the U.S. I've seen every top player from every country. Of course every country's broadcasts will be somewhat biased towards their players.

RacersEdge
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, as I'm watching the US Open, interested in the LPGA for the first time I ever remember, I'm wondering if women's golf is going to be like women's tennis?

With Tiger playing more uninspired golf, the men's tour is stuck with two very uncharismatic superstars in Mickelson and Singh. No other player has any real drawing power and Mickelson and Singh are boring as hell. If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically. Very remeniscent of men's tennis in the 90s.

The women's tour, however, has many intriguing story lines. First, you have Sorenstam, who's just a monster, dominating the tour. She is uncharismatic, but I think she is dominant enough to draw a crowd. Then you have a few teenagers, who are all very young and at least somewhat attractive, destroying the stereotype of the LPGA just being full of a bunch of lesbians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly gaining, but not coming anywhere near the PGA. The skill level is just too far below.

Eurotrash
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With Tiger playing more uninspired golf, the men's tour is stuck with two very uncharismatic superstars in Mickelson and Singh. No other player has any real drawing power and Mickelson and Singh are boring as hell

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well I'm a big Mickelson mark, so I would have to say this isn't too right. Is it just because they don't do fist-pumping routines and yell at their errant tee shots; would that make them more charistmatic like Tiger? Maybe if they put on the incredulous look or pouty face every time they miss a putt.

[ QUOTE ]
If Tiger doesn't pick it up then I can see the popularity of the men's tour falling off dramatically. Very remeniscent of men's tennis in the 90s.

[/ QUOTE ]

the best players in the world are all playing at the top of their games. I really find this very unlikely. I'm more excited to watch golf right now than I ever was, and I've always enjoyed watching

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I can't really see the LPGA overtaking the PGA in terms of popularity.